3 Thais Killed, 1 Swedish Woman Injured In Shootings Near Khao San Rd

Oberkommando

I am worried about all of this bad news in Thailand. It is not what is needed at all. Something like this once a week will gain recognition and then the articles will start on "Thailand - Land of Getting Murdered". Right or wrong it will come. God bless the dead and gods speed to the Swedish lady.

Edited by Canadianvisitor

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will not be "another blow to tourism" as some have suggested. Street crime is rampant in most urban areas here. Bangkok continues to be one of the most dangerous places in the world. Either you accept the facts or bury your head in the sand and hope you do not become a victim.

what a rubbish !!! :)

while crime of course DOES happen in a big city such as Bangkok, it is still much safer than almost anywhere else.

I dare to say, MUCH safer than, f.e., Phuket or Pattaya, considering the number of inhabitants living at those places.

None of the people that I know in BKK (and I know quite some since moving here 6 years ago) have ever been victim of a street crime nor have seen/witnessed such thing. if a crime happens, it will be usually burglary (yeah THAT indeed happens a lot, but thats a problem anywhere in South-East-Asia).

I live 22 years in BKK and confirm what you say. The 1 year I lived in Pattaya I saw more mugging, murder, daylight robbing, "suicides" with hands tied to the back, falling from buildings... than in 22 years Bangkok

I think what we are seeing is a result of the failing economies around the world. I know a Thai woman that was hit with a baseball bat and had money stolen by two on a motorbike while waiting for the bus. Numerous people going to and from the temples have been hit in the face only to have their Buddha images stolen right off their necks. Nothing causes more problems within the family unit than money issues, I think it's going to get worse before it gets better. We all need to be careful!

moral to the story(?) if you see Thai people arguing, stay clear.

If it appears they're drunk and there are weapons involved, duck for cover.

However, on the other side of the coin, there are some among us who might be inclined to step in to try and rescue someone being browbeat. pedestrianus emptor.

Hope they caught the a**hole with the gun - and get him to suffer the full weight of the law.

This happened in Pattaya a few years ago, 2 brits pulled a thai off a restarant owner that was getting slapped,, he returned later with a gun and killed 2 of them, as advised elsewhere, keep out of thai arguments, they dont value life as we do and dont consider the consequences of their actions, . :)

oh yes, I remember that. Even dragged the body of the woman with the car around. I wonder what sentence that thai-police guy received... if anything.

This happened opposite Burger King, at one of the T-Shirt sellers, just before the corner of Khao San Rd...

I popped out to seven around nine last night and saw alot of police and a crowd gathered.... rumour last night was Thai Husband had shot his wife and kid and tourist was hit in crossfire....

Vary sad.

This is crazy! Seems that every day a tourist is killed or dies in Thailand. Making Thailand safe for foreigners, whether from Thais or from foreign gangsters, has got be a priority for this goverment. When people ask me if it is safe to travel to thailand, i have to say it is not safest place. I think travelling to Lao or Cambodia or China is probably safer than Thailand at this point.

My father was planning to come and visit this year. We both decided it probably wasn't the best idea to make plans to travel here at the moment and I'll go to the UK instead.

Shame, that there seems to more and more horror stories in the news.

Thoughts go out to the families involved here.

Bottom line - do not get involved. Saw a fight yesterday lunchtime at the pier between 2 women. One even picked up a flagpole and used it as a weapon. So what happens if I take it off her just as the boatman (who eventually stopped it all) comes round the corner and sees me with the flagpole and her with a bloody nose? Just keep out of it, it 's not worth it.

This happened opposite Burger King, at one of the T-Shirt sellers, just before the corner of Khao San Rd...

I popped out to seven around nine last night and saw alot of police and a crowd gathered.... rumour last night was Thai Husband had shot his wife and kid and tourist was hit in crossfire....

Vary sad.

This is crazy! Seems that every day a tourist is killed or dies in Thailand. Making Thailand safe for foreigners, whether from Thais or from foreign gangsters, has got be a priority for this goverment. When people ask me if it is safe to travel to thailand, i have to say it is not safest place. I think travelling to Lao or Cambodia or China is probably safer than Thailand at this point.

I somehow doubt whether the young British woman who is currently banged up in a Lao jail and threatened with the firing squad on what look like trumped-up drugs charges would agree with that particular statement!

I also doubt whether Mexicans would currently agree with this statement insofar as China is concerned, seeing as they would be banged up for a week even if they showed no signs of H1N1 flu!

Edited by OJAS

Me, my father and my girlfriend were catching a tuktuk from the Muay Thai to Khaosan Road last night and the driver was telling us that 3 people were shot dead.

But there was no sign of police or anything when we got there, everything looked quite normal. We walked the whole length of the street to. At first what we heard was that 3 thais were shot dead.

That is how some people in Thailand react, when love becomes revenge, weapons are involved. Because words are not strong enough. Pain, get it over with, by ending everything that causes that pain. Not knowing that this will be a lifetime replacement of the biggest pain there is.

