How Much Cash Can You Bring Into Thailand?

PostmanPat

Hi All,

Can anyone give precise info about how much cash you can legitimately bring into Thailand? I am British, going back to visit family in May, and in view of currency volitility I thought this time instead of doing International Transactions via Banks, I would bring the cash I normally need to live on here to last for the next six months or so.

I believe whatever I bring, it is advisable to have a letter from my UK Bank confirming that the amount withdrawn is from a legitimate source. The last thing I would need is a problem with Thai customs/ Immigration on arrival!! I was thinking of bringing about 10,000 quid, by the way. Is this OK or not?

There may be a limit on the amount you can bring in without having to declare it.

There's nothing on the TM6 about how much money you're carrying, so maybe there isn't a limit.

Ask the Thai Embassy or Consulate when you get your visa.

As far as I know, there is no limit to the amount of money you can bring into Thailand. There are, however, restrictions about bringing it out.

You might want to consider bringing that considerable amount of money in the form of traveler's checks. You get a better exchange rate here in Thailand and it's safer. Some banks don't charge a commission if you buy TC in large amounts. I never had to pay commission when buying Amexco TC.

Don't buy Thai Baht in the UK. The exchange rate here is much better.

You can bring an unlimited amount of money into Thailand, however if it is more than 20,000 USD you must declare it. Note that your own country also will have regulations about taking money out of the country.

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Trave...?menuNme=Travel

Bringing large sums of cash will always raise suspicion.

Thanks for replies so far...but maybe I wasnt very clear....I live here and have for five years, its not holiday cash, and, no, having lived here this long it sure as hel_l isnt going to end up with a bargirl!!

Its a genuine query about bringing money in to live on.

hi post man pat, no limits on entering thailand, the only problem the thai wife and i had was at this side, customs asked if i had any cash, i said yes, they siad how much< i said 8k, they hit the roof, follow me sir!!!! in to a small room examined all the money, wanted to know even my shoe size, thought they were going to keep it !!!!!! they said anything over 5k has to be declared at customs, if i bought any of it back over 5k had to declare that as well, horrible start to our holiday, ohh never bought any back !!!!!!!

BOT website - I've only read it in Thai - but it makes it quite clear thast there is NO limit on the amount of THai Baht cash that maybe brought into the country without decelaration.

The issue you willhave to deal with is the customs excise of the coutnry you are taking it out of e.g. UK Customs & Excise will want to see paperwork associated with the export of any large sum, and the Uncle Sam has a similar rule in respect of large sums of U$D.

If you can't support it with legit paperwork, good chance it will be confiscated - well, UK C&E will for sure take it away from you. I dont know what the USA limit is, for the UK I think red flag go up with anything above about Sterling 10K.

I do about 4 trips a year to the UK with a 6 figure sum of cash (to pay for agricultural equipment) and everytime I declare it (both on departure from Thailand, and arrival UK side) I get asked a 1001 questions and get quizzed on the supporting paperwork(especialy because its coming from Thailand - with all the connetations associated with cash from South East Asia).

But so long as you have paperwork showing the origin (ie. withdrawal from own bank account, or similar) and a plausible explination (i.e. property, apartment, house, car purchase ... or whatever), you should be fine. Just keep in mind - UK C&E have enourmous powers when it comes to confiscation and prying into your computer and paperwork in your baggage - without having to get a search warrant.

I have posted the link to the customs website in post number 6 that says you do have to declare it. Who to believe? In my opinion it makes sence to require declaration if you bring in more then a certain ammount. But that's just me.

BOT website - I've only read it in Thai - but it makes it quite clear thast there is NO limit on the amount of THai Baht cash that maybe brought into the country without decelaration.

The issue you willhave to deal with is the customs excise of the coutnry you are taking it out of e.g. UK Customs & Excise will want to see paperwork associated with the export of any large sum, and the Uncle Sam has a similar rule in respect of large sums of U$D.

If you can't support it with legit paperwork, good chance it will be confiscated - well, UK C&E will for sure take it away from you. I dont know what the USA limit is, for the UK I think red flag go up with anything above about Sterling 10K.

