Any Builder Types - Cement Sealant.

Tigs

A quick question to all of you chaps gifted with the skills of house building. Is there any product in Thailand that can be bought to paint or spray onto the cement rendering on the outside of my house to help prevent future damage by water. I am only really concerned about the first one meter or so, the bit that is in constant contact with the water in the earth around the house. I see so many Thai houses with the water stain going up from the bottom about a meter or so. I know that there is a sealant that can be mixed in with the cement. Is it effective, or will four coats of dulux weathershield be enough to keep the effects of the monsoons at bay? Thanks for any advice.

There should be some sort of sealer, that you can put in a hand pump and spray the exterior with it......just don't remember the brand name here.

Most of them comes in either clear or black in color when dried

and

Additionaly and most importantly..... You should have a proper "footing drain system" around the house also.....of course at the footing here

There should be some sort of sealer, that you can put in a hand pump and spray the exterior with it......just don't remember the brand name here.

and

Additionaly and most importantly..... You should have a proper "footing drain system" around the house also.....of course at the footing here

Teacup

Thanks. As for the footing drain system, well lets just say their is nothing on the architects drawings that would indicate that has even been thought of. I assume, crudely speaking that is just a drainage pipe going around the base of the house to take water away from the base of the walls? If so I guess it would be easy enough for me to do or to get someone else to do. I will be on google all afternoon now :)

and

Teacup

Thanks. As for the footing drain system, well lets just say their is nothing on the architects drawings that would indicate that has even been thought of. I assume, crudely speaking that is just a drainage pipe going around the base of the house to take water away from the base of the walls? If so I guess it would be easy enough for me to do or to get someone else to do. I will be on google all afternoon now :)

Perforated pipe (w/ holes) of atleast 4” in diamerter, clean drain rocks/gravel, and filter fabric

The sequence is like this....

-dig a hole at the footing around the house …about 24” wide

- spray waterproof sealer first on the house (stop at least 24" above the soil/earth level)…wait till dry (a few days in hot/dry weather)

- put the filter fabric at the bottom of the hole and up along the house about 6” above the earth

You can glue this or staple to the concrete

- put some drain rock at bottom of the hole(at least 6“), then pipe, then the rest of drain rock

Make sure you have at least 12” of drain rock above the pipe, then cover with soil if you desire,

Or …you can have the cover drain rocks all the way up to the same level as the soil/earth top.

I’m not in the office now, but if you don’t understand what I’m talking about, just google it for the technical drawing, or I can pm the drawing to you tomorrow.

TC

Edited by teacup

and

Teacup

Perforated pipe (w/ holes) of atleast 4" in diamerter, clean drain rocks/gravel, and filter fabric

The sequence is like this....

-dig a hole at the footing around the house …about 24" wide

- spray waterproof sealer first on the house (stop at least 24" above the soil/earth level)…wait till dry (a few days in hot/dry weather)

- put the filter fabric at the bottom of the hole and up along the house about 6" above the earth

You can glue this or staple to the concrete

- put some drain rock at bottom of the hole(at least 6"), then pipe, then the rest of drain rock

Make sure you have at least 12" of drain rock above the pipe, then cover with soil if you desire,

Or …you can have the cover drain rocks all the way up to the same level as the soil/earth top.

I'm not in the office now, but if you don't understand what I'm talking about, just google it for the technical drawing, or I can pm the drawing to you tomorrow.

TC

TC you are a real Gent, Thank You.

Ok…BIGJIMMY…….here is the pix requested

Couldn't find the pix, but here is another version of it.

Just ignore all my wall and rebars drawing....too lazy to erase them.

TC

Edited by teacup