Fishing

doppa

now heres a question that only a tiny % will be able to help me, does anyone fly fish in chiangmai, for the equivalent version of thai trout.

See previous thread on this subject and IanForbes post with specifics. Also, there is a new TV fishing forum.

I already sent a private PM, but I do have to say that fly fishing is in its infancy here in Thailand. There are a few places I don't want to divulge, but if you know where to search you will find them.

The most common and easiest places to fish are at the pay for play fishing parks. I know of a few but can't describe how to get there. I enjoy fishing the big reservoirs but you DO need a boat and if you don't speak Thai fluently then you WILL need a guide.

The most common species we fish for in the big reservoirs are Giant snakeheads

Ian_with_Snakehead_1.jpg

and Jungle perch, also called a transverse barb

Jungle_perch_3.sized.jpg

The "flies" we use for them are huge and should be called "flures". We make them ourselves.

snakehead_flies.sized.jpg

snakehead_fly.sized.jpg

The pay for play ponds are pretty cheap and it's mostly catch and release, but most people use bread dough baits, or live bait (minnows).

The most common fish caught are the Mekong catfish that can grow to over 250 kilos, but are more commonly this size...

Ian_with_catfish_1.sized.jpg

The way that we catch them on the fly rod is to toss bread dough onto the water until the fish are slurping it up. Then we toss out a white rabbit fur fly tied to look like bread dough. The big catfish are VERY powerful and fast. It takes a lot of effort to haul them close to shore.

I believe there is a place called Dream Park fishing where they have other stocked species like: common snakeheads, arapaima, and peacock bass.

The arapaima are HUGE but seem to only take live bait. This one is 5 feet long.

Arapaima_1.jpg

Peacock bass

Peacock_bass_1.jpg

Common snakehead

Common_snakehead_6.jpg

Ian_with_Snakehead_1.jpg

I could use one of those hooks for the pub. Are they readily available in Chinag Mai?

I'll give the Child Whispering trick a try first, but if that fails .....

thanks for that ian, some mighty big fish there, if there one thing i really enjoyed in the uk was dry fly fishing for trout, seems it might just be a memory now.