Several Questions Regarding Forms, Documents And Sponsorship

Hello,

1) I'm currently in America. I've had a wonderful Thai girlfriend for a couple years now and though there's nothing set, I want to be prepared to marry her document wise. What should I bring with me from America on my next trip to Thailand??

2) If I want to bring her to America, what documents should I have for the visa application?

3) Is it easier to get the visa for her if we're married? Or is it a non issue in their eyes.

4) There was a website devoted to these kind of questions, and it's been referred to me a couple times but I can't find it now. It has all the forms and such in electronic format. Anybody know where I'm talking about? A google search is bringing up only Thai dating sites.

5) Perhaps the most important question, can a friend of mine be a sponsor to her if he doesn't know her? Assuming he's got big bucks? Anybody have a link to the sponsorship form?

Thanks much for the time,

Cheers.

No thanks mate. Just looking for some answers to some basic questions I'm sure some helpful members would be able to provide for me. Otherwise what is the point of this forum. Might as well just have a big ad for "agencies" and nix the forum altogether.

Thanks for tryin' though. Cheers.

Yes sorry i have no experience in US applications but hopefully someone will help you.

Ok, thanks man. I wouldn't mind an agencies help, just not even at that stage yet. Main thing I'm trying to find out is what I need to bring from the States that will make the marriage and visa process easier... Birth certificate? Etc... I had the marriage forms from the US Embassy in Thailand, they had everything listed that was required, but can't locate them now and can't remember exactly everything I needed.

Edited by damian5000

The documents that you need to get married are easy. You need to have proof of ending any previous marriage(s) by divorce or death certificates (both parties). You go the ACS of the embassy in Bangkok and get a notarized form about your eligibility to legally marry. Get the proof of previous marriage(s) translated. Go the Thai ministry office in the Laksi area (Chaeng Wittana Rd.) and get the forms legalized for acceptance. Go to the local city office of your lady with 2 witnesses, a small fee and register your marriage. If you have any other ceremonies (ie family, temple, church, jumping over a broomstick, etc.) they are nice but do not legally marry you until you register at the office,

The visa process is much more involved. The US Embassy website has fairly good information and links for downloadable forms and items that you will need. You need to document and prove the relationship exists with things like letters, phone calls, emails, photos, and anything that proves a long term relationship. It is time consuming, tedious, and detailed. You must follow the instructions carefully. It can be done without using commercial services who charge in excess of $3000 USD. Many documents will need to be translated (from your lady). A good translator service is in Sindhorn Tower 1, second floor. Avoid law office translations. They are expensive (one that I used in Phuket charged B 2000 and took 2 days, and it turned out that he made an error and the document was rejected by the USCIS when I submitted for my wife. The office alluded to above, charged B 300 and took 1 hour).

Get multiple copies of everything, have the originals (do not submit originals unless specificaly told to). Put things in order listed on the embassy website.

You have to be the sponser for the main part. When you get to the affidavit of support, it is sometimes possible to have someone else help guarantee the lady will not become destitiute and need government assistance. See forms I 864--Use the EZ version, if you qualify.

Have fun

Edited by mmcsusnret

To expand a but on my earlier post and address some of your other questions. If you do not live in Thailand for more than 6 months, the forms I-130, G325a for spouse and yourself will need to be filed at the USCIS office having jurisdiction over your place of residence. On the affidavit of support (form 864) you will need finacial information such as latest (or up to the last 3) IRS tax filings, bank statements and a letter about your accounts(s) from the bank(s), proof of a place to live (lease, rental, or mortgage.

You can try a fiance visa, but they are pretty stingent on proof of an ongoing relationship, and it is a one shot trip. You will have a definite ending date to marry or she will have to return. They say "no extensions" for this type of visa. If you marry within the alloted time, she can file for an "adjustment of status" and remain in the US as a CR-1 (conditional resident) until you are married for 2 years at which time you can file for an "adjustment of status" to IR-1 which is the big Kahuna, but incurs more money. It means that the marriage took. My US nephew had to apply 3 times, over a period of 18 months, before his girlfriend got afiance visa.

