Evaluate My Photo

lifeincnx

Purely from a technical standpoint: there is some serious clipping on the bowls on the left and there is some distracting shadow in the bottom left corner (I think it is a shadow and not vignetting.

Purely from a technical standpoint: there is some serious clipping on the bowls on the left and there is some distracting shadow in the bottom left corner (I think it is a shadow and not vignetting.

Technically you are correct on one point - the clipping. The shadow was natural, so if it ain't broke don't fix it. Astethically speaking the plate clipping did not bother me. Though I've used PS since verion 6 (ancient in software terms) I don't like to change every element but rather merely enhance as it was captured.

So for all you techno junkies, here's a version using a curves adjustment and a layer mask to tone down the clipping. Me, I prefer the original, but that's why this forum is called "evaluate."

I think the "modified" shot is defintely better. You've brought out the texture a lot, as well as addressing the blown highlights.

Now an excellent shot - good before, but much better now.

It's also "flatter" (if you follow my meaning) and this lends itself superbly to the theme of the image. The original was a bit too "sparkly" for my taste and seemed to distract.

Anyway, only my opinion - but I like the shot A GREAT DEAL.

I could never get behind the idea that there needs to be detail in every highlight. I occasionally let my highlights blow out, and in this shot it doesn't bother me a bit. Actually I think the second image has picked up a bit of muddiness in the whites. I like the shot for its atmosphere, and its idea (for yumi's sake) but if you are going to shoot an object 2 degrees off center, it is better to move over and shoot it dead center. This one seems to be taken several inches from dead on so what wants to be formal balance becomes a bit uneasy. and not far enough to be informal.

But a nice image all the same and it's good to see a still life approach once in a while.

Natural light cast some interesting shadows on the sparkling dishes and table in this old teak Thai kitchen.

nice picture BUT pity about the way the table of skewed in the frame

ps i see no tangible difference or positive effect in the de clipped version and the original when compared side by side