Worried About The Old Men On Thai Visa In This Heat

ajarnpim

Really concerned about the old fogies who post on this forum. I really hope and pray that the heat doesnt harm you or your huge collective brains. . . . .

I mean that most sincerely folks

And with exactly as much sincerity as that contained in your hopes and prayers, I hope that you don't die soon, and instead live a long and healthy life! :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... snip ... I lost over 30kgs in the past 12 months and there's still a long way to go! To combat the heat, I take a recovery drink; it is a secret recipe which has been in my family since time immemorial and passed down through the generations.

Sawasdee Khrup Khun Hippo,

Congratulations (sincerely) on your weight loss ! Since my human (farang) body (and most of what's left of his mind) is inhabited by the soul-mind of an Orang, perhaps you could view me as a distant ancestor of yours, and, so, share with me your secret recipe ?

thanks, ~o:37;

...and, so, share with me your secret recipe ?

You want me to give you a secret that has been in my family since time immemorial summer of 1976? The secret was written down on vellum parchment the back of a Players No6 cigarette packet and is now stored in the vaults of Hippo Towers.

Some turn old when they turn 25. Others, and you need not look further than IanForbes, manage to stay young no matter how many years they clock up. :D

He hasn't done too well for a 33 year old.

:):D:D

Too true, Bill. It's hard to believe this was me over 50 years ago...

Ian_at_17_2.sized.jpg

Look on the bright side, Ian: you're still in love! :)

You're right, I'm in love with life! The funny thing is that I'm getting more action now than I did back then. It's funny what confidence and a bit of money will do. :D

Now you have discovered the secret to becoming an "old" fogie. :D

Correction, what I did was state it. :D

Glad you removed your irritating bottom tag line.

Hmmm, wonder what that might have been . . . :)

Now you have discovered the secret to becoming an "old" fogie. :D

Correction, what I did was state it. :D

Glad you removed your irritating bottom tag line.

Hmmm, wonder what that might have been . . . :D

Yes I have learned some people are good at quoting things but never learn from what they are quoting. Too bad !

If you cannot remember, it is an indication of mental illness :)

Really concerned about the old fogies who post on this forum. I really hope and pray that the heat doesnt harm you or your huge collective brains.

I advise lots of whiskey, try smoking more, turn the air con off and embrace the heat by sitting out in it especially around noon time. Im sure it will help. Best of luck old boys.

I mean that most sincerely folks

What the hel_l is this all about?

This OP sounds like a sad non-entity who is screaming out to be heard and noticed.

My advice is, try and make some friends, or find people who at least acknowledge you exist.

Are you on medication?

Call this heat? Poo. I grew up where we'd put on a sweater if it got this cold.

Turned 60 recently. Mention to the GF I was getting old. She's 31 and seems to think I'm just fine.

Nice thing about Thailand. You're only as old as your wallet.

Goodness me. My light hearted, slightly flippant post sure has riled you oldies.

It was only meant as a bit of fun. Dont get out of your prams. Wheres your sense of humour. Theres just so many of you as well. Why dont you form a little gang. Get yourselves some crochet colours and cruise.

Seriously though "YOU MUST"

Calm down a bit, your blood pressures will be topping out around 220/120.

None of you are getting any younger you know. :)

old_bikers.doc

Edited by ajarnpim

Rattled? Whom, I? Pim, I'll race you to the next steam room. :)

Grammar question. As a general matter, shouldn't that be either 'Whom, me?' or 'Who, I?' And, in this case, the latter would be correct, no?

Edited by Rasseru

I could be wrong about this, but I think that "whom" is no longer used. Too old fashioned. unsure.gif

The form who is replacing whom in objective case contexts. As early as the 1970s, the who-whom distinction was identified as having "slipped so badly that [it is] almost totally uninformative" (Wanner & Maratsos 1978). According to the OED (2nd edition, 1989), whom is "no longer current in natural colloquial speech". Lasnik & Sobin 2000 argue that surviving occurrences of whom are not part of ordinary English grammar, but the result of extra-grammatical rules for producing "prestige" forms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_(pronoun)

There is a lot more about it on wiki.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I could be wrong about this, but I think that "whom" is no longer used. Too old fashioned. unsure.gif

The form who is replacing whom in objective case contexts. As early as the 1970s, the who-whom distinction was identified as having "slipped so badly that [it is] almost totally uninformative" (Wanner & Maratsos 1978). According to the OED (2nd edition, 1989), whom is "no longer current in natural colloquial speech". Lasnik & Sobin 2000 argue that surviving occurrences of whom are not part of ordinary English grammar, but the result of extra-grammatical rules for producing "prestige" forms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_(pronoun)

There is a lot more about it on wiki.

Aiyahhh !! :D Whom is an objective pronoun whereas who is subjective. There are cases where it becomes a bit blurred but it is mostly fairly obvious. It is not a case of old fashioned, just a case of most people can't separate the subjective and objective. As one of our posters put it we are all becoming a bunch of riff raff. Where on earth is Edith Clampton when you need her. :)

most people can't separate the subjective and objective.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Cmsally,

I thought that was why we came to Thailand.

"we are all becoming a bunch of riff raff."

It is a hard road to the bottom, but the goal is worthwhile.

to whom it may concern, ~o:37;

Some turn old when they turn 25. Others, and you need not look further than IanForbes, manage to stay young no matter how many years they clock up. :D

He hasn't done too well for a 33 year old.

:):D:D

Too true, Bill. It's hard to believe this was me over 50 years ago...

Ian_at_17_2.sized.jpg

Geeze Ian, whitey tighties?

No wonder yer gettin more now than then. :D

I could be wrong about this, but I think that "whom" is no longer used.

You are wrong about it, dude. The term 'whom' was just used, by Peaceblondie, and I was asking a question about whether he had used it properly. :)

Aiyahhh !! :D Whom is an objective pronoun whereas who is subjective. There are cases where it becomes a bit blurred but it is mostly fairly obvious. It is not a case of old fashioned, just a case of most people can't separate the subjective and objective. As one of our posters put it we are all becoming a bunch of riff raff. Where on earth is Edith Clampton when you need her. :)

That's all very well, k. cmsally, and thank you very much, but are you able to help me avoid becoming even more of a sprig of riff raff than I already am, by answering the question I asked?

most people can't separate the subjective and objective.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Cmsally,

I thought that was why we came to Thailand.

"we are all becoming a bunch of riff raff."

It is a hard road to the bottom, but the goal is worthwhile.

to whom it may concern, ~o:37;

An impressive effort to establish a position of leadership!

I started saying "Whom, I?" after I became an English teacher. "Who, me?" sounds equally incorrect. I say it ironically, as a Yankee who moved to :) Texas, y'all. :D

Cute, very cute! Ironic horsing around, deliberately using the wrong forms. And now . . . the correct usage would be? :D

I could be wrong about this, but I think that "whom" is no longer used.

You are wrong about it, dude. The term 'whom' was just used, by Peaceblondie, and I was asking a question about whether he had used it properly. :)

Wouldn't the correct question have been to ask whether it would have been used correctly before it became archaic? whistling.gif

Wouldn't the correct question have been to ask whether it would have been used correctly before it became archaic? whistling.gif

That doesn't seem quite right, UG. For example, one distant day, if you live long enough, you will become archaic. (No rude laughter from the riff raff, please.) I am confident that, notwithstanding your being an archaism, you will even in that time retain some views about how you want to be used, that is to say, the correct way. :)