Appendicitis X 4

Ducati

My son has just had his appendix removed, all went well thank goodness. Prior to his op I had spoken to someone else who's son went through the exact procedure a week ago and now I hear another boy in the same year same school has had to have his appendix taken out. Also the daughter of my husband boss went through it only 2 weeks ago. Can it be a virus or is this because times are hard and the hospital needs to make money on farangs?

Try to get the pathology report on the analysis of the appendix after removal; the surgeon should have sent it for confirmation.

Where a few cases occur so close together, it could be a misdiagnosis of "mesenteric adenitis" which is an inflammatory reaction of the lymh glands of the intestines due to a viral infection usually. Sometimes this can present like an acute appendicitis but an ultrasound of the abdomen may at times help to get to the correct diagnosis.

A Doctor's diagnosis of acute appendicitis is fraught with difficulty. When a Doctor is presented with acute abdomen one has to err on the side of caution.

The risk of peritonitis must be avoided so removal of the appendix might be performed unneccessarily.