Japanese Toursit

N47HAN

On Thai news last night,

Japanese tourist meets bar girl from Nana , stays with her for a month or so and one day asks is she'd like to go sightseeing with him. She explains to him that shes feeling ill and will stay in his hotel room till he returns........................................

Upon his return he finds his hotel safe open and discovers his 1 Million Thai Baht he has with him has mysteriously dissapeared along with his beautiful ti-lak !

Sould be a link somewhere to full story ( the news was on channel 7 )

who the hel_l would keep 1 million THB in the hotel room !

Not surprised Japanese did. It's the only cash society of all developed economies. That money is enough to buy 2 high spec Honda Jazz in Japan, also an equivalent of 13-14 gross monthly salaries of an English teacher.

Just sounds a bit odd that he had that much, about 300K baht would be closer to what they normally carry.

My friend's daughter (14 years old) went to Australia for 2 months student exchange and had all her money in cash. I even warned them to tell that to the hosting family, it's unusual for anyone in Oz (let alone kids) to carry that much cash, she may invite some trouble to the whole household.

Edited by think_too_mut

any way you count it, it's alot of colas at Rainbows 1, 2 , 3, 4, and 5.....

with a little change left over to buy a few japanese books from prom phong bts to read while in the company of beautiful gals from Nana.

Those hotel safes are not the most secure things.

Last year on a holiday to ao nung, I tried to open the small combination safe by following the instructions printed on the front. Needless to say the bloody thing wouldn't open so in a moment of frustration, I punched it (not real smart! :D ).

Well low and behold, this 30cm x 20cm x 20cm wasn't even fixed to the shelf and at a weight of about 10 kgs anyone could just pick it up and walk off with it. :)

Those hotel safes are not the most secure things.

Last year on a holiday to ao nung, I tried to open the small combination safe by following the instructions printed on the front. Needless to say the bloody thing wouldn't open so in a moment of frustration, I punched it (not real smart! :D ).

Well low and behold, this 30cm x 20cm x 20cm wasn't even fixed to the shelf and at a weight of about 10 kgs anyone could just pick it up and walk off with it. :)

20080612ds_safe_open_500.jpg

Give this one a go Soundman.......... :D

Edited by LeungKen

any way you count it, it's alot of colas at Rainbows 1, 2 , 3, 4, and 5.....

with a little change left over to buy a few japanese books from prom phong bts to read while in the company of beautiful gals from Nana.

Possibly, the guy got ready for Patpong Japanese bars where things and services are far more expensive. 6-8K baht LT. Still, considerably less than in Japan (and only 90 minutes).

He must had had some other issue - no way a Japanese would stay for 1 month in BKK (as the OP said). Salarymen (working in BKK) have no time limit like that and ordinary JP tourists stay 3-5 days.

Edited by think_too_mut

I know a Chinese guy who does this. He gets all the money he will need for his entire trip, whether it's to Thailand, Europe, USA, etc, in cash while still in China. I think it's absolute insanity to be carrying that kind of cash on you, I'll gladly pay some small banking fee.

He must had had some other issue - no way a Japanese would stay for 1 month in BKK (as the OP said). Salarymen (working in BKK) have no time limit like that and ordinary JP tourists stay 3-5 days.

I've met Japanese who stay for that long, or even longer. They are the minority, but they definitely exist.

I've met Japanese who stay for that long, or even longer. They are the minority, but they definitely exist.

I live and work in Japan, have Japanese direct reports.

Impossible that anyone holding a job could stay that long. Even 2 weeks are almost unheard of, probably once in lifetime - for honeymoon.

There is one way to to be employed and stay 1 month (part of 3 months leave): "Menthal sickness leave" that some take after being severely overworked.

Of course, that is not the first thing they tell you when you meet them. After admitting they could not cope with the stress and seeking medical help, their career is over, they know they will never ever seen any promotion or may be sent to listen to phone calls "for quality assurance".

Or, outright retrenchment with package + pension insurance (that could be significant money, if the guy was a professional, easily over 500K US$).

In short, no way someone could take all his alloted holiday in 1 go (teachers or similar can).

Edited by think_too_mut

That's great, but I've met Japanese who have. I don't really care what jobs they had back home, or if they had even begun yet, or were retired, but I know they were here for a long time and weren't working.

That's great, but I've met Japanese who have. I don't really care what jobs they had back home, or if they had even begun yet, or were retired, but I know they were here for a long time and weren't working.

That is great indeed. If he (a Japanese on "long holiday") robbed, maimed or even killed you, he may walk away free as any reasonable lawyer would bring the real reason (that you give no <deleted> about) behind his long term presence in Thailand and his availablity for your friendship.

Something is not right there. I would have been suspicious from the first moment.

on another note, if he picked the girl up in ' nana ' , surly there will be CCTV of this girl?

Probably yeah i can see it now, Dark Hair, Dark Eyes, Hair in a sort of 70's style Bun, looks young, lovely skin & as Jimbo says, they walked straight out of one of the Rainbow Gaffs... :)

I propose it wasn't robbery at all.

Considering how perverse and disturbed some Japanese guys can be, a month's worth of dressing in the gorilla costume while swinging from the trapeze with blackberry jam stuffed in every opening, I'd say a mil's about the going rate.

Thats a bit of a sweeping statement... I lived in Japan for two years and also knew quite a few friends who went to Thailand for long periods of time. One of them is still there and has now been for a total of 18 months (got a job after 3)

The story also doesnt say of course whether the guy was employed anyway, could have been a student, just quit job, online job even etc etc...

Thats a bit of a sweeping statement...

I lived in Japan for two years and also knew quite a few friends who went to Thailand for long periods of time. One of them is still there and has now been for a total of 18 months (got a job after 3)

While yours isn't?

The story also doesnt say of course whether the guy was employed anyway, could have been a student, just quit job, online job even etc etc...

No shit?

Does the story assume then that someone spending a month in a hotel in Bangkok with a bargirl is a quite normal guy with no issues whatsoever?

Anyone from anywhere doing that would have had some issue, I just threw what it might be when a Japanese man is involved.

^Most Japanese who would want to stay so long in a foreign country probably don't really care to have that much invested in the 'system' anyway- and given the breakdown in the social contract there, we probably won't see such loyalty persisting forever even for those who think they are on a 'career track.'

There are quite a few Japanese here with their own businesses (trading companies, manufacturing, and whatnot)- some of them may even be members of this website. There are a large number of Japanese expat families. There are a number of the so-called 'parasite' generation who work various part time jobs while living at home, saving up huge amounts of cash, who use that for work and study abroad, quite often after they have graduated from their Japanese universities. Some Japanese have even done the unthinkable and married Thais and immigrated here.

In many respects, I wouldn't think that such persons all 'have issues.' While I agree that the subject of the OP seems naive- money in the safe, hanging out with a bargirl- you should certainly know that many Japanese are very naive when they travel abroad (as many of us are) and it is entirely possible he didn't know that the woman was with him for 'other reasons.'

Thats a bit of a sweeping statement...

I lived in Japan for two years and also knew quite a few friends who went to Thailand for long periods of time. One of them is still there and has now been for a total of 18 months (got a job after 3)

While yours isn't?

Not at all. I've simply told you of some friends of mine who have spent longer than a month or so in Thailand after you claimed there was "no way" a Japanese would stay for a month in BKK....