Security Dogs

Svenn

Anyone have any knowledge on the effectiveness of large dogs for home security? Does the poisoned-treat tactic by burglars the biggest drawback?

I have 4 dogs and have never been burgled, then again, my neighbour has no dogs, and has never been burgled either !

This house is in Issan, so that probably makes a whole world of difference as opposed to living in Pattaya for instance, where I would never dream of buying a house, cos it's almost a certainty that the house will be burgled if you leave it for 2 weeks. Then again in Issan it's a lot easier for me to find a housesitter.

I would say Dogs are better than no Dogs for security, they will put off opportunists, and unless someone is targetting you specifically, opportunists are the most likely offenders.

In Pattaya for instance, if I owned a house, I would certainly have Dogs, and Alarms, and probably a Pride of Lions in the living room. :)

I don't own nought in Pattaya only a rental, and not a house, and after nearly 19 years, I have never been burgled in any rental there, one time nearly, only a security door stopped them, many guys I know or knew in Pattaya who worked in O&G business where robbed, and they rented or owned houses.

Condos are much less likely to he hit.

Go for the Dogs, keep them inside if you're really worried, great burglar alarms, then get some Air Horns to blast out of your windows, get a real hardwood door on your bedroom with a deadlock, keep keys inside that room, If a thief wants to get in they will, you can only make it so difficult they won't bother to try.

Edited by Maigo6

If your house is targeted a robber may use poisons to remove that threat to their easy access. So if the dogs keel over you have a day's notice that someone is likely to try that night.

Training dogs to ignore all food unless given by the owner is possible, but there are only a few places that will train that in Thailand.

Dogs, strong doors/grills and a security alarm system including cameras that works and is responded to is a functional combination.

HTH.

Dogs can easily be poisoned but they can also be trained not to accept treats from strangers. More than one dog is better.

While security dogs are a valuable element in a total home security program, we always recommend a multi-tiered approach. By this I mean a wall/fence with some type of alert installed, good door and window locks, motion sensor lights around the property and so on. Depending on only one form protection can leave your home and family vulnerable.