Barclaycard Uk - Expired Credit Cards.

bucklt

Has anyone experienced this problem with Barclaycard UK?

(I mention this in case someone has only one credit card i.e from Barclays).

My credit card expired recently and I got a letter from them stating:

''We are unable to issue you with a replacement Barclaycard. This is due to problems we have experienced with your country, where cards have been intercepted before reaching their intended destination.

Regrettably,this means that we are unable to forward cards to you at the present time, either by airmail or courier.We are also unable to send cards to a third party address for forwarding to you, or for your collection.

However, if you will be visiting the UK in the near future and you contact us to confirm, we can issue your replacement card to a branch of Barclays Bank PLC and your Barclaycard account will remain open.''

As a customer of theirs for 30+ years I am surprised at this - given that my UK Bank (NOT Barclays) has no problem in posting replacement credit/debit cards to me.

Thoughts/comments?

Bucklt :)

I was a 20 year very good customer of Barclays (six figure account balance), but became extremely frustrated by their quite unreasonable attitude towards doing business with me once I moved to Thailand---they would not allow me online access to my accounts, for example. In the end though, they did me a favour by forcing me to transfer my business to HSBC. HSBC take a very different attitude and have gone out of their way to be helpful in all sorts of ways. The contrast in customer service is just night and day. My advice is to avoid anything at all to do with Barclays/Barclaycard---why have any dealings with a company with such a poor attitude to customer service?

Barclaycard will not send replacement cards to Thailand because of mail high incidence of theft inside the Thai post office. As they will have to pay if someone steals your card, they are just protecting their interests.

I get them to mail them to my company's office in Australia, who then DHL them to me.

Edited by Sir Burr

I was a 20 year very good customer of Barclays (six figure account balance), but became extremely frustrated by their quite unreasonable attitude towards doing business with me once I moved to Thailand---they would not allow me online access to my accounts, for example. In the end though, they did me a favour by forcing me to transfer my business to HSBC. HSBC take a very different attitude and have gone out of their way to be helpful in all sorts of ways. The contrast in customer service is just night and day. My advice is to avoid anything at all to do with Barclays/Barclaycard---why have any dealings with a company with such a poor attitude to customer service?

I have had book companies refuse to sell me large numbers of wholesale books in Thailand even if I offered to pay in advance. It does not have a good reputation.

Had 2 of mine sent to my daughters address back in the US.

She forwarded them to me here.

Easy as cake! :)

Yes it's easy as cake, BUT it does show how the developed world (as opposed to 3rd/4th world-"of which Thailand is one")

Abhisit might be successful in changng the world's perception of Thailand but untll then it is way up on the list of "at risk countries" in pretty well all countries around the globe.

I have been with Barclays for over 30 years.

Since I moved to Thailand, dealing with Barclays has been a nightmare.

They threatened to close my on shore accounts because I am no longer a UK resident and had to open Barclays off shore accounts, although I informed them that I was leaving the UK for Thailand before I left, none of this was mentioned. After I opened the off shore accounts, Barclays informed me that because I live in Thailand, they will not give me telephone banking, on line banking and send cheques, debit/visa cards.

This means that I cannot have money sent by telegraphic transfer to my accounts in Thailand by phone requests, only in writing that could take up to 3 weeks.

I too had a Barclaycard when I moved to Thailand. When the card was near to expiry date, I tried to cancel it. They refused to let me do this by phone from Thailand, would not reply to my emails and after I wrote a letter of cancellation, Barclaycard replied saying am I sure I wish to do this.

The problem was that the card had a credit limit of £30000. Barclays said they would send a new card to my previous address in the UK. I was panicking.

In the end I asked my brother in the UK to pretend he was me and phone Barclaycard from the UK to cancel it. The ploy worked, luckily.

My advice is, stay well clear of Barclays Bank, they are totally incompetent.

Edited by sassienie

I've had mixed experiences with Barclayard. The last episode involved trying to withdraw large amounts from ATMs in Thailand. I had to call their emergency hotline and explain my situation. Since then it's been fine. As for getting new cards sent out, I just get my parents to post them to avoid any hassles.

As for other items being posted to Thailand, I find VERY difficult to purchase from online stores and get them to post to Thailand. The vast majority refuse. For this reason I buy a lot of things on Ebay. Most private sellers will post here.

Well said :D I've been with HSBC since bad experiences with Barclays back when I was student, despite my family having banked with them for years. My mother used to say, it's not banking at Barclays, it's barking at Banklays :)

A couple of years ago HSBC was being critisised in the press for its heavy investment in a global banking service. Who's laughing now! And it works: I get the same excellent service from HSBC Premier offices wherever I go, be it Bangkok, London, Singapore, Hongkong or Beijing. Thoroughly recommend them to anyone who has a global lifestyle. Its now free (for Premier customers) to transfer money between HSBC accounts in different countries - a big bonus with the new 150 Bt ATM charges in Thailand :D

The other company I would reccomend in this respect is American Express. Yes, they have high charges, but worth every cent in my opinion.

