English Teacher With Tefl Having Trouble Finding Work

derekhhh

Hi,

I am an English teacher with about 1 and 3/4 years experience (1 1/2 years of informal experience as a volunteer teacher and a few months of formal experience working in Bangkok), a TEFL certificate and bachelor's degree. I've been applying at schools in Chiang Mai ever since January this year. Recently I decided to come here so that I could fill out applications in person. I've been here for about three days and have been visiting the schools and submitting applications.

Still, I'm not having luck finding a job or even getting an interview. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me.

I appreciate the help.

Edited by derekhhh

Don't really want to lower your hopes but every second young expat who comes to Thailand wants to be a teacher. There are only just so many jobs :o

Agreed. Chiang Mai is a tough market to break into. Try Lamohun or Lampang for better results.

Also, in the last couple of months, nobody is really looking for anyone because of the holidays. Try looking in Mid/late May, when the 'desperates' will be looking. :D

Edited by Ajarn

This might not have to do with you or an over abundance of teachers, if I recall all that BS is about to happen with the new requirements. (PeaceBlondie might chime in for me, I got out of teaching in Oct, so I don't know.)

Furthermore, because most schools are going to be starting in a matter of weeks they may already be filled, but submit your resumé anyways in case someone is a no show.

Good luck, it really is a great job to have.

Hi,

I am an English teacher with about 1 and 3/4 years experience (1 1/2 years of informal experience as a volunteer teacher and a few months of formal experience working in Bangkok), a TEFL certificate and bachelor's degree. I've been applying at schools in Chiang Mai ever since January this year. Recently I decided to come here so that I could fill out applications in person. I've been here for about three days and have been visiting the schools and submitting applications.

Still, I'm not having luck finding a job or even getting an interview. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me.

I appreciate the help.

Last night a friend told me that YMCA was now practically empty of Thai students wanting to learn English, although the courses for Farangs learning Thai were still about the same. He said there were practically no Farang teachers there whereas a year ago the place had quite a few. Apparently, it used to be a hive of activity but now the place is practically dead!!

Sign of the (economic) times?

I do think that the economic 'situation' has a lot to do with it... not only with the scarcity of jobs but with the overabundance of teachers. However, Chiang Mai is a very popular place for young farang teachers, including myself, which means it's not a fair image of the teaching situation around the country.

I've recently spoken to a number of teachers in Issan, including non-native English speakers, who had little trouble finding jobs.

So how's your Thai? :)

Try Dara Academy along Kaewnawarat Rd. They were waiting for a MOE directive regarding the number of hours of English they can include in their curriculum. They just got the news and are now looking for more teachers. The benefits and management of the foreign-teacher programme make it one of the best schools in Chiang Mai for teachers. Ask to speak to an American named Todd.

I know several people that just got teaching jobs in Chiang Mai... but have TEFL from outside Thailand and accredited.... and Master's Degree.

1) Most high end well paying schools are not looking for young teachers from BKK with little experience and most likely a fake TEFL

2) These schools like teachers late 30's to and 40's ... 20 year old's usually are problematic

3) TEFL is not enough... most good schools will also make sure you have a university degree also.

4) Teachers here are a dime a dozen... good teachers are hard to come by.

--A

I know several people that just got teaching jobs in Chiang Mai... but have TEFL from outside Thailand and accredited.... and Master's Degree.

1) Most high end well paying schools are not looking for young teachers from BKK with little experience and most likely a fake TEFL

2) These schools like teachers late 30's to and 40's ... 20 year old's usually are problematic

3) TEFL is not enough... most good schools will also make sure you have a university degree also.

--A

I have a Bachelor's Degree and a real TEFL. I've had one job offer me a position when I was in American (which I couldn't take because of my lease) because they wanted someone who was young who the students could relate to more- they chose me over people who had more than 6 years of experience because of my age. It's not the same situation everywhere you look.

And to me, knowledge of how to teach is one of the many things that make a good teacher- others are patience, enthusiasm, heart, ect.

The job situation is a problem world wide due to the recession and i would imagine the pay for teachers in Thailand are generaly very poor especialy with the increased costs of many things.

Edited by patklang

--A

I have a Bachelor's Degree and a real TEFL. I've had one job offer me a position when I was in American (which I couldn't take because of my lease) because they wanted someone who was young who the students could relate to more- they chose me over people who had more than 6 years of experience because of my age. It's not the same situation everywhere you look.

And to me, knowledge of how to teach is one of the many things that make a good teacher- others are patience, enthusiasm, heart, ect.

And may it be asked: Your real TEFL is...?

Have you tried the international schools here? This is the time when they often hire for the autumn.

Hi,

I appreciate the help.

--A

And may it be asked: Your real TEFL is...?

I don't know why you're asking me this and troubling me. I had called my University in Colorado asking about teaching abroad and they referred me to a teacher trainer who teaches the TEFL program, which is called One World Training. I took his course.

Thanks for being of help Larry.. I will look into the International schools I haven't already contacted.

If you have a BS or a BA in anything I understand Chiang Mai University will hire you part time and the pay is pretty good from what I heard from some of the English teachers. If you have a Masters degree they will hire you full time which includes salary, paid holidays, health benefits, extra classes for extra pay and a housing allowance. I know they are pretty hard up for good English teachers and it is a revolving door around here from what I have seen.