Swiss Tourist Found Strangled On Krabi Beach

george

Swiss tourist found strangled on Krabi beach

KRABI: -- A female tourist from Switzerland was found strangled on a beach in this southern province Thursday.

Police said the tourist was found dead on Noppharat Beach in Tambon Aonang of Muang district.

She was found lying down with the strap of her handbag tied around her neck.

She was identified as Edis Jungen, 30.

Police said she checked into the Andaman Sunset Hotel on Tuesday and checked out on Wednesday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-05-07

This is another nail in the coffin for Thai tourism, thank christ I don't rely on tourism for money.

I'm in Japan at the moment and Japanese friends are expressing their concerns over safety in Thailand, thats aside from the political situation, needless to say, many have postponed trips to Thailand this year and choose somewhere safer.

Shame really, as the chances of getting robbed are probably higher in London than they are in Bangkok, yet Thailand has got so much bad press lately, it's gonna really reflect on the tourist figures this year.

Kinda sorry for the guys that rely on Tourism to make a living, although they will mainly say that they are doing great, whilst at the same time trying to sell the business...

The Swiss woman was strangled, it don't matter who strangled her be it Thai , Farang, Burmese, or a Martian, it happened in Thailand, so Thailand will suffer the consequences.

RIP to the Swiss woman.

and now, more news, with no mention of strangulation as well as with the seemingly obligatory different name spelling and different age listing...

Swiss found dead on beach

BANGKOK - A Swiss woman was found dead on a Thai beach along the Andaman coast on Thursday, police said, though the cause of death was not immediately clear.

They said the body of Edith Jungen, 40, had been found in shallow water early Thursday by a villager in Ao Nang bay in Krabi province, 814 kilometres from Bangkok.

'There are no major cuts on her body, but a few bruises on her face. We have sent her body for an autopsy,' case officer Lieutenant-Colonel Wittaya Meklai told AFP by telephone.

He said Jungen had arrived at a local hotel on Tuesday and checked out a day later before she was found dead. Her body was found not far from the hotel.

In January Thai police arrested a local man for the murder of a female German tourist who was killed during a notorious full moon party on a beach in southern Thailand.

Despite its reputation as a holiday paradise, Thailand has seen a series of tourist murders in recent years, including the shooting deaths of two Russian women whose bodies were found slumped on deck chairs in Pattaya in 2007.

- AFP / 2009-05-07

Edited by Maestro
Fixed quote tags - Maestro

Body of Swiss tourist found on Krabi beach

PHUKET: The body of a female tourist from Switzerland was found on a beach in Krabi province today.

Police said the tourist had apparently been strangled on Noppharat Beach in Tambon Aonang of Muang district. The beach lies roughly 20 kilometers east of Phuket by boat across Phang-nga Bay.

Police said she checked in to the Andaman Sunset Hotel on Tuesday and checked out on Wednesday.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-05-07

Online translation of Swiss news:

http://www.blick.ch/news/ausland/schweizer...enstrand-118564

Woman strangled in Krabi found

KRABI (Thailand) – Terrible finding on the holidays beach of Krabi: A 30-year-old Swiss lies deadly in the waves. Strangled with own handbag

Shock for vacationers in the Noppharat Beach in the Thai resort Krabi. Today they find a young woman deadly on the beach. It is the 30-year-old Swiss E.J.*

As the Thai newspaper "The Nation" reports, the vacationer was strangled. Around her neck one found her handbag. "These are no big cut injuries in the body of the woman," the newspaper "Straits Times" says and responsible policeman Wittaya Meklai quotes only some injuries in the face.

The woman had checked in on Tuesday in the Andaman Sunset hotel and had departed again after only one night. Then her track loses itself, until she was found dead early today. The people whom they have seen her last tell that she has done a confused impression.

According to Radio 1 the Swiss message *perhaps they mean Embassy* has been asked for assistance with the clarification of the death.

What is going on???

Just imagine all the foreign newspapers covering these stories: american, swedish, norwegian, french, swiss, etc..

Within one week all of these countries (except the swedish) have lost one of their nationals.

I suppose that by now the whole world starts wondering about safety in Thailand. Really bad news!

