One Year Visa Extension

Hi I have just returned from a 370 km round trip to Nong Khai Immigration.Despite "good " reports of their improved system,I found their office just as chaotic and disorganised as ever.True,there IS a "Queue"number system .but it dosent work.I got ticket number 11 the "TV" screen showed 38,and I was called in about 10 minutes!/ This is my 20 year here,and I have enjoyed the "Grandfather" clause to date. Today I was told "NO visa,you dont have enough" money" ??? When asked about the Grandfather clause,I was told"Dont matter if you are a grandfather "!!?? Go to Laos and get a visa."I was given(?) a 2 month "chop" .and told not to come back!! IS THE GRANDFATHER CLAUSE STILL VALID??? On return home home I phoned the Immigration office at Bangkok.Eventually ,I asked this question,after much giggling and Musak The seemingly 15 year old advised that I should go to Laos and ask there>!! Is this the LOS Or Disneyland ???? HHHHHEEELLLLPPPP !

I am moving your post to the visa forum.

Yes the grandfatehr clause still exists.

This is what the police order says.

(6) For an alien who entered Thailand before October 21,

1998 and continuously allowed to stay in the Kingdom as a

retiree, the following shall apply:

(a) He/she must be 60 years of age or over and has regular

income. His/her bank account deposit shall not be less than Baht

200,000 a year and evidence of the account deposit for the

previous 3 months must be shown; or he/she has a monthly

income of not less than Baht 20,000.

(B ) If he/she is under 60 years of age but not less than 55,

the alien shall have regular income with a bank account deposit

of not less than Baht 500,000 a year and evidence of the

account deposit for the previous 3 months must be shown, or

he/she has a monthly income of not less than 50,000 baht

More info.

Since they gave you a 60 day extension it sounds like they gave it to you because you are married to a Thai. You haven/t said which part of the grandfather clause you fit into.

If married to a Thai you can now show 400,000 baht in the bank for 2 months again (not a joint account.though).

If you are grandfathtered I suggest you print out the police order in Thai and have somebody mark 2.22 (6) and show it to immigration.

Thai version of police order: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a70478-...-2551.pdf.html/

More info.

Since they gave you a 60 day extension it sounds like they gave it to you because you are married to a Thai. You haven/t said which part of the grandfather clause you fit into.

If married to a Thai you can now show 400,000 baht in the bank for 2 months again (not a joint account.though).

If you are grandfathtered I suggest you print out the police order in Thai and have somebody mark 2.22 (6) and show it to immigration.

Thai version of police order: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a70478-...-2551.pdf.html/

Hi Ubonjoe,I am most grateful for your reply,however,I cant "bring up" the police order!Still I will cast about to find a helpful Thai!, It is reassuring to know "Grand dad" is alive and well!Thanks again.

The link works fine for me.

Suggest OP goes to immigration one month before his current extensions expires, so he has time to do something else if immigration still refuse.

Note that you can ask for a decision in writing and this decision you can "appeal".

Op doesn't say on what grounds he was applying under. If the Marriage Extension I do not think that the money required is grandfathered anymore. It used to be 200,000 in the bank.

I also went to Nong Khai last week for a Re Entry Permit. It was my first visit and I found it a very unfriendly place. Not looking forward to my next extension visit.