Redclaw And Australian Guy Growing Them In Pak Chong Area

I read on here about an Australian guy growing redclaws in the Pak Chong area.

Does anyone know of him and contact details or directions to his property ?

I could not find any more information on him here as yet.

I would appreciate his contact number if anyone knows it by PM would be fine.

Cheers.

Redclaw is a crayfish. Something to put on the "barbie".

http://www.sea-ex.com/fishphotos/redclaw.htm

you really need to hone your Googling skills rkdrkd. Redclaw+australia brought up:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari...-8&oe=UTF-8

Regards.

Am using Safari for this and there are no emoticons?? So.....smilies all round.

I thought this would be a good idea several years ago.........then I thought that there would be no way the govt. would allow anyone to raise them in Thailand (maybe a Thai, but not a foreigner). Hint, hint..........

That was me .... not me raising them, but me who knows the guy who was raising them: he brought them into Thailand wrapped up in a sandwhich box with ice cubes (or something similar to that), because as you correctly note, they are an exotic species which the native fresh water crawfish population wouldn't stand a chance against (if they got into the streams).

He was keeping them in concreate water tank rings - and they were doing very well indeed. However, I haven't seen the guy for sometime now and last time I went past his palce no-one was in - so I dont quite know what the status is. It certainly didnt appear as though the project had commercialsed or expenaded in any way (just the same few tanks in place).

I'm going past again in about 10days time - I'll drop in and see if I can get an update, but gut feeling is that like so many of these project ideas ex-pats have, its gone nowhere. Still - there may be some redclaws left behind.

MF...I'm still interested in raising something like this one day near Batambang, Cambodia. We will be alotted a few hectres of my family's land for fish farming and would like to test these out someday. I'll have to hit you up for more info later, but hey, i wonder if these thing can survive the trip from the sacramento, california deltas?

Sok

I'm not the man to speak to about redclaws (or any other crawl/crayfish type animal!) - I know nothing about them or how to keep them - except that I'm told its not difficult.

They taste darn good in a Thai salad, or grilled with one or other of the spicy Thai sauces.

Would they survive the trip from Sacramento?

I see no reason why not - they're tough animals so packed properly and keept cool (yes - they can survive the cold - its just to slow their metabolism down while on the trip) they should be fine - use gel type cooling bags (not ice - it'll melt and create a mess). To be more exact if I recall correctly, he wrapped them in damp cotton wool, put that into a platic sandwich box and then surrounded the sandwich box with gel bags or dry ice.

I know there are issues about keeping males and females together, and needing keeping them seperated once spawning has taken place, but thats about the sum total of my knowledge - and they are an exotic species, so take precautions to ensure they don't escape and get into local streams.

Could they be commercialsed? - from a taste point of view no problem, but start selling them in the local village night market, you'll be getting lots of questions about what they are and where they come from, and it want take long for someone to take more than an eating interest in them - that will eventualy filter back to some or other agriculture official.

Could you get importation "formalised" (i.e. get whatever paperwork was required)? - probably, but I think it'll be a lot running around and rubber stamping.

MrWiggle - I'll pm you later with the guys house location - this part of Pak Chong on Google Earth, for some odd reason has had what was a high res overlay recently replaced with another overlay that is nowhere near as clear as the previous overlay, but I think I'll still be able to locate the exact Longitude & Latitude - will pm it to you later.

sok; google on crayfish , shipping live to your destination. The producers in La. have been shipping crayfish all over the globe, live with live delivery, for a long time. They are not redclaw from Aussie land but are big and good eating. We had 300 lbs. shipped to a oil camp, took 36 hours and they were still wiggling (not Thailand). We did not have to clear customs etc as it was by private aircraft. None escaped into streams as they were boiled and eaten within 4 hour of arrival. They would work here if raised like the commercial producers do. No clue to importing, customs, etc.

From Google

ABSTRACT

Two species of freshwater crayfish, red lobster : Procambarus acutus and red claw crayfish : Cherx quadricarinatus have been imported to Thailand for the purpose of omamental aquatic animal and as food. It may be raised in commercial scaie. The study examined the biological factors of crayfish. The red lobster lives in turbid muddy water and burrows along the bank while the red claw crayfish prefers to live in clear graveled water sheltering in pipe, net and rock area. Both crayfish are detritus and macrophytic feeder. They feed on aquatic plants as well as the shrimp formulated feed. A female red claw crayfish weighing 60 grams produced approximately 500 eggs with 80% hatching rate in 35 days. The percentage ratio of edible meat per body weight (± SD) of red lobster and red claw crayfish are 15± 4.5% and 28.5± 2.9% as respectively.

Ozzy; we used to figure 10 lb. boiled crayfish per person with boiled potato and beer. During the season the price would be around 6 to 8 cents a pound, potato was dirt cheap and Beer was 4.00 a case. Cheaper by the keg 16.00+ for a 15+- gallon keg. The coon asses said if you did not suck the head you were still a outsider. That probably increased the eatable meat to weight ratio.

• 4 weeks later...