To be honest, I would absolutely advise anyone of my friends against going down there. It is scary and it really is not safe.

Anyone who is saying the opposite and comparing it to other countries is wrong in my opinion.

Safety is one of the main reasons why people came to Thailand.

All of these incidents should be immediately and thoroughly investigated. This really cannot be happening here.

I am very sorry for the loss of this young life and my sincere condolences to the family.

''Really not safe'' - i wouldnt agree with that. I have lived here in Aonang for 7 years and have only known of 2 farangs being intentionally killed.

What is going on???

Just imagine all the foreign newspapers covering these stories: american, swedish, norwegian, french, swiss, etc..

Its indeed sad but this will not make headline news in "all the foreign newspapers". Maybe in the local press.

It will not stop people from coming to Thailand.

Its indeed sad but this will not make headline news in "all the foreign newspapers". Maybe in the local press.

It will not stop people from coming to Thailand.

I agree with that. Sadly the murder of a young foreign woman happens somewhere in Thailand almost every year, and tourists still arrive. It's a worldwide problem....

sad sad news. No witnesses? Perhaps a reward will bring at least one out of the bushes.

Pretty much anything done outdoors in Thailand is witnessed by at least one person.

If you don't believe that, try taking a thousand baht bill, waving it in the air for a few minutes, then let it drift away on the breeze. See if anyone notices.

I have been here a fairly long time now and would say that if anything Thailand is safer now than in before.

I certainly feel safer walking down any street here than I do in big city anywhere else in the world.

Woman mysteriously dies in Thailand

A Swiss woman was found dead early yesterday on a popular beach at Krabi.

The body of Edith Jungen, aged about 30, was found in shallow water on Noppharat Beach in Tambon Ao Nang in Krabi's Muang district. The strap of Jungen's handbag was tied around her neck.

Krabi's Deputy Governor Chailert Pinyoratchote told a press conference yesterday afternoon the case did not appear to be a murder. An initial medical examination found no trace of physical assault or rape.

Officials would wait for autopsy results in two days.

Dr Kamolrat Jintanawilas from Krabi Hospital said an initial examination found no major wounds, except a slight scratch on the woman's forehead, thus it was more likely to be a drowning.

Lt-Colonel Wittaya Meklai said Jungen arrived at Andaman Sunset Hotel on Tuesday and checked out a day later before she was found dead not far from the hotel.

Inquiries revealed a male foreign friend picked her up from the hotel after she checked out, he said.

Police were looking to see if young thugs may have come to rob her valuables, as tourists often sit near the beach in the evening. She may have resisted and been strangled with the bag strap before thieves fled with her belongings.

Witnesses told of seeing her in an agitated state. There had also been a report of a phone call from Switzerland allegedly asking the hotel to open her room and take care of her because she feared someone would attack her.

Police were also probing to see if Jungen may have committed suicide.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-05-08

yes, as an example; a young German couple I'm visiting with were planning to go to Krabi/Phi Phi area. I advised against it. They're now going to Laos instead.

You never know. Try to keep your wits about you. Don't be too standoffish and don't be too friendly to strangers. Try a sort of middle ground. For example: if I'm approached by one or more local guys in a vulnerable setting (isolated area) I'll nod an acknowledgment, but won't get caught up in their overly-friendly advances. Of course, I'm a guy, so it's not near the vulnerable factor as a woman, particularly if the farang woman is young and attractive. But those types should particularly follow my advice: don't be too friendly.

Some farang women (especially young ones) think; if they don't act sweetsy, that they will offend the local guys coming on to her. Not so! If a farang woman wants to learn how to react to local guys' unwanted advances, she need only look at how proper Thai women deal with such scenarios. They avoid eye contact, dress conservatively, and avoid places where they might be isolated - especially at night. I know farang women would rather be open/responsive to local guys, and be able to dress flirtingly and be free enough to jog solo on a secluded beach at sunset - but Thailand is just not safe enough for that. Ok sure, an attractive woman could possibly do that nineteen times, but the 20th time might be disasterous for her. Err on the side of caution. Have fun, but don't assume the local guys are as sweet as they are cute. There are some very bad apples out there, and you don't want to find out too late who they are.

