Bali In June Or July

Spaniel

We (me, Thai wife and 19 year old son) are considering a 1 week trip to Bali in either June or July. I see where AirAsia is offering some pretty cheap fares so we will probably fly with them but we must book before 10 May. We have never been there so looking for any suggestions as where to stay (mid-range hotels) what to do etc? Any help would be appreciated.

The island of Bali is one of my favorite places is SE Asia. The people, scenery, and activities kick the pants off anything on offer in Thailand. I have been there 3-4 times, mainly for scuba diving and just love it. There is something for everyone from the throbing tourists beach areas of Kuta-Legion-Seminyak, to the higher-end resort hotels of Nusa Dua, to the mid-range Sanur beach area. You also have the volcanic highlands and rice-terrace areas aroun Ubud. There is also the more remote coastal areas of the south-east coast and the Mt. Agun region.

The Kuta corridor mentioned above is probably the best place to stay for the first timer...lots of mid-range resorts, shopping, and restaurants. You or your 19 y/o can surf at the beach and take in the fablous sunsets. Being that tourism in the major industry on the island, there is plenty of information available once you get there on things to do. As to hotels, there are so many it's hard to recommend a specific one...just go to one of the major hotel booking websites or book a package with Air Asia.

I have just returned to Thailand from a 3 week holiday in Bali.

I toured around the whole island and wasn't overly impressed. Don't get me wrong the scenery was great and had some fantastic bike rides into the mountains.

But what spoiled it for me was getting hassled by the locals all the time. I found them not as friendly as the Thai's and it seemed that the ones hassling me were just after my money.

Kuta is extremely bad. You can't walk down the street without getting hassled by every shop owner saying "you want to buy T-shirt" or "have a look my friend". Other parts of the island is just the same but not as bad.

I found after touring the island and spending the last few days in Kuta, i just stayed at the hotel pool all day.

Spaniel, if you get a cheap flight, go for it for a week. Even if your son isn't into surfing/body boarding, he'll probably still love the place. Great nightlife in Kuta.

The best hotel i found on my budget (average) in Kuta was Masa Inn

The other places i stayed around the island are not worth a mention.

Please don't curse me, everyone's different, i'm probably just getting grumpy in my old age but i won't be going back again.

The local hassle is extreme.. It helps if you can spit some bahasa indo at them but even then they are persistant..

I havnet been there for 18 months or so but was spending a month there every 6 or so, lost count of how many times I have been, brother has a house there and its very easy to slot into the expat mode, which I think for bali is a lot improved over the tourist mode.

Be aware June July is 'peak' season for bali (tho that is confused also as euros hit it during winter) for the Ozzie surfers.. My brother is booking his tickets to escape the island to our low season.

I love it, but I also recognize that it needs some local knowledge to minimize the hassle factors.. I would dissagree that the locals are not as friendly.. I actually think the locals (once your not being sold something) are more genuine than Thais.. I have been in Thailand 8 years and have few Thai people I would call real friends, despite making efforts, my brother has some real nice local indo guys as what seem to be genuine mates, sure he may buy the beers a bit more often than they do (poor buggers work for 50 USD a month) but they also handle loads of his local hustle work for no payback also. Just seemed like theres less 'face' and shield to them.

Make sure you go away from the kuta / legian scene and dont think thats 'bali'.. Get up to ubud, Go east around Padangbai and Candidasa.. or up to Lovina on the north coast.. Get around the volcanos and the high lakes.. Go over to the gili islands for a chill and or party type vibe.. Get down to see the temple at Ulu's to see the ramayana dance done by the kecak dancers and vocalists (these are the same guys in the baraka movie etc) well worth seeing..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hanleybros/co...57603873945072/

Basically Bali holds a place in my heart.. Its a flawed gem sure.. But a gem it still is.

I have never found the touts in Bali to be a problem, in fact, I rarely have even run into any of them. Of course, having been an expat for a decade, maybe my stony faced cynicism they can see from a mile away and give me a wide berth when I visit their island. Any touts I have run across have certainly not been any more annoying than their Thai brotheren and a polite negative response sends them quickly on their way. I get so tired of relatively wealthy foreign tourists constantly complaining about touts wherever they visit...the way I look at it, these folks are just trying to make a living and as long as they are not agressive or too persistant, it's just a game to be expected.

I agree with Livin that the people are more genuine and friendly than your average Thai. This partly reflects their generally better English skills. Also keep in mind that Bali (Indonesia) is much poorer per capita than Thailand so this may also have something to do with their attitudes.