A tourist visa (b1/b20 can be rather difficult to get depending on the circumstances. The big thing is for her to have something to return to Thailand for such as money in the bank, job, car, or property. Strangely enought they don't consider family very much. Last year, I applied for a tourist visa for my wife to go to the US on my holiday from school. We had been married for about 18 months at the time. We (unwisely) used a visa service in Phuket. When we went for her interview, the consular officer first said no as she had no strong ties to return to. She has 4 children, no job (except taking care of me), a moderate bank account and a motorbike. The visa service did not include that she owns 2 houses and 10 rai of land near Phimai. After telling her no, I asked if my having a job contract for the upcoming school year and would be returning for that, he looked at my passport and my work permit, and then gave her a "restricted" visa good for 3 months and specified where she was allowed to go in the US. The USCIS Border Agent at DFW asked why she had the "resticted visa" status (I explained, then asked if she had ever been arrested (no). He gave her permission to stay for 6 months and said she could go anywhere in the US if she wanted to. We did follow our plans and returned IAW the visa. If you get married on while she is on a tourist visa, she will still have to leave at the end of the permitted to stay date, and they say you cannot do an adustment of status off of a tourist visa.

In any case you must be able to document your relationship with photos, visits, letters, phone and email records to prove that you have a genuine interest in each other. Also, if you are helping her finacially, records of that. Hopefully, her background and past employment is all above board and there is nothing to hide (no slight intended). A long distance relationship is harder to prove, than if you are living together, but don't give up.

The Bangkok Embassy is flooded with many less than honest relationships, and tend to be suspicious of all who apply. So the good people have to prove their goodness even though it may make things difficult for them. If your relationship is for real, it is worth the effort, so don't give up. I think that a person of average intelligence can do the forms by themselves, your lady should be able to get her documents together, so the only thing you need help on is the translations. If she gets all of the Thai documents together and gets them translated in a group you may get a volume discount. Again, use a translation office vice a lawyers office/visa service, if you can.

I am now waiting for my wife's IR-1 immigration visa approval interview (step 4) in the process, having done all of the paperwork myself except of course the translations.

Good luck, which ever route you go!

Oh, and for question #5. The form is an additional form 864 affidavit of support from big bucks. I personally think that additional finacial sponser is a big responsibility to put on someone, as they are signing "a blank check" to the US government, if things go wrong.

Assuming that you have a job and not been laid off, you only have to meet the amount of 125% of the poverty level for income. With no other dependents that is about $19,000 (+/-) for a household of 2. You can also factor in your assets, if you own your home. Link to federal poverty guidelines on embassy website.

Hey man, It can become complex depending on the situation...

If coming to Thailand to marry the advice already given to you is accurate i.e. report to the U.S Embassy to sign the affidavits needed, bringing of course all of your past divorce certificates, money,passport,and then translate the affidavits into Thai and bring them and your wife to be to the local Amphur office and presto you recieve a legal marriage certificate (unless your wife is still married to someone else that she has not yet divorced then you are easily on your way to the next steps, immigrating her to the U.S.)Note: If you choose to not marry her in Thailand but obtain a fiance visa for her to marry you in the U.S. you will probably not save much time and the downfall of that is if you do not have a pretty clean past police record ,especially in regard to drug and alchohal arrests(I think it is 3 drinking arrests and you are out) or if you have any charges of abuse or domestic violence against you, YOU WILL BE DENIED a fiance visa. If you are already married in Thailand and applying for an alien petition for spouse (I-130) much of that is overlooked unless their is a warrent out for your arrest.

I am 3 years into finding out all I needed to know and do to immigrate my wife to the U.S. Our I-130 petition package is now sitting at an immigration office in the U.S. pending the 6 month waiting period that is in effect at this time... [.quote name=damian5000' date='2009-05-09 03:27:26' post='2721479]

Hello,

1) I'm currently in America. I've had a wonderful Thai girlfriend for a couple years now and though there's nothing set, I want to be prepared to marry her document wise. What should I bring with me from America on my next trip to Thailand??

your past divorce certificates

2) If I want to bring her to America, what documents should I have for the visa application?

Either on the internet or at your local USCIS office in the States you can pick up on the instructions for filing the I-130 alien petition form and biographics for you and your wife.I suggest speaking to a lawyer as your circumstances may be different than my own.Are you staying in Thailand or coming back to the States while waiting would be my first question. I hope that you have time enough on your Thai visa anyway to accomplish what has to be done in Thailand.

My wife was missing 1 of her divorce certificates and we had to recover it from Korat Amphur. They were not very co-operative for some time and the cost was not as cheap as one would expect it to be in Thailand.She also was not sure of her birthdate and had different dates on different divorce certificates,so that had to be corrected$$.The biographic forms also speak for themselves, needing to know things like where the parents were born and so on and on...And thenThai are not always big on keeping records of things. My wife had no birth certificate and we had to go through the ropes to get one accomplished.You may have to find answers to your own delemas as the process evolves.