Actually, from the stories I have heard, the same rules apply to dealing with western men as well. Predators are everywhere and come in all races and colors.

Unfortunately alot of people (men and women) come to Thailand and see what appears to be a Paradise, with no rules. If they behaved in the same cautious manner here as they did back home, there would be less issues. But, holiday mode starts, enter the Paradise theory, and common sense often goes out the window.

I am not saying this happened in this poor woman's case, and neither am I saying that she somehow "deserved" what happened to her. Nobody ever does. And whoever did this to her deserves the full punishment of the law. I find it very sad that women cannot feel safe, even on a beach in the daytime.

But to warn women solely against Thai men is disingenuous at the least and possibly dangerous at the worst.

Swiss tourist found strangled on Krabi beach

KRABI: -- A female tourist from Switzerland was found strangled on a beach in this southern province Thursday.

Police said the tourist was found dead on Noppharat Beach in Tambon Aonang of Muang district.

Police said she checked into the Andaman Sunset Hotel on Tuesday and checked out on Wednesday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-05-07

And another case for the decline of the tourist income of Thailand

Living in Krabi and listening to Krabi news it seems that they are already choosing for the suicide path :) .

Possible but rather unlikely I'd say. Reason they are following the suicide path is because she was acting irradicately when checking out of the hotel.

Weird that so many of us tend to kill ourselves here :D .

Anyway another sad story.

Swiss woman found dead in Krabi

KRABI, May 7 (TNA) - Swiss woman was found dead in the southern province of Krabi Thursday morning. The cause of her death remained unclear and initial investigation indicated it was not murder.

Krabi Deputy Governor, Chailert Pinyorattanachote, said a preliminary investigation indicated the 30-year-old Swiss woman might have drowned, as there were no serious wounds on her body, except a bruise on her head.

Mr. Chailert said the woman was identified as Edith Jungen. She was found dead around 6 am in shallow water not far from her hotel in Ao Nang bay.

Regarding the bruise on her forehead, the deputy governor said the deceased might have fallen and hit her head on a rock, then drowned.

Lt.-Col. Wittaya Meksai, head of the investigation team, said the body was to be sent for an autopsy at Songklanagarind Hospital.

Investigators were also assigned to search out the locations Ms. Jungen might have been before her death.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-05-07

Woman mysteriously dies in Thailand

A Swiss woman was found dead early yesterday on a popular beach at Krabi.

The body of Edith Jungen, aged about 30, was found in shallow water on Noppharat Beach in Tambon Ao Nang in Krabi's Muang district. The strap of Jungen's handbag was tied around her neck.

Krabi's Deputy Governor Chailert Pinyoratchote told a press conference yesterday afternoon the case did not appear to be a murder. An initial medical examination found no trace of physical assault or rape.

Officials would wait for autopsy results in two days.

Dr Kamolrat Jintanawilas from Krabi Hospital said an initial examination found no major wounds, except a slight scratch on the woman's forehead, thus it was more likely to be a drowning.

Lt-Colonel Wittaya Meklai said Jungen arrived at Andaman Sunset Hotel on Tuesday and checked out a day later before she was found dead not far from the hotel.

Inquiries revealed a male foreign friend picked her up from the hotel after she checked out, he said.

Police were looking to see if young thugs may have come to rob her valuables, as tourists often sit near the beach in the evening. She may have resisted and been strangled with the bag strap before thieves fled with her belongings.

Witnesses told of seeing her in an agitated state. There had also been a report of a phone call from Switzerland allegedly asking the hotel to open her room and take care of her because she feared someone would attack her.

Police were also probing to see if Jungen may have committed suicide.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-05-08

So, from this article I am to believe that a young woman was found with her handbag tied around her neck

and since no sign of assault was found then we must take it that she drowned.

No, it then says that she may have struggled with some robbers who quite possibly strangled her.

Wait, it's changed again, people saw her in an agitated state and someone overseas feared that she may be in

some kind of danger and phoned to check up on her.

But the police are looking into this as a possible suicide.

Incredible. The worst reporting I have ever come across.

My sympathies to this young lady, her family, and her friends.