What Type Of Chickens Do These Eggs Come From?

IanForbes

What type of chickens do these pretty little eggs come from? I've seen them in some Chiang Mai markets but they look too pretty to eat. They are a bit smaller than regular size eggs and more on the size of Banty chicken eggs. But, Banties lay normal colour eggs. I've never seen that variety of eggs in North America.

Thai_party_food_3.jpg

Nok Kratha in Thai.

Which actually is Thai for partridge.

นกกระทา nohkH graL thaaM [noun]

definition: partridge

rufousthroatedpartridge4.jpg

Don't order them unless you're with someone with small fingers and the patience to peel them.

And no farting afterwards.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Quail Eggs.

Thanks for the answers, guys. I thought those critters looked like quail. We have a variety of quail in North America, but they don't lay pretty eggs like those. But, we DO have various birds that lay spotted eggs that match the gravel.

Our Killdeer lay their spotted eggs right out in the middle of a gravel field and they blend right in. The mother killdeer will give you the broken wing trick to lead you away from her babies.

Killdeer_mother_3_Em.sized.jpg

The little chicks are cute little critters.

Killdeer_baby_1_Em.sized.jpg

if i remember correctly those little eggs have 400% more cholesterol than chicken eggs, may want to double check that fact.

Quail Egg: 76mg in a 9Gram serving (1 egg)

Chicken Egg: 577mg in a 136Gram serving (1 egg, hard boiled)

Always wanted to know this as well. I guess not really that much when compared to an egg.

from Nutrition Data.

if i remember correctly those little eggs have 400% more cholesterol than chicken eggs, may want to double check that fact.

Ah, sort of like good things come in small packages.... Like jewelry and Thai women.

Ian_Veu_1.sized.jpg

It is similar to domestically grown strawberries when compared to wild strawberries.

Domestically grown strawberries are big and beautiful looking, but have very little taste. Wild strawberries are tiny and barely the size of your little finger nail, but it's like they've condensed the flavour into one tiny jewel that sits on your taste buds.

so are they quail or partridge eggs?

There is not much difference between quail and partridge, except partridge are usually slightly larger. There are many varieties of each. Many of the partridge we have in North America were originally imported from Asia and Europe.

Good Morning Ian. You caught me off guard with a real question about real birds with real eggs, and no punch line. But hey, be careful when you talk about what birds there are in 'North America.' As a California native, my State bird is the California Valley Quail - handsome little devils they are, and plenty of them if you know where to look. That makes for many quails in N. America.

Ah, sort of like good things come in small packages.... Like jewelry and Thai women.

Ian_Veu_1.sized.jpg

She’s beautiful. I can’t get a girl like that.

What have you got that I haven’t got?

Edited by sassienie

Ian_Veu_1.sized.jpg

It is similar to domestically grown strawberries when compared to wild strawberries.

Domestically grown strawberries are big and beautiful looking, but have very little taste. Wild strawberries are tiny and barely the size of your little finger nail, but it's like they've condensed the flavour into one tiny jewel that sits on your taste buds.

Beautiful little lady with you IanForbes, cute little Panda Bear, bet she has one at home just like it. My little lady does.

Quail Eggs.

Thanks for the answers, guys. I thought those critters looked like quail. We have a variety of quail in North America, but they don't lay pretty eggs like those. But, we DO have various birds that lay spotted eggs that match the gravel.

Our Killdeer lay their spotted eggs right out in the middle of a gravel field and they blend right in. The mother killdeer will give you the broken wing trick to lead you away from her babies.

Killdeer_mother_3_Em.sized.jpg

The little chicks are cute little critters.

Killdeer_baby_1_Em.sized.jpg

I use to see these on the lake where we lived and it was really interesting watching them lure you away with the broken wing trick. But when they did that you knew there were young somewhere. They were really cute little birds. Almost more leg than bird. :)

My question is what are those pink eggs I see in the supermarkets ? My Thai friend says they are " horse piss eggs" YUK ! Anyone know what those pink colored eggs are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_egg

Fascinating. Thanks for the referral. You learn something new every day if you keep your mind open and don't mind asking questions.

I use to see these on the lake where we lived and it was really interesting watching them lure you away with the broken wing trick. But when they did that you knew there were young somewhere. They were really cute little birds. Almost more leg than bird. :)

Yes, Bolo, a lot of bird species use the fake broken wing to lure predators away from their young. It is very common with grouse, but I've even seen crows and ravens use the trick to take you away from something they want. While you are busy following the so called injured bird its mate will carry on eating or doing whatever it was before you disturbed them.

This photo is the same mother killdeer trying the fluttering tactic to get us away.

Killdeer_mother_8_Em.sized.jpg

She's beautiful. I can't get a girl like that. What have you got that I haven't got?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Sasienie,

A better question might be : "what do you have that he hasn't got ?"

best, ~o:37;

Ian_Veu_1.sized.jpg

She's beautiful. I can't get a girl like that.

What have you got that I haven't got?

her... :)

Veu is a good friend I've known for three years. I met her the first week she came to Chiang Mai and she could barely speak English. Now she does better than most Thais. She's a real nice young woman and has a 3 year old daughter. I don't know if she is still in town or not because the last e-mail I got she was talking about going back home and starting a small business. I taught her how to play pool and now she beats me half the time...

Veu.sized.jpg

Veu is a good friend I've known for three years. I met her the first week she came to Chiang Mai and she could barely speak English. Now she does better than most Thais. She's a real nice young woman and has a 3 year old daughter. I don't know if she is still in town or not because the last e-mail I got she was talking about going back home and starting a small business. I taught her how to play pool and now she beats me half the time...

Veu.sized.jpg

:)