Stable Internet, Can Anyone Advise?

RyuSRB

Hi,

I'm currently staying in Bangkok (on Sukhumvit road near On Nut BTS station), I have been here for quite some time now and the problem is

that I require a stable internet connection, just good speed and as few disconnections as possible.. no need for monsterspeeds, I need it more for stocktrading and so on

currently I'm using this 'smartzone' online wifi that the apartment is providing, but the horror, during peak hours I get massive amounts of disconnections

everything is lagging and slow, and usually the only times that it is ok, is after 1am

so I would like to know if someone can recommend me any solutions, I have checked the following already:

aircard with dtac (but that's GPRS/EDGE, so it's like 120kb max dl speed? that's really slow imo), I assume it's the same with AIS

aircard with hutch , but they said there was no EV-DO reception in my area, they do have USB stick but that's same slow speed as DTAC

I asked if I could install a private phone line with ADSL, but they told that it would require an immense amount of trouble to be able to install it

so..if anyone have any suggestions please let me know..

that or tell me a place near BTS that has 100% good internet or private ADSL possibility at a good price 55+

cheers,

Ryu

I also live close to the On Nut BTS and use Smartzone for internet access and have none of your problems. I would like a faster connection for downloading large files but otherwise it is great for normal needs and I never experience disconnections.

Getting ADSL isn't difficult at all (for normal residential place). However getting a stable and reasonably fast internet connection seems to be a bit of a lottery. My impression (and I have no facts to back it up) is that the closer you are to the city the better your chances, due to the higher density of nodes or exchanges. For what it's worth:

* TOT seem to totally suck at the moment.

* I know some people with good connections from True, and some people with bad ones.

* After years of lousy internet connections I finally got a good one with CSLoxinfo - but I'm now in the city (previously I was out on the fringes).

* One thing you can do is get the wiring for your phone line checked, as well as the wiring for the extensions inside your house. If you see wires hacked apart and bound with ragged bits of electrical tape sitting out in the weather, chances are they have corroded to hel_l. That can give you a lot of drop outs and shitty speeds.

Good luck. Fire your ISP and try a new one if they suck.

Edited by Crushdepth

* One thing you can do is get the wiring for your phone line checked, as well as the wiring for the extensions inside your house. If you see wires hacked apart and bound with ragged bits of electrical tape sitting out in the weather, chances are they have corroded to hel_l. That can give you a lot of drop outs and shitty speeds.

Very true!

But I gave up explaining to a Thai that two things do not work in this climate:

* twisting wires together to extend a connection

* using cheap pvc tape for insulation

CSloxinfo has provided me a very stable connection, To be honest I must mention I use a 2 MB SME connection

but it is worth the Baht! BTW I haven't changed that provider for over 10 years. Compared to other ISP's I trust

that company genuinely tries to help their customers. They checked my line for the above mentioned wire cra_p together with

TOT (my land line provider) before they gave me the go for 2 MB.

Edited by webfact