The documents you need if you are married in Thailand are: Marriage certificate, your birth certificate,all divorce certificates of you and your wifes past marriages(legal I presume), I-130 petition form, a G325A biographic form for you and another for the wife,passport size photos -1 of you and 1 of wife according to USCIS specifications.Make sure all Thai documents are translated and certified as to their accuracy and the competency of the translator. :)

3) Is it easier to get the visa for her if we're married? Or is it a non issue in their eyes.

Depends on your circumstances-how is your background check looking? They will screen you both FBI and it is possible after being married that it could be easier. Maybe yes maybe no,lol!

4) There was a website devoted to these kind of questions, and it's been referred to me a couple times but I can't find it now. It has all the forms and such in electronic format. Anybody know where I'm talking about? A google search is bringing up only Thai dating sites.

USCIS-United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.Maybe some info at U.S. Embassy Bangkok!

5) Perhaps the most important question, can a friend of mine be a sponsor to her if he doesn't know her? Assuming he's got big bucks? Anybody have a link to the sponsorship form?

Yes if your income is under 125% poverty for household of 2(about 17,500 yearly income) then a co-sponsor is needed be it friend or family member.

Speaking with immigration lawyers is always a good idea if you have problems and questions.You might get by with a cost in total up near $3000 doing this alone. With a lawyer depending who it is by the end of it all be looking at from $5,000 to $10,000 (including the airfare for your wife to come to America).I am not prying into your income but their are non-profit organizations willing to help for minor fees if your income is very low.

Cheers.

This is all excellent information. Am grateful for all who took the time to reply.

Assuming I don't have any past divorces, do I need to get anything here in America that proves I haven't been married before? It sounds like all I need is my passport (and the signed applications in English and everything translated to Thai...Pictures, phone records, and this sort of thing proving the relationship etc...)...

1) What I'm worried about is - I'm in Thailand and ready to do the deed and oops, I need such and such something from America that is impossible for me to get without returning. 2711 wrote I need a birth certificate. Is a copy of one ok? Or do I need the original... The passport isn't enough?

2) In regards to my background check. It will not look good. Not good at all. Specifically, a couple of felony convictions for possession with intent. Nothing violent and nothing sexual. There hasn't been anything on there in years.. something like 7 years, and it's all in the past... So would it be worse to marry her first in Thailand before trying to bring her back?

3) Can anyone point me towards the non-profits mentioned?

You'd think this would be my American born right...To bring my wife to my country. It is frustrating to look at. I've got a lot of dings against me (work under the table for the last 3 years... and the above mentioned issue (#2) My girlfriend is not from an affluent family... etc..). Is it worth even trying? I've put it off for the last 2 years because it just seems such a dismal a situation.

Thanks again to all who are providing this information..Much appreciated.

Edited by damian5000

I did not need a birth certificate when I got married. It would not hurt to get another one. It doesn't have to be the "original" from the day you were hatched. You can get another issued from the appropriate place where you were born. In Texas, where I am from, it is the Department of Vital Statistics. Did not take long to get (<1hr) and cost $3 or so. Get two their cheap.

With the background you described, if you completed all of the penalties, it should not be a big issue, for her going to the US, as they are more concerned with her background. I would be more concerned about being able to stay in Thailand for a lengthy period of time. In your documentation you should mention it if asked and if possible show proof that you completed your penalty, and the US should not make a big deal about it, unless your on parole or probation at this time.

The only thing that you need to show that you are legally able to get married if you were never divorced, is a notarized document from the US Embassy (you swear that this stuff is true and by the way you will need to make an online appointment for that) then get only that translated and legalized in Laksi Thai Ministry then to the Amphur office of your choice to do it. The other things that are mentioned are for the visa for your spouse to the US (or fiance).

It may no longer be your "American born right" because a convicted felon does lose some rights, sorry but that is how it is. I don't know if the felon convictions (the "s" makes it troublesome) will hurt you but they definintly won't help. The "undocumented income" could come back to haunt you if it is ever mentioned officially. I don't know if tax evasion is a felony or not.

In my experience, it is much better to get her a Fiancee Visa. Ours took one month to get.

I know other people who got married and then went for a visa for their Thai wife and it took nearly a year to get.

Good luck. :)

Hello,

Cheers.