Well said :D I've been with HSBC since bad experiences with Barclays back when I was student, despite my family having banked with them for years. My mother used to say, it's not banking at Barclays, it's barking at Banklays :)

A couple of years ago HSBC was being critisised in the press for its heavy investment in a global banking service. Who's laughing now! And it works: I get the same excellent service from HSBC Premier offices wherever I go, be it Bangkok, London, Singapore, Hongkong or Beijing. Thoroughly recommend them to anyone who has a global lifestyle. Its now free (for Premier customers) to transfer money between HSBC accounts in different countries - a big bonus with the new 150 Bt ATM charges in Thailand :D

The other company I would reccomend in this respect is American Express. Yes, they have high charges, but worth every cent in my opinion.

Yes, and with an HSBC Advantage Card you could get into many airport business class lounges even if flying economy :D

I have been with Barclays for over 30 years.

Since I moved to Thailand, dealing with Barclays has been a nightmare.

They threatened to close my on shore accounts because I am no longer a UK resident and had to open Barclays off shore accounts, although I informed them that I was leaving the UK for Thailand before I left, none of this was mentioned. After I opened the off shore accounts, Barclays informed me that because I live in Thailand, they will not give me telephone banking, on line banking and send cheques, debit/visa cards.

This means that I cannot have money sent by telegraphic transfer to my accounts in Thailand by phone requests, only in writing that could take up to 3 weeks.

I too had a Barclaycard when I moved to Thailand. When the card was near to expiry date, I tried to cancel it. They refused to let me do this by phone from Thailand, would not reply to my emails and after I wrote a letter of cancellation, Barclaycard replied saying am I sure I wish to do this.

The problem was that the card had a credit limit of £30000. Barclays said they would send a new card to my previous address in the UK. I was panicking.

In the end I asked my brother in the UK to pretend he was me and phone Barclaycard from the UK to cancel it. The ploy worked, luckily.

My advice is, stay well clear of Barclays Bank, they are totally incompetent.

Thank you all for all those comments!

Was not aware, when I initially posted this particular item, that Barclays seem to operate a 'closed door' policy towards it's customers who happen to live in Thailand. Makes one wonder which other countries - if any - on on their 'banned' list.

1. I do not have an alternate address to use - thanks for that particular suggestion anyway.

2. Reluctant to cancel card itself, as after 30+ years have a sizeable credit limit on it but..........

Will heed all your comments and just let it go for the present time, unless of course, I return to UK in due course.

Thanks again.

Yes, and with an HSBC Advantage Card you could get into many airport business class lounges even if flying economy :D

Oh!....that's interesting.

Is there a list on the Internet of which airports accept this particular card - as I already have one :D

Advice appreciated - thanks in anticipation.

Bucklt :D

Buckit, keep your Barclays account and use your card details to open up HSBC account. If you open up Premium Account you have to have an annual turnover of 100k GBP. With HSBC Plus it's a monthly charge of £12.95p. However, there is free travel insurance and other offers.

I had trouble with Barclays whilst in Thailand, they are now part of the Spanish Santander Group which concentates more on the US and the EU. I did move on-line to HSBC whilst in UK, no problems, new card issued within 5 days. Hope this helps. :)

Is there a list on the Internet of which airports accept this particular card - as I already have one :D

Do you actually use the HSBC card to gain entry, or do they give you another card?

I have a similar deal with American Express but they give you a free Priority Pass card to get into the lounges, you can't use the AMEX card itself. Priority Pass website (www.prioritypass.com) has detail of all the lounges.

Do you actually use the HSBC card to gain entry, or do they give you another card?

I have a similar deal with American Express but they give you a free Priority Pass card to get into the lounges, you can't use the AMEX card itself. Priority Pass website (www.prioritypass.com) has detail of all the lounges.

I used the actual HSBC Advantage Card card at Istanbul (several times in fact) about 5 years back.

Things might have changed particularly with the credit squeeze :D

Edited by john b good

interesting!

barclays recently sent me a new connect card to thailand no problem (from the offshore IOM section). what is the difference?

Maybe Barclays finally realised how much they were alienating good customers with their unreasonable attitude. I would not take my business back to them if they paid me---HSBC is so much better.

just to bring this thread back with a bit of info, this week my new repacement for my mbna credit card arrived at home here via dhl so there is another one that is ok, i am wondering where my nat west is though :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just got off the phone from barclaycard. Mastercard expired last month. They can not issue a new card and send to Thailand and they can not send to my UK address unless I am in the UK. My only alternative is to go to a Barclays office in Bangkok. Do you have an office? I asked. You will have to find out, they responded.

Did some research and phoned back. No office in Bangkok. Sorry you will have to come to the UK they told me. An air ticket is more than the balance on the card.

Just got off the phone from barclaycard. Mastercard expired last month. They can not issue a new card and send to Thailand and they can not send to my UK address unless I am in the UK. My only alternative is to go to a Barclays office in Bangkok. Do you have an office? I asked. You will have to find out, they responded.

Did some research and phoned back. No office in Bangkok. Sorry you will have to come to the UK they told me. An air ticket is more than the balance on the card.

I have several accounts in England but one of my pensions is paid into Barclays and every couple of months I have to phone and complain that my card has been stopped, and the answer is always the same "well sir, we monitor unusual usage of cards abroad and put a stop if something appears suspicious for your benefit" my response is always the same "Barclays please check my address on your records and where do you send my monthly statements" , yes thats correct I do live in Thailand.