Taxi Cheats Come Under Fire

Thaising

Taxis serving Suvarnabhumi airport are overcharging passengers by tampering with their meters, according to complaints received by the Land Transport Department.

Passengers also accuse taxi drivers of charging an initial meter rate of 95 baht instead of the usual 35 baht, Transport Ministry sources said.

Cheated passengers have called the Land Transport Department's 1584 hotline, claiming they caught taxis on the 4th floor of the airport arrivals terminal. As well as the increased minimum fare, the meter seemed to rise faster by the kilometre, some complaints said.

One passenger said he questioned the driver when he saw the initial charge was 95 baht, and the driver told him the meter was set to cheat foreign passengers.

The driver then asked him to agree to a flat rate and demanded 500 baht for a trip to the Khlong Si area in Pathum Thani's Thanyaburi district, which normally costs about 300 baht. When the man refused, the driver dropped him off before reaching the destination, the source said.

Piyaphan Jampasut, chairman of the Airports of Thailand which supervises Suvarnabhumi airport, said the AoT had appointed a committee to take legal action against cheating taxis and tour guides known to harass passengers at the airport.

The committee, chaired by Land Transport Department chief Chairat Sa-nguansue, has instructed the Suvarnabhumi airport board to use more security guards at the airport and increase the frequency of patrols in the taxi bay areas on the 2nd and 4th floors.

Mr Piyaphan said passengers would be wise to stick to the services at the taxi stand managed by AoT.

"Passengers will have to pay an additional service fee of 50 baht, but the service is safe," he said.

AoT has recorded the profiles of all taxi drivers registered at its stand.

Mr Chairat urged passengers not to hesitate in reporting dishonest taxi drivers.

From Bangkok Post http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1612...come-under-fire

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-05-04

I saw the Report this morning on Channel 3.

Signs need to be posted telling the Tourists, AOT should be doing more.

Also on another point, I noticed that not one Taxi driver wore a mask, as per the Public Health departments statement last week in the Nation. If it comes to Thailand it will come through the

Airport, and it can be transferred person to person. So think about your next taxi drive.

things like this must happen all the time.

I know each time I walk outside the airport the taxi drivers assume I'm a stupid farang (with a money tree), who knows nothing.

A couple have quoted me prices that could take me to my destination, there and back 3 times.

Not seen the dodgy meter scam.

Still this is nothing compared to the open corruption every day in Phuket. 200 baht to go 200 yards, 500+ to pop from Patong to Karon.

Now they want more of these rip off tuk tuks. Every night there is a mass surplus of the things along bangla road etc. Like vultures ready to con the rich tourists and the farang working here alike.

I'm yet to have a taxi meter in phuket not quote me a price. Last time 300 baht on the meter still cost me 450.

It's a joke and it needs to be addressed. :)

Taxis serving Suvarnabhumi airport are overcharging passengers by tampering with their meters, according to complaints received by the Land Transport Department.

Passengers also accuse taxi drivers of charging an initial meter rate of 95 baht instead of the usual 35 baht, Transport Ministry sources said.

Cheated passengers have called the Land Transport Department's 1584 hotline, claiming they caught taxis on the 4th floor of the airport arrivals terminal. As well as the increased minimum fare, the meter seemed to rise faster by the kilometre, some complaints said.

One passenger said he questioned the driver when he saw the initial charge was 95 baht, and the driver told him the meter was set to cheat foreign passengers.

The driver then asked him to agree to a flat rate and demanded 500 baht for a trip to the Khlong Si area in Pathum Thani's Thanyaburi district, which normally costs about 300 baht. When the man refused, the driver dropped him off before reaching the destination, the source said.

Piyaphan Jampasut, chairman of the Airports of Thailand which supervises Suvarnabhumi airport, said the AoT had appointed a committee to take legal action against cheating taxis and tour guides known to harass passengers at the airport.

The committee, chaired by Land Transport Department chief Chairat Sa-nguansue, has instructed the Suvarnabhumi airport board to use more security guards at the airport and increase the frequency of patrols in the taxi bay areas on the 2nd and 4th floors.

Mr Piyaphan said passengers would be wise to stick to the services at the taxi stand managed by AoT.

"Passengers will have to pay an additional service fee of 50 baht, but the service is safe," he said.

AoT has recorded the profiles of all taxi drivers registered at its stand.

Mr Chairat urged passengers not to hesitate in reporting dishonest taxi drivers.

From Bangkok Post http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1612...come-under-fire

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-05-04

They gave an unofficial paper there on which was written 450 Baht to go to my home.

Of course that was complete overcharged.

The last times I tried to catch taxis who dropped of someone.

things like this must happen all the time.

I know each time I walk outside the airport the taxi drivers assume I'm a stupid farang (with a money tree), who knows nothing.

A couple have quoted me prices that could take me to my destination, there and back 3 times.

Yeah, being approached by 'private' taxi's at Suvanaphumi is fun. Usually it is kaek drivers, in private cars, that even when I decline will follow and start to quote prices (700 instead of the, on meter price for me,of around 150-180, to get home) that is of course absurdly high.

Should add: Recently I have however not had any problems with the real, approved, taxis there.

Edited by TAWP

This year so far i managed to catch two taxis from swampy with rigged meters. Last one had the nerve to start complaining when i paid exact amount in the meter and no tip (around 100 baht over the usual).

Anyways both had rigged meters, their "km" was about 700m in real life.

Good if they manage to do something about it but i doubt it...

Edit: both were from the official taxi stand stand at door 10.

Edited by MJo

The 4th floor of the departure terminal is where I usually get my taxis. Same as when we were at Don Muang.

I know the rates and negotiate a flat fare with a reasonable amount for a tip. The taxi pays the security guard like 20-40 baht while I don't have to pay the 50 baht taxi fee for the service in standing in line.

When I do use the AOT taxi stand I have to pay a flat fare on top of the 50 baht fee because I live on the edge of BKK and by some rule the lady charges me a flat rate for leaving beyond the BKK area at a ridiculous price.

However some drivers are really sharks so you have to know how to negotiate and pick the more reasonable driver.

If you guys really want a ripoff try taking the AOT limousine service. Something like 2,000 baht for a camry.