Breaking Hearts: Why do people always forget that every pain will cure itself, after every pain is a relief, this might be dead, or a better life!!!! and every pain will always make you better in the end, (after being sick you get better, better then before you were sick)

it's a transformation, every buddhist should know this. Taking responsibility over someone's life by ending it will lead to severe punishment not only by law, but also by nature. You will suffer your entire life, or if you believe in reincarnation, lives ...

I hear many thais threaten with killing each other when someone will break up or cheat on them, and in some cases they go for it..

"You are my life, I invested in you, I would share my life with you, you are mine! Now you're with someone else, that is a life threat, because when you are gone, all I am right now is together with you, so without you, I am nothing, I am dead.......so you are dead too!"

Or " Being this asshol_e I can never find anyone like you anymore, I might even end up alone for the rest of my life, so I might as well end your life too"

I am really sorry for the people that were killed.

Edited by Morris

Vary sad.

I somehow doubt whether the young British woman who is currently banged up in a Lao jail and threatened with the firing squad on what look like trumped-up drugs charges would agree with that particular statement!

Not trumped up charges

However, on the other side of the coin, there are some among us who might be inclined to step in to try and rescue someone being browbeat. pedestrianus emptor.

Hope they caught the a**hole with the gun - and get him to suffer the full weight of the law.

This happened in Pattaya a few years ago, 2 brits pulled a thai off a restarant owner that was getting slapped,, he returned later with a gun and killed 2 of them, as advised elsewhere, keep out of thai arguments, they dont value life as we do and dont consider the consequences of their actions, . :)

Exactly, Thais+alchol=strange violence.................unpredictable what they'll do = stay away ,they will never help you( I have expereience) . som na na :D

Edited by unforgiven

"""It will get worse too as so many people are being laid off from work, they need money to survive and if that means shooting up a store or a farang for his wallet and gold they have no fear of the consequences. Travellers be warned and be vigilant."""

Getting that way in the Philippines with the unemployment

Anything better for this story in English? It will probably come sooner or later.

Another blow to tourism..........what was that song they were playing when the Titanic went down?

:)

Thailand is struggling to get tourists and now they are taking shots at the one that did come. :D No seriously I think this is an isolated incident and it is not really going to effect the thai tourist industry. Firstly you need a tourist industry to damage and the thais have systematically eroded that over the last 12 months so I guess this incident will have no adverse effects.

Edited by marsteele

Statistically, Thailand may not be as dangerous as other places in the world but its reputation is what counts. Perception is everything. I.E...the very lame movie called Bangkok Dangerous, world-wide coverage of local crimes against tourists, rioting in the streets....it is all adding up to give Thailand the status of a no-go area for tourists and business investors. Sad because this is still a great place to live.

Vary sad.

what were you doing in "the ghetto"? i always wonder why anyone with common sense would go have a stroll in khao san !

this street ( now a whole block or two) is a plague and should be razed off the face of Bangkok .....

Edited by SabaiBKK

Exactly, Thais+alchol=strange violence.................unpredictable what they'll do = stay away ,they will never help you( I have expereience) . som na na :)

3 innocent people are dead, we have no idea what the Swedish girl was doing as there has been no report she was getting involved, probably just in the vicinity as it's Khao San area, where thousands of people are walking around and you're saying som nam na? What an ignorant, insensitive jerk statement to make.

Edited by Jimjim

This happened a few years ago. 2 English Firemen on holiday were in a bar near Soi 3, and a guy came in and started beating on the owner/cashier. The staff kept away, so the guys came to the rescue. The attacker pulled out a gun and shot both. One died and the other went to intensive care. He recovered.

They caught the guy and he went to trial months later. The fireman came back for the trial to testify and they guy was convicted andsentanced.

The story behind the attack was the bar owner owed 300,000 and the guy was sent to teach her a "Lesson" from the "Banker" , and hust carried the gun to frighten her. He claimed that when the guys tried to help, he paniced and shot them.

Thai's have a very different culture than back in western countries, there are so many stories on the news of people dying because of revenge or because of a failed romance.

There are psychopaths in every country, but does this kind of crime happen more in Thailand than in America/UK? I dont know because I come from NZ.

I went to a free concert in Buriram with about 5 to 10 thousand people and I have never seen so many fights in my life. There were big boxes of all the belts from the people who had been taken away in a paddy wagon. Why couldn't everyone just enjoy the concert.

i have to say this WILL be a hit on Tourism. Its one more horror story to be added to many. Its a common occurance to have violence at a poor economic times like this. But lets be honest when your debating where to spend your dwindling savings, is the first place you think of going to be where you keep seeing tourist getting smoked? No. Its just the way people are..stupid self preservation and all that..

As the economy gets worse and people start taking more risks to get money i imagine the way police crack down will become more and more extreme.

