Dross

ProfessorFart

Colin Piprel has got Thai/falang antics down to a tee!

I've read 'Kicking Dogs' and 'Yawn' both a great read!

Colin Piprel is the most unrecognized writer out there.

Not only is he one of the nicest people one could ever hope to meet, like Mr leather, he is genius, who I hope will give us more of his great work.

? He is one of the nicest people one could ever hope to meet, like Mr Leather

or

he is, like Mr Leather, a genius?

Maybe both?

SC

"the difference between genius and madness is measured by success"

they both are in there own way

we all have it

we just do not use it

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Jack Reynolds book is almost impossible to find cheaply-indeed if at all. It is also pretty good. I don't know why White Lotus/Orchid/Asia Books or whatever don't re-issue it. It was re-issued once in 1992 by DK I think..

Yeah I bought the DK edition (new) in early 1998. I'm amazed it is so rare and even valuable now. I wonder if it could be found in Khao San second hand book shops?

An old edition of woman of Bangkok was for sale in DASA bookshop, Sukhumvit Road, last time I was there, a couple of months ago. Have a look on their website for their up to date book list.

So much crap is published, mostly self-published in the Kingdom. Avoid Bangkok bookhouse like the plague. The only decent title I can think of is Bangkok Eight, and then the follow up four books were below par to be honest. Personally I think C. More is terrible, and that Piperill guy, please.

"The Falcon of Siam" - That's the daddy of expat books.

Private Dancer is one of the better novels by far.

How can anyone think Private Dancer is anything but pure fiction?

Its obvious that the women who made the move to work in tourist areas are there to support their much-loved children (that they've left at home with their parents) and, of course, their parents.

They hang out in farang bars 'cos the Thai men have disappointed them, so they find farang men far more attractive.

Happens all over the world that the local women find foreign men far more attractive - not because they're interested in money - they just don't like the men from their own country.

8>< SNIP NESTED QUOTES DELETED ><9

"the difference between genius and madness is measured by success"

they both are in there own way

we all have it

we just do not use it

I'd be frightened to break it if I used it too much

SC

I have been reading Speeding and Bars, Babes & Bimbo's by Al Culler, rather more entertaining and original than a lot of the stuff. They are available as Kindle eBooks (which can also be read on the PC or Mac if you go to amazon.com and download the software)

I was especially annoyed by Stephen Leather's Private Dancer which seemed to be a bit of a rip-off of A Woman of Bangkok and nowhere near as good. Leather isn't a bad writer and I have enjoyed his other books but there is something off about Private Dancer - but as it was a free download at the time I could not really complain.

Moore gets reasonable plots but churns out too much prose to pull it off - I was really irate when his publisher compared him to Graham Greene who could capture in a single sentence what Moore fails to do in a whole chapter. A Quiet American is possibly the best Far East novel... or what about Saint Jack by Paul Theroux, a rather sleazy Singapore before it went hi-tech.

The OP based their expectations on probably the biggest farang hypocrite out there. All the author had to do, to get that good review, was to throw a few Baht Stickman's way. Personally I don't read too many reviews, if a book looks interesting then I read it.

I doubt that money changed hands as they are good friends...

The OP based their expectations on probably the biggest farang hypocrite out there. All the author had to do, to get that good review, was to throw a few Baht Stickman's way. Personally I don't read too many reviews, if a book looks interesting then I read it.