Non O Extension

Cost of extension is 1,900.

Requiered documents depends on the extension. Is it based on work or on marriage to a Thai national?

The marriage extension is more of a hassel and requires 40,000 a mont or 400,000 in the bank, the extension based on work requires an income of 50,000 baht per month if he is from a western country.

If he is working and married to a Thai that would be the best extension to get. To prove the income of 40,000 per month he would need to show 3 months of tax payments (PNR 1) and if he filed an annual tax form this year he should have that also.

If he works as a teacher at a Government school or University he could change back to a NON IMM B, at Suan Phlu or his nearest Office, would not require so much salary (30,000).

It is the type of permit to stay that counts. Only a permit to stay from a non immigrant visa is needed.

He can use his non immigrant O visa permit to stay to get either an extension based upon marriage or employment.

A change of visa status is only needed if going from a visa exempt entry or a tourist visa.

sorry I meant just change the reasoning behind obtaining the Extension.

But employment is sometimes easier than the 40,000baht for marriage scenario

Only if you can't meet the financial requirements.

If he has a job other than teaching that does not pay 50,000 per month or if the company cannot meet the requirements for an extension he would have to use a multiple entry visa anyway.

Plus an extension based upon marriage would not end if he lost his job.

He just wants to get the extension now rather than later in the year Oct/Nov when multi O expires...he is fed up leaving every 90 days so wants the extension now....but is applying 5-6 months befor the visa expires allowed???...has WP, proper marriage, kids etc...

The visa does not matter only the permit to stay that he gets every time he enters counts once you are in the country.

He can apply now if he wants to.

If his salary is enough to meet the 40,000 baht per month income he can show his tax payments (PNR 1) for three months before applying he can use those to get his extension.

• 2 weeks later...
If he works as a teacher at a Government school or University he could change back to a NON IMM B, at Suan Phlu or his nearest Office, would not require so much salary (30,000).

It is the type of permit to stay that counts. Only a permit to stay from a non immigrant visa is needed.

He can use his non immigrant O visa permit to stay to get either an extension based upon marriage or employment.

A change of visa status is only needed if going from a visa exempt entry or a tourist visa.

Hi Ladies & Gentlemen. Thought I would ask you guys for clarification. You helped me out last time .... so I come back to trouble you again :) Problems with the Boss's visa have been resolved and now I have to sort my hubby out.

My hubby is on a multiple Non-O visa which expired in April. We did a 60 day extension based on visiting wife and the current visa runs until 6th June 2009. The hubby was offered a job as an English teacher last week and the Uni is dealing with his visa and WP. He was told to go out to Laos to get a 60 day tourist visa before they can deal with the paperwork.

I thought that my hubby could apply for an extension of stay based on teaching, using his current non-o visa. I don't mind if he really has to go out of the country but it would save a lot of time and money if the uni could deal with what he has already got.

Thanking you in advance for your advice.

It is probably what they are used to dealing with so if that is what they want, and they are going to do the paperwork, I would just go with the flow and make them happy. Not good to start new employment on the wrong foot. He could ask them why not get a non immigrant O visa (which he qualifies for) but suspect schools mind is made up.

Edited by lopburi3

There is no need to leave the country, his current multiple non-O is all he needs and for a teaching job there is enough time to complete everything beofre the 6th.

Edit:

Lopburi is right in making the new employer unhappy. it is pobably ignorance on the part of the employer. Either play along or gently tell that it is not necesarry.

Yes he can get an extension based upon employment with the extension he currently has because his original entry was from a non immigrant visa. That is all that is required for the work permit and extension.

They may no understand what his current extension is for. And point out that his orignal entry was a non-o.

That was quick!!

Many thanks for your responses. Although we would like to save a bit of money but in this case I think we will go with the flow...just to keep the new employer happy :)

Have a nice day everyone. Very hot but at least it's not raining (well, not yet).