recently bought 2 rooms in a new Condo, joined them together.

Now since moving in I have had problems with woodworm, these have been dealt with and then the woodworm has reappeared, this has happened about 6 times. This problem has caused stress to both my wife and myself and I am fully aware of what woodworm can do.

Questions:

1. Can I make a claim for emotional stress? (no laughing in the back row please)

2. Can I tell the bank (Mortgage) that I am no longer willing to pay the mortgage and that

they can have the rooms?

3. Should I consider bringing the Consumer Protection agency in?

The Manager of the condo has said that he is willing to change the floor but I have to pay for the

workmen to do the job or vice versa. Also they will not move the built in furniture, which has parquet

under it, they will lay the new floor to the built in but not under. Cowboys.

I am willing to let anyone who wants to know the name of the condo, a hint being we are located in

Nonthaburi

Edited by beano2274

Long term solution: remove all parquet, paint on a layer of anti-termite coating on to the floor, and replace parquet with one that is impregnated with chemical. You can find this kind of timber floor at Leowood. They have a showroom at 3rd Floor Seacon Square (Robinson side).

Do not use MDF floor or furniture.

thanks for the info.

But money is gonna be a problem, I think that the Manager will not get new Parquet for me, but use the existing batch of Parquet he has.

Also the Furniture is built in, and like I mentioned, they will not move it out, but remove the parquet to where the furniture is, but not remove the parquet under the furniture.

But comment have been taken on board

What is this woodworm everyone speaks of? I never have anything wood in my place so I don't know how nasty these things can get.

Its most likely not woodworm but white termites, and they can be a real problem in a condo. Once in very difficult to get rid of. They eat their way through all the timber and paper too come to think of it.

Poisoning is quite effective, they get dust on them and carry it back to the colony and kill all their buddies. It works but it really needs every unit to do the same and have the whole project place poison throughout the common areas.

In all projects where I am a consultant, laying pvc pipes 30cm under all planting surface is a must. The pest contractor is then called in to pump poison into the planting soil with anti-termite chemicals.

If the project does not do this, you will get termites crawling up through the humid duct shafts.

In the UK very few people would buy a property without first getting a survey carried out by a qualified surveyer but in Thailand it seems normal just to hope that everything will be OK. Subject to any particular warranties you argeed with the seller you will have bought the property as seen and therefore will have no recource for faults (such as the precents of termites).

Termites can be very difficult to eliminate. I would strongly recommend bringing in a professional pest control company and not rely on the condo management to solve.

I am not sure of the location of your unit. However, under no circumstances would I ever consider buy a ground floor condo. The risk of termite problems is too high

"The Manager of the condo has said that he is willing to change the floor but I have to pay for the

workmen to do the job or vice versa. Also they will not move the built in furniture, which has parquet

under it, they will lay the new floor to the built in but not under. Cowboys."

You make reference to the condo manager, but have you contacted the Jurastic Committee or whatever they call it at your condo? The manager works for you, one of the owners of the property. Your ultimate answers and solutions will lie with the Condo. Management Committee if you can't get appropriate help from the manager, and with perhaps a legal advisor otherwise.

Also, several other questions pop to mind:

You haven't been specific about the type of infestation, what the pest control people have told you, what floor you're on, are other units infested?, any contact with other owners with similar problems with the manager etc. Does the condo have a regular pest control service?

Termites and small wood eating bugs called Motts are common to Thailand and a continuing problem. Our condo has a regular service for these problems. As far as I know, all Thai buildings start with a concrete infrastructure meaning pests generally come from airborn infestation or with the wood products when they are first brought to the site. The Motts I speak of are usually in the wood before it ever gets to your unit. Is this the woodworm you speak of? You notice them by the little piles of wood dust on the floor or inside your cupboards. They're pretty easy to deal with but may be a continuing concerne for awhile.

recently bought 2 rooms in a new Condo, joined them together.

Now since moving in I have had problems with woodworm, these have been dealt with and then the woodworm has reappeared, this has happened about 6 times. This problem has caused stress to both my wife and myself and I am fully aware of what woodworm can do.

Questions:

1. Can I make a claim for emotional stress? (no laughing in the back row please)

2. Can I tell the bank (Mortgage) that I am no longer willing to pay the mortgage and that

they can have the rooms?

3. Should I consider bringing the Consumer Protection agency in?

The Manager of the condo has said that he is willing to change the floor but I have to pay for the

under it, they will lay the new floor to the built in but not under. Cowboys.

I am willing to let anyone who wants to know the name of the condo, a hint being we are located in

Nonthaburi

The answers is no to your 3 questions:

As a buyer these are the things you should be checking before purchasing a property.

Yes you should name the Condo so other buyers know the building has a problem. But in doing so it will potentially lower the value of the property if you want to sell it.

If your apartment has a problem, it is very likely all the apartments have a problem.

It is a legal requirement that the property be fumigated regularly, there may be some legal recourse here

Unfortunately it sounds as if you bought a lemon.