Good Adsl 2 Modem?

Crushdepth

I had a billion modem with my True ADSL last year - let me look around my Computer Junk store - if ive still got it, you can have it (you will just need to flash the firmware) - i will look tonight when i get home

Otherwise - it was a ok modem, served its purpose, no complaints but then i didnt mess around with any of the settings, I cannot remember what the model was tho :o

Billion was my first TOT modem years back, it was basically total crap. Seriously. Connection was interrupted all the time, and you had to go there and restart it - soft reboot via web interface didn't work. I also had about 4 power adapters go on it. Admittedly this was the cheapest modem at TOT but it's still no excuse for the terrible quality.

Then I got a Zyxel and everything was OK. So I'd recommend the Zyxel :o

Ok I just had a trip to Fortune over lunch. It is suprisingly hard to find a simple ADSL2+ modem. Nearly all are some combination of modem + router/gateway/firewall/wireless. I guess you can turn the other functions *off* but I didn't really want to pay for them. I just wanted a dumb box to interface my router with the ADSL.

I could only find one straight modem, a TP-link that I didn't like the look of. So I got the next simplest thing I could find - a one port Zyxel compact ADSL2+ 'router', which supports bridging. It's pretty basic but that was the whole idea. About B1,300.

Thanks for the offer Wolfie but hopefully this will do me. At least its cheap enough to chuck if it doesn't work out.

Ok I just had a trip to Fortune over lunch. It is suprisingly hard to find a simple ADSL2+ modem. Nearly all are some combination of modem + router/gateway/firewall/wireless. I guess you can turn the other functions *off* but I didn't really want to pay for them. I just wanted a dumb box to interface my router with the ADSL.

I could only find one straight modem, a TP-link that I didn't like the look of. So I got the next simplest thing I could find - a one port Zyxel compact ADSL2+ 'router', which supports bridging. It's pretty basic but that was the whole idea. About B1,300.

Thanks for the offer Wolfie but hopefully this will do me. At least its cheap enough to chuck if it doesn't work out.

Good pick! I was just about to suggest the P-660R-T1 v2 and I guess you bought that one (by the way, retail price should now be around 1100)

Only bad thing about this router is the power supply. It's a simple 12V DC adapter (unregulated) and very sensitive to power fluctuations.

In this country with its almost daily power interruptions its a good idea to have a UPS.

Connect your ADSL modem powersupply to this so your download continues during a power failure.

And it will protect your ADSL modem from surges and spikes on the power lines.