Applying For An International Driving License...

GizmoBKK

To whom it may concern...

My international driving license, issued in my home country, expired a while ago. Getting a new one via my embassy in Bangkok is not possible; I would have to apply for a new one once I visit my home country.

However, I just realized, that it is possible to apply for a international driving license also in Thailand if you have a local driving license already.

You can get it at the Land Transport Office Mo Chit if you bring the following

• Original Passport and non-immigrant visa
  • an authorized letter from your embassy stating your address in Thailand OR a Thai work permit
  • your original Thai driving license valid more than one year
  • two 2 inch photos (not more than 6 months old)
  • 505 Baht fee
  • one photo copy of each of the a.m. documents with your signature
  • and if you send somebody on your behalf, you need an letter of authorization with your signature and an additional 10 (!) Baht fee.

The whole thing is much more expensice than getting a local driving license, but probably still cheaper than in any Western country.

This are the conditions as of yesterday, and it worked out well for me. Note that this is Thailand and things might be same same but different any time anywhere… Hope that sharing this information might be helpful.

Yeah provincial places will take the applications and post them to mor chit.. Took about 6 weeks to get mine when I first got a real 5 year Thai one..

Also handy is they make it really hard to see when it expires.. :o It does actually have a 'valid for one year' but only printed on the back of the document and it would pass a cursory check in most places.

Yeah provincial places will take the applications and post them to mor chit.. Took about 6 weeks to get mine when I first got a real 5 year Thai one..

Also handy is they make it really hard to see when it expires.. :D It does actually have a 'valid for one year' but only printed on the back of the document and it would pass a cursory check in most places.

Can I ask where you can use this licence ? :)

Its a fully legal IDP.. So all over the world.. Same as any IDP..

I dont have a UK bike license and since I left the UK they have made it really difficult to get one (I could have grandfathered in if I had known) so as a non resident I can use it back there for bikes for visits.. Plus anywhere really.. Most countries are part of the IDP program.