Face Masks

wobblyjohn

I need to fly to the UK soon and am a little concerned about infection of the recently reported swine flu, I have seen people on the news wearing protective face masks and would buy some in Pattaya, can anyone advise me where to try

Yes I fly back to the UK in a month as well, I am also concerned......

^ Are you going to carry a lightening conductor as well, we have a lot higher chance of getting struck by lightening than catching 'Flu" :)

The drug companies are laughing all the way to the bank though! :D

is this thread serious? we really think we need to be wearing masks? good lord, humanity is fuc_ked...

On sky news just an hour ago, chief medical man said the masks were Useless, even the medical ones only protect you for about 1/2 hour.

BT

I need to fly to the UK soon and am a little concerned about infection of the recently reported swine flu, I have seen people on the news wearing protective face masks and would buy some in Pattaya, can anyone advise me where to try

And Thailand has no swine flu then? Foot and mouth and SARS but no swine flu.

Get a life.

The face masks seem to be more effective at preventing the wearer from spreading the disease if he/she has it than they are at stopping the wearer contracting the virus from somebody else. In other words, wearing them is basically a social act in case you have the flu and don't yet know it. That's according to the BBC, anyway.

I recall reading a year or two back that airlines have greatly reduced the air flow through the cabins to save money. This has been blamed for causing people to get sick on flights. It sounds to me - though I don't know how much it would really help - as if it would be a good idea for governments to tell the airlines to forget about fuel costs while swine flu is around, and go back to circulating as much air through the cabins as possible. Anyone know if that would help?

The masks don't prevent viral spread, either in or out - it's the same. The filter size is way too big. If you really had a closed filter that prevents viral particles from passing though, you would'nt be able to breathe through it very easily - the air would suck in from the sides. In any case, I believe the virus can take hold through any exposed epithelial membrane - including your eyes. Most of the fragile-looking masks used to prevent intake of traffic pollution are equally useless. Surgical masks that are often used only prevent movement of aerosols - liquid droplets that are quite big - OK, they also prevent movement of any viruses in those droplets, but don't per se prevent viral transfer.

Well I'm afraid you are mostly wrong...it depends on the quality and type of face mask..I refer you to the feature in UK newspaper as follows:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...rotect-you.html

As you will see you can have 99% safety abd anyone who currrently flys at this time without a face mask must be MAD!! :)

In addition you will see Bangkok Airport are giving ALL arrivals face masks AFTER flying, very clever!!

The masks don't prevent viral spread, either in or out - it's the same. The filter size is way too big. If you really had a closed filter that prevents viral particles from passing though, you would'nt be able to breathe through it very easily - the air would suck in from the sides. In any case, I believe the virus can take hold through any exposed epithelial membrane - including your eyes. Most of the fragile-looking masks used to prevent intake of traffic pollution are equally useless. Surgical masks that are often used only prevent movement of aerosols - liquid droplets that are quite big - OK, they also prevent movement of any viruses in those droplets, but don't per se prevent viral transfer.

Well I'm afraid you are mostly wrong...it depends on the quality and type of face mask

The higher end ones are only for health workers. The cheap ones are useless. Your post was misleading. The cheap masks people are wearing do not help.

Not many people know this; but the eyes are the number one gateway for infection. Buy yourself a pair of swimming goggles for 40 baht from tourist shops on the Beach Roads of Pattaya & Jomtien.

They sort of dig in your eye sockets after several hours of use but be sure to extend the rubber strap for extra comfort. Also consider buying a clear plastic so you can read on the plane journey. Hope this advice helps.

Edited by syd barrett

Sorry but you are argumentive for no need, the highest priced ones are available at the medical supllies pharmacy on the Sukumvit Road, sold as a package or individually at 240 baht each, ultimately its your choice, but I bet if you were sitting next to a infectious person, you would be wearing a mask,...or maybe you would not!

tr myn

Well I'm afraid you are mostly wrong...it depends on the quality and type of face mask

The higher end ones are only for health workers. The cheap ones are useless. Your post was misleading. The cheap masks people are wearing do not help.

some thoughts of the day:

"That's right people... a total of 8 people died from the swine flu world wide... More people have died in Mexico during this time frame due to too much drinking."

"Swine flu is now affecting .000002% of the population! With a 5% mortality rate!"

"That's right people... a total of 8 people died from the swine flu world wide... More people have died in Mexico during this time frame due to too much drinking."

"Swine flu is now affecting .000002% of the population! With a 5% mortality rate!"

