Bamboo Plantations

My friend Greg is visiting from Australia; he is Mr. Bamboo of Sydney and Terry Hills: www.mrbamboo.com

He is here for a bamboo plantations symposium to be held in Bangkok in a couple of weeks. In the meantime he is interested in visiting bamboo nurseries, plantations, government, royal projects or private.

If anyone has information and contacts to share we would appreciate it. Thanks, Don

Hello drtreelove, you might look in Thai Ag magazines, there are adds with places that sell different types.

Landscaping, food and building.

There were two add's at the top of this page when I opened it. Bamboo suppliers and bamboo groves and plants. Or just google it on with "co.th' instead of ".com", of course the one in Eng.

Ask at a bamboo roadside factory, we have a few a few that make ladders, tables, beds and things, ask him who his contact is and tell him why.

rice555

Hello drtreelove, you might look in Thai Ag magazines, there are adds with places that sell different types.

Landscaping, food and building.

There were two add's at the top of this page when I opened it. Bamboo suppliers and bamboo groves and plants. Or just google it on with "co.th' instead of ".com", of course the one in Eng.

Ask at a bamboo roadside factory, we have a few a few that make ladders, tables, beds and things, ask him who his contact is and tell him why.

rice555

Thanks Rice, those links led to some interesting information, including this disturbing bit from Wikipedia:

"There are many records of humans being tortured by bamboo.Because bamboo grows quickly, it can grow through a person, causing them much pain. The Mythbusters found that a piece of bamboo can grow through a person in 2–4 days, given the right growing conditions."

Bush and Cheney can have their "waterboarding", we have different methods here in bamboo land.

If you take the Night Safari/Flora Expo road and hang right (on way up to Wat Doi Kham) you will see a bamboo plantation. It has rows and rows of different bamboo.

I think it is attached to Royal Project as their packing place is next door.

Don't know exactly what they have as couldn't stop when we went past, was in a hurry.

Would be interesting to see though. Have to go without husband though, he hates gardening!

There is a lot of bamboo plantations in Prachinburi, I'm not sure about Royal Projects though. I would be interested in hearing more about the Symposium to be held in Bangkok.

Smithson, I just came across your thread from last year on the same subject, there is some good discussion there. I have asked Mr Bamboo to forward more info on the conference, when he replies I will post. I googled "bamboo plantations" and came up with some good sites, but I didn't see the conference he is planning to attend.

CmSally thanks for the tip, I drove by early this morning and spotted the bamboo farm that you mentioned. it appears from the sign to be a Royal Projects bamboo collection. We are planning to visit there early next week. If you want to join us let me know. Don

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully, the following places may interest him:

-Chiang Rai - Phu Chai Sai Mountain Bamboo Resort

- Mae Sot - Bamboo Craftwork (367 Moo 7, Tambol Maeku, Amphur Maesod, Tak, Thailand 63110)

- Phrae - Bamboo Products (232/5 M. 12,T. Pamat,A. Muang, Phrae 54000 Thailand)