Monk For A Month

sabaijai

I am told that I mustn't use the word free...but donation based....

only those sound in limb have ever been able to ordain.... but later ailments do not cause disrobing.

Fred, what is the basis for not ordaining someone with a disability? I had understood this to be the case, at least in Theravada (don't know about Mahayana/Vajrayana traditions), but checking on the net could only find reference to diseases rather than disabilities.

only those sound in limb have ever been able to ordain.... but later ailments do not cause disrobing.

Fred, what is the basis for not ordaining someone with a disability? I had understood this to be the case, at least in Theravada (don't know about Mahayana/Vajrayana traditions), but checking on the net could only find reference to diseases rather than disabilities.

This might help.

Reference:

http://www.dhammakaya.net/events/510708_Ordination.php

Quote:

Qualifications for those to be ordained

The lord Buddha gave permission to males who take the Triple Gem as a refuge to ordain. For those who wish to ordain as a Buddhist monk must be at least 20 years of age. Those who are under will be allowed to ordain as a novice. The persons forbidden from being a monk are;

1. Those are homosexuals and hermaphrodites.
  2. Those who have done wrong against Buddhism such as killed an Arahant, caused schism in monastic community and asked to leave monkhood before.
  3. Those who suffer from the following diseases;
    • Leprosy, Measles or Pox, fungus of skin.
    • Skeletal deformity including handicapped, blind or deft.
    • Debilitating weakness.

[*]Those who have prior restrictions or commitments such as not having parental or guardian consent, or by reasons of royal decree

This might help.

Reference:

http://www.dhammakay..._Ordination.php

Quote:

Qualifications for those to be ordained

The lord Buddha gave permission to males who take the Triple Gem as a refuge to ordain. For those who wish to ordain as a Buddhist monk must be at least 20 years of age. Those who are under will be allowed to ordain as a novice. The persons forbidden from being a monk are;

1. Those are homosexuals and hermaphrodites.
  2. Those who have done wrong against Buddhism such as killed an Arahant, caused schism in monastic community and asked to leave monkhood before.
  3. Those who suffer from the following diseases;
    • Leprosy, Measles or Pox, fungus of skin.
    • Skeletal deformity including handicapped, blind or deft.
    • Debilitating weakness.

<li>Those who have prior restrictions or commitments such as not having parental or guardian consent, or by reasons of royal decree

Thanks Fred.

I note that the source is the Dhammakaya Foundation, an organization that has been subject to a lot of criticism on account of some of their practices. I understand though that in regard to monastic discipline and procedures they are quite orthodox. I'm assuming therefore that their procedures and prerequisites for ordination are consistent with the Thai Sangha generally.

they can come...but amputees cannot ordain...

Discrimination?

Phetaroi, I think restrictions on right of access to ordination are common across the spectrum of Buddhist traditions and schools. Here is what a poster from the Tibetan tradition said on another site in regard to the issue:

The vinaya gives all kinds of restrictions on ordination that in my opinion are out-dated and no longer relevant. The exclusions of the disabled should no longer be practiced along with the exclusion of women for full ordination and even albinos are excluded.

I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if full ordination is offered to just about anyone in the Tibetan tradition at least before too long.

So it's an issue that can be taken up not just with Thai Buddhism.

they can come...but amputees cannot ordain...

Discrimination?

Phetaroi, I think restrictions on right of access to ordination are common across the spectrum of Buddhist traditions and schools. Here is what a poster from the Tibetan tradition said on another site in regard to the issue:

The vinaya gives all kinds of restrictions on ordination that in my opinion are out-dated and no longer relevant. The exclusions of the disabled should no longer be practiced along with the exclusion of women for full ordination and even albinos are excluded.

I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if full ordination is offered to just about anyone in the Tibetan tradition at least before too long.

So it's an issue that can be taken up not just with Thai Buddhism.

All religions have some discriminatory restrictions, and All religions are man made -Buddhism being no exemption. It is nice that enlightenment can be attained by embracing Buddhism as a philosophy, and mind science, since many of the religious aspects of Buddhism are antiquated and hardly relevant in a modern society.

The Buddha did not create "Buddhism" , nor was the Buddha a Buddhist, and this fact is refreshing to know.

Edited by mizzi39