Earth Rod Clamp

gouda

hi people

i just bought a solid copper earth rod 2.4m , about 10mm diameter. I had to buy a clamp separately, which has Heavy duty 50/70 written on it. The cheaper steel core rods had clamps provided.

Anyway this clamp is in 2 pieces, 1 like a "U" shape which tapers out and another flatter piece. The rod is supposed to go in the "U"shape part. the 2 pieces are connected by two small bolts. However I'm having serious problems getting the thing onto the rod. i.e. the U shape seems too small

Is it supposed to be like this of a tight fitting ? or have I been supplied with the wrong clamp? The boss in the shop specifically mentioned the assistant to get the 50/70 clamp

unfortunately don't have pics as its at the building site

Whilst it should be tight, it should also fit. I've not seen that exact design so I can't really comment, solid copper rods are quite soft so it may just require 'persuading' :)

I'd drop back to the shop and play the dumb farang, 'how does this fit please?' :D

It sounds like you were given a standard U-clamp which is normally used as tubing clamps such as antenna mounts (first picture below). The one you should have and more standard in Thailand is like picture two below.

post-566-1241754115.jpg

post-566-1241754138.jpg

If all else fails, go to the local motor parts supplier or Big C and buy a stainless steel hose clamp of a size sufficient to fit your earthing rod.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was always taught never to clamp ferrous metals next to non-ferrous metals due to a corrosive chemical reaction.. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was always taught never to clamp ferrous metals next to non-ferrous metals due to a corrosive chemical reaction.. :)

I wouldn't recommend it, could be adverse electrolytic / galvanic effects.

Besides, our OP has a clamp that is just tight, probably needs a little relief with a file / hammer. Let's see if he comes back with some piccies :D

thanks for all your replies

it does look similar to the pics posted by longball but not exactly

called the shop and they said they did have larger size clamps, however i called one of the guys on the building site to try and he managed to get it on ( must have used a bit more elbow grease than me or a longer spanner? :) )

The clamp posted by Tywais is supplied with the copper plated rods and i think they said it wasn't suitable for the solid core one.. not sure why though... although this design seems to be much easier to attach to the rod