Recommendations For A Roofer

mild7even

Small leak. Regular handyman too heavy for roof. Any recommendations? English or Thai speaker okay. Thanks in advance.

Over the past 18 months, we've had a series of leaks, one serious, in 2 roofs which form single storey extensions to the house. Quality of tiles and fixings far inferior to the standard of the main house, I find.

We obtained 4 quotations, 3 from previously very satisfied farang customers. In addition to good repairs, we specified the "thin silver paper" type insulation to keep the spaces below cooler. The quotes came in as follows:

1. Just a few new tiles needed plus new fixings, they said. But we have no truck and you'll have to take time off business to collect them from the supplier. 2 men working for up to 2 weeks: approx 20,000.

2. Need all new tiles. 4 men will do the whole job in 2 days. No extra assistance needed: 31,500.

3. Need all new tiles. Work will be finished in under a week: 51,000b. (This was the only one not personally recommended, but came from an ad in a credible expat publication).

4. Same conditions: 61,000b.

Don't know what you'd have done, but we chose No 2 and are very pleased indeed. The only downside was that 2 piles of old broken tiles were left on public land right next to our wall. I have another job for him, on condition he removes this lot first.

I still LOVE personal recommendations!

PM me with your own e-mail address if you want more details.

What kind of tiles or roof covering do you have?

Concrete/clay? I guess, but not really sure.

And flatout, thanks for the offer...

Turns out the wife found someone through a friend. He and an assistant surveyed the roof, borrowed our motorcycle to go buy their materials, and finished the repair in under an hour.

400 baht all in.

Now eagerly awaiting the next rain to see if it holds.

The roof, as the house, is 18 years old, so will eventually have to do the whole thing, eh?