I do about 4 trips a year to the UK with a 6 figure sum of cash (to pay for agricultural equipment) and everytime I declare it (both on departure from Thailand, and arrival UK side) I get asked a 1001 questions and get quizzed on the supporting paperwork(especialy because its coming from Thailand - with all the connetations associated with cash from South East Asia).

But so long as you have paperwork showing the origin (ie. withdrawal from own bank account, or similar) and a plausible explination (i.e. property, apartment, house, car purchase ... or whatever), you should be fine. Just keep in mind - UK C&E have enourmous powers when it comes to confiscation and prying into your computer and paperwork in your baggage - without having to get a search warrant.

In fact the threshold is £1,000 cash. More than that and HMRC can seize it at their whim and insist that you convince them that you came by the money lawfully (which includes proving that you have declared/paid for income tax purposes. If you fail to meet their criteria they may apply for a confiscation order under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002. Beware - they do not need to show grounds for suspicion. I recommend taking any large sums by travellers cheque including a copy of the purchase receipt against a bank account in your own name. Direct transfer is the other alternative, but requires a receiving account. This is an area in which cash is no longer King.

I have posted the link to the customs website in post number 6 that says you do have to declare it. Who to believe? In my opinion it makes sence to require declaration if you bring in more then a certain ammount. But that's just me.

Not quite what the BOT website says - yes, who to believe, because on the Thai Customs website you have noted, I see it first says:

For a passenger who has the following only:

Green Channel - no decleration)

Personal belonging in reasonable amount for owner’s use and the total value not exceeding 10,000 baht.

No clarification on the above if its in respect of TB specifically - or across the board (i.e. in respect of any currency)

.. further down we read:

Currency Limitation

For Thai currency, the amount of Baht 50,000 or more must be reported on departure to Customs, except those traveling to Lao PDR., Myanmar, Cambodia, Malaysia, and Vietnam are allowed to take out Thai currency not exceeding 500,000 Baht.

..... thats pretty clear.

"For Foreign currency, any person who brings or takes and aggregate amount of foreign currency exceeding USD 20,000 or its equivalent out of or into the Kingdom of Thailand shall declare such amount of foreign currency to Customs. Failure to declare or make false declaration is a criminal offence".

Now read what it says on the BOT website - and I am translating here to the best of my ability:

"A person who brings into, or takes out of Thailand a total amount of foreign currency (note: the operative word here is foreign currency - and there's no mistake about that i.e. I'm 100% sure I have not misread/mis-translated that) exceeding USD 20 000 needs to declare this to a customs officer@.

It goes onto say (and this was the OP's original question, was it not? i.e. how much can be brought into the country in TB):

"There is no restriction on the amount of Thai Baht that may be brought into, or taken out of the country."

I think that what may appear at first to be differances, is really in respect of amounts to be decleared or not decleared, versus the rule regards amounts in general (immaterial of declearation or non-decleration).

It goes onto say (and this was the OP's original question, was it not? i.e. how much can be brought into the country in TB):

I think here lies the confusion. The OP doesn't mention the money is in Thai baht, the impression I have is that it will be British Pounds. For Thai baht probably different rules apply.

Why risk carrying that much cash??

Open an account in Thailand and then TT over what you need and when you need it.

That way the governments in Thailand and your country have a record.

• 3 weeks later...

US Customs states that you can take $10,000(USD) out of the country without reporting, is that per person OR per party? Example...if me and my wife were coming to LOS could we both bring 10K a piece?

Bringing 10 Grand cash out of the UK is likely to set of the alarm bells, so that letter may prove handy at Heathrow :D

Not true,UK exchange controls dictate that anything over and above 10,000 sterling should be declared and source of funds proven,12,500 Euros for most of EEC but I think you may find Thai Customs and Immigration a little less generous on this count! :)

If I was you I'd check with Thai embassy in UK for exact amounts.

On a trip back from Dubai one time I saw a guy of middle eastern appearance having his baggage searched at the side of the "nothing to declare" exit.

4 custom guys were pulling out huge bundles of $100 bills, there must have been a million dollars there at least!

I often wonder what would happen to the cash like this if you did not declare it.