Edited by wrathfultalon

Statistically, Thailand may not be as dangerous as other places in the world but its reputation is what counts. Perception is everything. I.E...the very lame movie called Bangkok Dangerous, world-wide coverage of local crimes against tourists, rioting in the streets....it is all adding up to give Thailand the status of a no-go area for tourists and business investors. Sad because this is still a great place to live.

Yes I agree 100% Have friends back in Australia who planed a holiday to thai but have cancelled. The amount of bad press pouring out of thailand is flooding the world and turning tourists away in droves.

I think the posters arguing about the OVERALL safety of Bangkok vs. other large cities are missing the point about tourism.

Thai vs Thai violence and murder don't make the headlines in newspapers around the world.

What WILL make the European newspapers is that a young Swedish female was caught up in the cross-fire.

That will be the big story in the Scandinavian newspapers.

Other European countries will also print it because Thailand is kinda 'flavour of the month' due to Thaksin's movements and the red shirts v yellow shirts ASEAN debacle.

The 3 Thai people getting killed will be a byline, if mentioned at all.

Scandinavia in case you didnt know, send huge numbers of tourists to Thailand.

Huge.

This will seriously affect tourism, there is no doubt about that.

Scandinavians, in recent years in Phuket, have also been pretty big property players - buying second home condominiums and the like. This will certainly influence their decisions.

In normal circumstances, i wouldnt stand idly by and let someone get the shit knocked out of them, if i could help. But i'm sorry to say that when it's Thai vs Thai, i will not get involved. Too many guns and knives used here for my liking. Plus i just dont want to get involved with the Thai cops. I could suddenly find myself as being the perpetrator. (Over Songkran, in Patong, Phuket, an Aussie got involved with a Thai man vs Thai woman domestic. The Aussie got glassed by the Thai man. Guess who got arrested and handcuffed into the police pick up? Yep, the Aussie. The Thais disappeared)

If i see Thai people fighting, i leave the scene. Sorry.

Condolences an' all to the Thai families who are affected by this incident.

Firstly you need a tourist industry to damage and the thais have systematically eroded that over the last 12 months so I guess this incident will have no adverse effects.

over the last 12 months? wake up and smell the coffee, it all started when thaksin came to power and he started zoning the entertainment, making check piss, scarring the people who spend the most money in Thailand...... because lets be clear , its not the organized tours that bring money into thailand, they stay in american or french hotels , paid directly in they countries, they eat at the hotel and every other meal is already paid for , the most they spend is maybe the painted umbrella they will bring back from their asian adventure. on the other hand , travellers , party people , younger people , they don't stay in fancy hotels , but they stay generally long time AT THAI OWNED PLACES eat at THAI EATERIES drink THAI BEER , and end up spending more per head ( that goes directly in the thai economy)than a familly of 4 going 1 week at the phuket laguna.

that is where thailand has its head up the but regarding "quality tourists"

Three Thais apparently died in this incident, but the majority of the concern seems to be for the Swedish bystander who was only injured. Seems a bit out of whack to me.

agreed...

I remember seeing a Thai woman stabbed and killed by her husband on Rachadamnern Rd in the winter of '06/07. Right around the corner of Khao San. Under the elephant statue.

As long as a European or American wasn't involved no one cared.

There was none of this hangwringing over the decline of Thailand, the economy or tourists.

Yes. I agree to prev-speakers first of all. Tourist coming here. Stay away for God sake!! It doesn´t concern you if some Thai´s are having an argument. Just act like what you are, a tourist....

Read some depressing comments from other guys. I mean not ALL Thailand is being that bad, that quickly. I live up in Chaiyaphum. And now for the 10 months I have been living here, I never seen any act of violence, nothing at all. Maybe this is especially around the big tourist-metropols only (sofar!!)

It is bad luck for the young woman of course, but even worse for the three dead people; wife, boyfriend and the son!!

Glegolo

Who said anyone intervened? Khao San is a seriously busy place and with bullets flying around, people are bound to get injured whether they were involved or not.

This is yet another massive blow to Thailand. Street crime may be rampant in urban areas but usually outside of the sphere of the western media and I don't actually believe it is "one of the most dangerous places in the world" at all hence why it has attracted so much tourism in the past. There are many more dangerous cities, but it just takes one story like this to sway opinion.

geriatrickid, so it must be right

And "they" wonder why tourism is down :D

I know that it can (and does) happen everywhere but not with the frequency that it occurs in Thailand :)

I would like to see some statistics to back up this absurd statement. The Swedish woman wasn't even a target...she just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I wish I could obtain reliable statistics on crimes against foreigners while traveling to foreign countries, but I can't. Crime statistics are notoriously unreliable.

I can, however, provide you with a "peace index." Notice where Thailand is.......yes, scroll down.......way, way down near the bottom by Kenya.........notice where the Philippines is?

Cambodia is not listed no doubt because they don't have reliable statistics.

Here is the link: http://www.visionofhumanity.org/gpi/results/rankings.php

Whether real or not, the image of Thailand as a "safe place" is most definitely being tarnished.

But statistically it is!!!!!!!!