Which Italian Restaurant To Recommend ?

meyori

We would like to try one Italian restaurant in Chiang Mai while we are visiting there out of Phuket. We saw a few last time we were there and obviously could not tell which one is worth try. We would like to have lots of variety of pasta dishes with home made pasta. What do you think ?

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Osteria Wald on Chang Klan Road owned by Marco the Dutchman? If so (I know that there are two Italian Restaurants in that area), I was told that it had closed down, but I am not 100% sure. Anyone know?

I was told by a mate who lives in Twins Peaks that Osteria Wald has closed, shame for me it was welcome addition. As has been stated there are lots of Italians in town. For something different to what you probably find in Phuket (flashy and expensive) try Pom Pui moonuang rd soi2. good home cooking. Franco can be a miserable so and so, but he's friendly enough when you get to know him! the prices are reasonable and he only charges 100b if you bring your own wine which brings the price down. AND regulars to this forum will note he gives out FREE WATER

or Buonnisimo on Fatham Road by the river.

Faham Road.

And yes, that would be my recommendation as well. The place is a bit too big in the square meters it occupies so even at the best of times it seems empty, but don't let that put you off.

Am very surprised no one has mentioned the Pasta Cafe yet. In my experience with Italian cafes in CM, the Pasta Cafe has the most consistent quality and highest level of service visit-to-visit. Plus, you can get a carafe of wine for a reasonable price. It ranks as one of my favorite places.

M-Cuisine was recently bought by a new owner and the menu is the same but service is definitely better. Closed on Wednesdays and Sundays.

A lot depends on what you want to spend.

The best Italian restaurants in town are also the most expensive

I really liked Osteria Wald, had some Tuscan items on the menu that are very hard to find. I do hope it is not closing.

Another one I liked is Da Mattia, behind the Shangri La.

Stay away from Piccola Roma.

Buonissimo is good value for money and nice riverfront setting.

I last went to Pum Pui 2 years ago and loved the courtyard atmosphere and the cuisine was not bad all with very keen prices. I had heard a year or so ago that it had gone downhill. I would like to know if any readers have any recent feedback.

Regards Bojo

I had a meal at Osteria Wald recently so if it closed it must have just happened. Also had a meal at Beccofino and it shoud close....awful experience shared by 4 others at my table which was the only table in the place at 8 on a Saturday night. Had a freally bad time at Da Mattia but I won't share it. I agree that all should stay away from Piccolo Roma. You can always go visit Giorgio or try Arcoboleno...best frog legs in town!

Beccofino by all means!

Most of the Italian restaurants in Chiang Mai are quite good, but this one I consider outstanding.

I am hearing just negative reports about attendance and quality. Judge for yourself.

I am sorry to hear that. It was amazingly good when it first opened, and that was not too many months ago.

O dear, when it first opened I went to Beccofino three times and loved it. Sorry to hear it may not be so good. But will check it out myself again to be sure. Giorgio and Casa Antonio are generally of good high standards. I am sorry you don't like Piccolo Roma, he is a difficault man, and the atmosphere and price not very good, but I have always found the food to be excellent. Osteria Wald is closed. Pasta Cafe I found too bland and not special enough. Favola at the Meridiene is great for Italian themed Sunday brunches. Right, am hungry now. -

Mi Casa is not really an Italian restaurant, more of a mediterranean style place, but their pasta dishes are most excellent in my humble opinion, several notches above some of the Italian restaurants already mentioned. The service and atmosphere are also really good.

Then again, the evening is likely to end up a fair bit more expensive too. Depends on what type of experience you're looking for.

I am a regular at Buonissimo as well, and for a mid budget place they are very good at what they are doing, although I'd sooner recommend other dishes on the menu rather than their pasta (the leg of lamb is very tasty, for example, also the chicken in gorgonzola and several others).

Favola at the Meridiene is great for Italian themed Sunday brunches.

Still the same chef as when it opened? The main seems to have a fetish for chocolate and other sweet stuff.. Almost every dish there came out sweet. Also given the high prices I don't think this one will become a regular place for me..

Pum Pui used to be owned by Sergio before he sold it and moved on. Sergio now runs Buonissimo on Faham road, and that's the place to be. I think I've been at Pum Pui once since Sergio sold it and that was enough.

Thanks! I was wondering what happened to Serge. Pom Pui went down after he sold it to the sour puss.

Italian food is like any other "you like it or you don't" but when you get places Like "le coq d'or" advertising food at outrageous prices I wouldn't be seen dead in one of them.

Where do they think they are "downtown Paree, New York, Rome, Milan or wot"

5,000.00 and 6,000.00 baht for a plate of food, they can take a F/F

You can go to places like Pun Pun Restaurant (and others) and get a well cooked nourishing meal for 200.00 baht. OK the ambience might not be quite the same (Pun Pun's is far and away better) maybe Pun Pun doesn't have a pick up / take home limousine but shyt this is at best a 3rd world country (well isn't it?)

But you get these folk who think that they have to show their "supposed" wealth and just throw money away for what is really no more than crap food.

Italians!, put them in the same basket as the majority of French folk (not all I would hasten to say)

What has Italy done for the world other than the so called discovery or "pizza"

SFA...

Edited by john b good

Italians!, put them in the same basket as the majority of French folk (not all I would hasten to say)

SFA...

Didn't you watch The Life of Brian?

What have the Romans ever done for us? :)

Irrigation ...the aqueduct ...

Come on , be fair, credit where credits due!!!

Edited by chiangmaioldhand

Canned spaghetti :) ?

That, it seems, was an American contribution to the culinary arts. You might perhaps want to propose that TV members vote for it on a Miele Guide poll of some kind. :D

Edited by Rasseru