Princess Eugenie Attacked By Thieves In Cambodia

Farma

Princess Eugenie attacked by thieves in Cambodia

From correspondents in London, UK

May 04, 2009 11:45am

THIEVES tried to rob the Queen's 19-year-old granddaughter, Princess Eugenie, and her friends while they were travelling in Cambodia.

British newspaper The Sun reported that royal protection officers had to intervene to protect the princess, the daughter of Prince Andrew, Duke of York, and his former wife Sarah Ferguson, when a thief tried to steal her friend's purse as they walked through Phnom Penh one night.

The two officers tackled the thief but were pelted with stones by another man, forcing them to let him go and focus on getting the princess to safety.

They also managed to retrieve the purse.

The Sun said it was the first time in 10 years that protection officers have stopped a direct threat to a member of the royal family.

The princess has come under fire recently for her lavish spending during the credit crunch, heading overseas during her gap year.

Eugenie has visited India, South America, Australia, South Africa, Thailand and now Cambodia.

Although she has paid for the adventure herself, taxpayers are footing the £100,000 ($205,000) bill for security.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...5003402,00.html

Seems like a not very wise expenditure of UK taxpayer's funds seeing that the country is close to bankruptcy. Let the fattie princess, or her father or uncle, spring for any protection they feel is necessary.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

But Cambodia is safer than Thailand as many farangs on this website point out :)

Crime is all over........more in some places than in others. What many people are forced to do is to correct the impression that Thailand is totally safe and relatively more safe than its surrounding neighbors.

Do I have to go over a list of "extremely violent crimes against foreigners" that have recently taken place in Thailand? Actually, I don't think you would want me to do that. That would illustrate the difference between myth and reality.

Get real........crime is increasing all over, most likely due to economic conditions worsening all over.

Darn old Thieves are BOLD over there to :):D not quite as bad as the bad boys that did the gold shop in Pattaya the other day, but bold never the less, at least her Security Staff jumped in and did their thing, unlike what happen to our Thai PM in Pattaya just a few short weeks ago when he was attack by our friends, the red shirts. Where was the Thai PM Security Staff??? I wonder?

Many UK rags were making a big thing of it that she was so Brave for continuing her gap year jount after this incident.

Its BRAVE to continue working or fighting for your country, after danger NOT for continuing a holiday with the taxpayers armed guards in tow.

Dave

FYI - I was robbed in Phnom Penh 2 weeks ago on a visa run.

2 blocks from the Riverfront. If you know Phnom Penh, this is a big tourist area - which is important for the continued development of tourism. It is real crazy to get robbed in such a place.

One Christian missionary dude on the bus home told me that a bunch of factories closed in April and 50,000 workers were made job-less.

Nevertheless,

I used to love Cambo. This was my 4th trip but first time robbed.

Now my advice is to go Lao.

FYI - I was robbed in Phnom Penh 2 weeks ago on a visa run.

2 blocks from the Riverfront. If you know Phnom Penh, this is a big tourist area - which is important for the continued development of tourism. It is real crazy to get robbed in such a place.

One Christian missionary dude on the bus home told me that a bunch of factories closed in April and 50,000 workers were made job-less.

Nevertheless,

I used to love Cambo. This was my 4th trip but first time robbed.

Now my advice is to go Lao.

So if something like this happens to you at home you recommend leaving the country? I don't quite understand this. One bad thing happens to you and the place has gone from white to black? Unless you are far away from other humans you can get robbed in any country at anytime, mate. Look at it this way, you only got robbed once in four visits when it could have been multiple times on each visit :)

If I were a tax payer in the UK, I'd be right ticked off at having to pay for her security detail :)

She didn't choose to be a princess and really, given who her family is, she has no choice but to have bodyguards.

If I were a tax payer in the UK, I'd be right ticked off at having to pay for her security detail :)

hmm... reportedly £100,000+ for this jaunt..

she could've had 6 weeks in Blackpool for a fraction of that.!!

(although thinking about it, as a location, Phnom Penh does seem the much safer choice if fear of being attacked is top of your concerns)

She didn't choose to be a princess and really, given who her family is, she has no choice but to have bodyguards.

Anthony "Tony" Neil Wedgwood Benn, formerly 2nd Viscount Stansgate did not choose to inherit his peerage, he had to campaign for an act of Parliament (1963 Peerage Act) to renunciate it and become one of Britain's few working politicians.

Nothing stopping that layabout (or her troupe of hangers-on) from getting an honest job if it puts what passes for its mind (one lady owner, never used) to it.

It costs the UK tax payer exactly NOTHING to maintain the Royal Family. Around 250 years ago income from Crown Estates was signed over to the government of the day, the practice continues to this day, in exchange for a regular income, The Civil List. The UK Royal Family receive around 37 million GBP per year ( 2006 figures ) against 200 million GBP received by the Exchequer. All in all, highly profitable to the UK tax payer~

This incident as reported is just a case of the British press using sensationalist headlines to sell a few papers .

In truth a bag snatcher tried to lift the bag of one of the touring party, it had SFA to do with the Princess herself.

(although thinking about it, as a location, Phnom Penh does seem the much safer choice if fear of being attacked is top of your concerns)

No.

I think you'll find six weeks in Blackpool is about £100,000

No.

I think you'll find six weeks in Blackpool is about £100,000

i think not.. Two SO14 officers + her in 'Auntie Bettys' B & B should be slightly cheaper... :D

"Reports suggest the cost of flights, expenses, accommodation and overtime for the officers will amount to around £100,000 for the six-week stay"

source: Telegraph, re her stay in S E Asia

Seems like a not very wise expenditure of UK taxpayer's funds seeing that the country is close to bankruptcy. Let the fattie princess, or her father or uncle, spring for any protection they feel is necessary.

The UK is not even close to being bankrupt,Its one of the richest country's in the world, The two body guards where close protection officers unit,They can look after themselves believe me, most top politicians get protection even when they have finished with politics, Just like American ex presidents,And dont forget they are being paid what ever they are doing.and where ever.