Totally twisted BS. Suspected many more people have died in Mexico and many were young healthy types that would not normally die from a normal flu.

Totally twisted BS. Suspected many more people have died in Mexico and many were young healthy types that would not normally die from a normal flu.

i'm confused. are you saying there are a lot more unreported swine fle deaths in Mexico and that many of those deaths have been young healthy types? sorry, i'm slow tonight, i've been high on mescaline all day...

Edited by anothertorres

i'm confused. are you saying there are a lot more unreported swine fle deaths in Mexico and that many of those deaths have been young healthy types? sorry, i'm slow tonight, i've been high on mescaline all day...

Many more suspected deaths, just not officially confirmed as yet. Yes, many of the deaths in Mexico have been of the kinds of people who would not normally die in a normal flu cycle. So far, the US cases are not showing that pattern. Scientists don't yet know why for sure, but remember viruses mutate over time. The significance is that this is a totally new virus carrying genetic info from multiple species. It is still developing in its human potential, and whether or not it becomes like another 1918 again is a potential only, not a certainty. If it strengthens, in theory most everyone exposed to it in anyway will become infected because humans have no immunity to it. The theory about why young people die is that they are strong and their immune system goes into overdrive to kill the virus, but it kills them instead.

Edited by Jingthing

Not many people know this; but the eyes are the number one gateway for infection. Buy yourself a pair of swimming goggles for 40 baht from tourist shops on the Beach Roads of Pattaya & Jomtien.

They sort of dig in your eye sockets after several hours of use but be sure to extend the rubber strap for extra comfort. Also consider buying a clear plastic so you can read on the plane journey. Hope this advice helps.

LOL this is a joke right?

I would assume Fascino on North Pattaya Road would stock them. But they don't work, you know that right?

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/97522/...ould-be-useless

Are you basing your theory on the news report you linked, or do you have some scientific evidence to back up your claim that they don't work?

The article you linked contradicts itself more than once in that it indicates that they do work if changed often, and then says they don't work and the title says that they MAY not work.

Quotes from that article:

1. "...face masks COULD be useless" - this implies they could also work.

2. "To be effective, masks would need to be changed twice a day and be disposed of correctly" - this indicates that they are effective if changed twice a day.

3. "But this would be too costly and impossible to monitor, according to GP and Daily Express columnist Dr Rosemary Leonard." - this would not be too costly for everyone.

4. " “Once they are wet, they don’t work and because of respiration they become damp fairly quickly. If you wore one for two or three hours, it would be damp and wouldn’t offer any protection because it becomes more porous and any virus would just seep in." - this indicates that they would be useful if kept dry and changed every 2 or 3 hours.

5. "“Everyone would need a new one twice a day so we would need a ­phenomenal amount. There is no scientific basis that they work and it is false reassurance." - a contradiction. They say that people would need a new one twice a day and then that there is no scietific "basis" that they work. If they don't work, why would anyone need to change them twice a day.... and where is the scientific evidence that they don't work?

Your news report is merely the opinion of one so called (and confused) unnamed expert.

In my opinion it would be better to have some air filtration through a face mask than none at all.

These masks are made with different grades of filtration and materials, therefore for those who wish to wear one i would advise on purchasing one that is not made simply from cotton such as a surgical mask which is prone to moisture, but an industrial type which are used in factories to prevent dust particles entering your mouth and nose. They are also shaped to avoid touching the lips and nasel passages and are made from a mixed fibre. The better ones have 2 small filters attached either side of the nose.

I went to a well known hospital in Pat's yesterday and got a prescription for Tamiflu as you can only get this in Hospitals in Thailand.

Basically, I have been informed that if worse did come to worse, and I say again if worse did come to worse, the stockpile in Thailand would be used for Thai's as first priority and foreigners would need to seek alternative arrangements.

When first told this I thought surely not, but thinking with typical Thai logic, you could bet that these stockpiles would certainly be kept for the locals.

So I thought, why take the risk, the old boy scout motto "Be Prepared".

Basically, I have been informed that if worse did come to worse, and I say again if worse did come to worse, the stockpile in Thailand would be used for Thai's as first priority and foreigners would need to seek alternative arrangements.

Alternative arrangements?

You mean die? You can't get on a plane when you are in an acute flu crisis and by the time you can, you either survived or you didn't.

I am not surprised that the stocks would go to Thais first. This issue should be elevated here.

How about our EMBASSIES? Are our embassies making contingency plans to stock tamiflu for our nationals here?

Edited by Jingthing