Opticians

Patriciachas

Can anyone recommend a good optician in CM

A quick search will surely give results :) Until then, I've been consistently happy with "Vision Centre" in Rajvitthi, between the moat and UN Irish Pub, on the same side of the street.

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

A quick search will surely give results :) Until then, I've been consistently happy with "Vision Centre" in Rajvitthi, between the moat and UN Irish Pub, on the same side of the street.

/ Priceless

Yeah, I like that one as well. Not cheap, but a very solid optician with state of the art equipment.

Optician can refer to an oculist or lens grinder, not to an optometrist or ophthalmologist (eye surgeon-MD). Please understand the differences.

You are of course perfectly right, PB (as so often). Vision Centre has its own "lens grinders" as well as an excellent optometrist. As PB often points out though, and I fully agree with, you should at regular intervals see a qualified ophthalmologist as well.

/ Priceless

The one thing that the outfit on Rajvitthi does not have (leastaways didn't have two years ago) is the ability to check for glaucoma.

He told me that most Thai's are not interested enough to warrant buying the equipment.

I don't know of an optometrist in CM that can do glaucoma testing.

You gotta go to some place like CM Ram (and their opthalmologists are drop dead gorgeous)

For those over 40 glaucoma checks should be done at least once every two years.

Edited by john b good

Indeed, john. And even with the most stunning MD eye surgeon having jumped ship and gone up the road to the outrageously overpriced Chiang Mai Ram, Sripat still has several good lookers and that old man, at half the price. Besides; if you're gay, or female, or your pupils are dilated, or you're more concerned about your eyes than your little head, who cares about the beauty pageant?

Yes, Winnie; slow day at the rest home. :)

Indeed, john. And even with the most stunning MD eye surgeon having jumped ship and gone up the road to the outrageously overpriced Chiang Mai Ram, Sripat still has several good lookers and that old man, at half the price. Besides; if you're gay, or female, or your pupils are dilated, or you're more concerned about your eyes than your little head, who cares about the beauty pageant?

Yes, Winnie; slow day at the rest home. :)

/ Priceless

Definately.

The optician speaks perfect English, fully computerised eye testing centre and huge choice of frames.

No more expensive than any other optician in Chiang Mai.

I am lucky enough not to need glasses, but I always take my wife and daughter there for their optical requirements.

As far as I`m concerned, Vision Centre is the only optician in Chiang Mai.

/ Priceless

Definately.

The optician speaks perfect English, fully computerised eye testing centre and huge choice of frames.

I am lucky enough not to need glasses, but I always take my wife and daughter there for their optical requirements.

i agree whole heartedly with the recommendation of the vision centre. and stay away from" the top " chain, if you want quality.

/ Priceless

Definately.

Whilst I haven't found a lot to agree with you about in some of your other posts I do on this issue :D

BUT unless he has abtained a machine in the recent past he cannot do glaucoma testing "which is done by most all optometrists in the developed world"

I have used his services for more than ten years and probably on my 3rd or 4th pair of specs from his shop.

On the subject of price you can pay more for some specs from him "depending on frames and lens prescription"

I have used (bought) titanium, partial frames, plastic, photochromatic and have paid Baht 15,000.00 +/- from Vision Centre.

Thai's in general are not concerned about quality "hence very few get their eyes tested bi-annually for glaucoma" but as long as their specs look the part are happy.

Edited by john b good

Another vote for Vision Centre. They did a wonderful job in fitting me with exactly the right prescription. While they do have lens grinding facilities on site, they sent mine off to Bangkok, which took about a week. I think it was because of my astigimotism (yes, I know I misspelled it). This same astigmotism has made it difficult for other professionals to fit me with the correct prescription, but he did a great job.

Yes, I'm concerned about the lack of testing for glaucoma or failure to look into the eye for things like detached retina or whatever it is eye doctors look for when they peer into your eyes with that annoying bright light. But, I figured next time I'm at a hospital for a physical, I'll be sure to schedule a check for those things. Meanwhile, I'm using the Vision Centre for my eyeware needs.

Hubby went into Vision Centre for a check-up since it has been more than a year since a check-up. Like me, he was very impressed with the equipment and professionalism. The optician told him his prescription was still perfect, no need for new glasses. I doubt the people at the glitzy chain stores with all the good-looking sales girls would have been so honest.