The Kuta-Legion-Semenyak corridor is a very touristy beach resort atmosphere, like Pattaya or Patong but without the out in the open sex-industry focus you find in those places. It can be fun or crazy depending on what you want. The nearby Sanur beach area is much more quiet if that it what you want. I spend most of my time in the Tulumben, Candi Dasa, and Menjangan Island areas, which are far from the tourist center of Kuta (but I'm a scuba diver). But I also like to spend a couple days in the Kuta area for great food and nitelife (every time I'm down there, these middle-aged Aussie birds try to pick me up in the bars/restos :) )

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

I already book myself early July with my mum, my wife and my 3 months old daughter.

I see some good deals on 2 bedrooms villas with private pool on a 150-200$ range per day including breakfast, does anyone ever tried it? and can reccomend a good place or area to rent one?

What would recommend as tourist attractions ?

So many places........but let me put one on top: Climbing Mount Batur as sunrise.

There is a nice hotel there, up on the ridge overlooking the volcano. I love staying there.

The last time I climbed Mt. Batur, it was active and every hour it would go off........small, but scary enough to make the climb more than exciting.

We have just returned from a weeks holiday in Bali,booking a package with Air Asia,and loved it.

Bali is a very chilled out island and its main assets imo are its lovely people and delicious food.

We stayed in Sanur,which is relatively quiet but great for exploring other parts of the island.

If you want the nightlife definitely stay in Kuta.Tuban which is south Kuta is a little bit of a quieter option.

Ubud is well worth seeing for some culture,nice walks and shopping.

The nicest beach we saw was at Nusa Dua but is man made and the place is a little bit "manufactured" with plenty of 5* hotels,so not cheap there.

Generally I would say the beaches and coastal scenery are not as nice as Phuket but we didnt travel to the north or east coasts of the island.

Also if you get the chance get into the mountains around Lake Danau Bratan.Villages like Bedegul have restaurants with lovely views of the island.

I'm sure you will enjoy it whatever you choose.

i live in bali and am based in Sanur. i really like the area as its a bit quieter than Kuta, and the hassle is considerably less. in fact, i rarely get hassled at all. one small trick is to whack some earphones in your ears - even if they arent connected. people just think you cant hear them!

there are plenty of villas around with private pools. i highly recommend The Kunja, The Dusun or The Villas. another option is Bali Ayu Villas. cheap and cheerful in a good location.

for sightseeing, i think the best thing to do is climb Mt Batur for sunrise. awesome.

you have to to go Tegalalang for the rice terrace views.

ubud for Babi Guling at Ibu Oka's restaurant.

Taman Safari & Marine Park for a fun day out.

Waterbom Park for an even MORE fun day out!

Walk along the boardwalks at either Kuta or Sanur beaches. really lovely.

June/July usually have fabulous weather (its the opposite of Phuket weather) and those months usually also see the Kite Festival in Sanur. some of them have tails 50m long and they fill the sky. really cool.

some of the temples on the island date back to the 9th century, so if its history and culture you are after, Bali certainly has that.

restaurant wise, Bali has some fab places. i recently went to Kayuputi at St Regis and it was absolutely stunning. sure, it nearly bankrupted me, but the experience was divine.

Sarong Restaurant in Seminyak is wonderful with a beautiful design and great food.

Nutmegs at hu'u is another great restaurant with a romantic atmosphere.

Breeze @ Samaya is also a lovely beachfront restaurant who serve great sunset cocktails.

Hope some of this helps you!

Menjangan Island for some great snorkeling or diving.

• 2 weeks later...
We (me, Thai wife and 19 year old son) are considering a 1 week trip to Bali in either June or July. I see where AirAsia is offering some pretty cheap fares so we will probably fly with them but we must book before 10 May. We have never been there so looking for any suggestions as where to stay (mid-range hotels) what to do etc? Any help would be appreciated.

I been living in Bali for more then 6 years (Lovina/Singaraja)

It is a wonderfull place to stay, quiet, and from there you easy can go to many places ( Batur/Kintamani/ go in the mountains to see the ricefields/ look to the dolfins/ etc.

( it is a 2 1/2 hour drive from the airport, if you go there they arrange transport

Menjangan to dive, but also if you want to dive go to Tulamben ( shipwreck) where the fishes eat banana's

For mid range hotels I can advice you Rambutan http://www.rambutan.org/

The owner is a Australian , very nice cottage with swimming-pool and excellent food.

A other good one:

http://www.banyualit.com/

Nice garden / swimming pool close from the beach.

When you goto one of this hotels give nice greetings from a friend in Thailand

In the same area: http://www.melkahotelbali.com/

The only hotel where you can swim with dolphins.

If you want to know more send me a PM.

greetings