Cleaning Municipal Water With Filters

JimmyGreaves

Getting a 2000 litre tank to have a backup of municipal water here in Hua Hin. I have noticed green algae in the same municipal water at my rented property and thing that I don't want all that floating around in the new tank so am trying to work out the best way to stop this and possibly get clean water to the house for showers and drinkable water out the taps.

So far thinking along these lines after doing some research.

1. Put a 20inch sediment filter before the tank to filter out the algae.

This type.

http://www.emwc.co.uk/Details.asp?ProductID=671 Not sure what type of filter to insert carbon/polypropelene

2. 6 Stage Ultra Violet Reverse Osmosis water filter system for drinking water under the sink.

http://www.emwc.co.uk/Details.asp?ProductID=265

However a friend said that I should put this big stainless type (looks like a divers oxygen tank) thing after the 2000 litre tank and my water will be clean but says not sure if I can drink.

It's a 2 storey property. 2 bathrooms upstairs, 1 downstairs. I havn't even thought about type and watts of pump I need. 2000 litre tank will be about 20 meters away from upstairs bathrooms though.

Any help in designing this would be greatly appreciated.

Big sediment filter with a poly element should reduce the algae problem, make sure you have a stainless or light-proof plastic tank and the stuff won't grow in the tank.

The divers-tank is a filter (carbon, poly and ion-exchange usually), not really needed if you're using an RO unit. The water straight from the tank should be good for showering, washing etc (depends upon mineral content, check with your local filter supplier).

Get the best pump you can afford, dollars spent on a Grundfos are well spent. Tell the pump-man how many showers and how high they are above the tank so he can size the unit for you, then get a bigger one!!

But "the pump-man" will probably not have a clue what Grundfos is or how to size it. AFAIK they only sell one model for home use so probably won't be an issue if he goes that route. For the normal "well" type pumps that most people use agree - supersize that "and flow will still be less than many people are used to having".