Expansion Contraction Noise On Concrete House

David006

Hi guys ..just reading all queries re cracks and whatnot..here's another one .

We have concrete house on a hill on typical concrete pylons although finished underneath. Ever since we moved in after completion last year may there has been the odd clunk in the evening/night ( not all the time) which sounds like the concrete equivalent of clicking wood frame house in Aus. The roof is steel frame ( concrete tiles) and we have sheet gyproc suspended ceilings throughout. I am not worried as have no cracks anywhere but....

So :

- does anyone else have this noise?

--could it be the plastic water pipes transiting the floors/walls ( wall are that white lightweight brick.. it floats) ?

thanks to any all feedback

david

Actually it's quite normal,...more so in esp for the newly built home

The cracking noises can be from several things…..for examples

- thermal contraction/expansion

temperature changes making different materials shrink or/and expand causing cracking or other noises

-Sometimes, the electricity going into your house can have surges and that will cause a cracking noise

-If it's windy outside, that can cause cracking noises when it hits the outside of the house

-House is settling…..u know the earth is constantly moving and shifting

I wouldn't worry about this too much if the cracking noises are relatively soft, and don't get worse.

And/or… wait until you see some cracks, then deal with it when the time comes.

TC

Thanx Teacup.Actually the noises are like somebody hitting a door jamb with a mallet. I think perhaps it is indeed expansion etc of different materials . I have wooden frames on the doors and windows and along the front of the house is all aluminum sliding glass doors..plus of course the steel in the roof and ceiling.

I am not losing any sleep over it but its good to know its probably to be expected.

thanks again

No problem, anytime

U know the roof system is tied down to the top of house walls, the bottom of the wall is tie down to the floor system, and the floor system is tied down to the foundation.

Everything works as one single matrix. So it’s natural as one moves due to various reasons, then so is the other (in various degree)…...and windows & doors are also part of this shift and change since it's also part of the house walls.

TC

Edited by teacup

We had a spate of the same type of noise when we first moved in 7 or 8 months ago. We're up outside of Udon and it started getting cold not long after we moved. Sometimes a 15 or 20° temperature swing during the day. After not finding anything but 3 or 4 hairline cracks on the sunlit side of the house I figured it was mostly thermal noise or minor settling in and not one side of the house sinking out of sight. We have a pretty well insulated wall and roof system so there can be a definite thermal gradient across the house components. Things gradually quieted down and I only occasionally hear any noise now so I guess the house has gotten comfortable with itself.