International Schools In Pattaya/jomtien Area

solitaire

Hi All,

I'm after your thoughts/recommendations on International Schools within the Pattaya or Jomtien area or within a 15min radius. I've had a bit of a look and have come up with these to look at:

International School of Regents,

International School of Eastern Seaboard

St Andrews International School.

Has anyone had experiences with these schools and can anyone recommend any others to me? My son will be starting in Year 1.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is one more in this region-

Garden International School in Ban Chang

40 minutes away

but then again all the ones you mention are more than 15 minutes away

ISE is American curriculum

Regents, St Andrews and Garden are all British curriculum

for more info you'd be best looking at their websites

there are other conversations on this forum too-

check out the Pattaya forum and the Teaching in Thailand Forum too

Thanks for your reply.

I have already checked out the websites of these schools and done a search of the forum for more information. I was actually after peoples thoughts and experiences on these schools, and any additional information they had.

Thanks.

I have friends with kids in

Regents - One parent thinks it's great and his kid is doing well. Another parent is moving his kid as he doesn't think the standard is good.

St Andrews - I know many parents as my kid is there and although each has some 'issues' with some aspects of the school / teaching all are generally pleased with the shool.

GIS - I know 2 parents that have kids there and have not heard a bad word about it.

Fees for each of them vary so it may also depend on your ability / willingness to pay.

Maybe go to each of the schools at home time and talk to parents that are picking their kids from year 1 to get first hand opinions.

Edit: The Montessori School is opening up a new school from next school year for Year 1 onwards, located near the Crocodile Farm I think.

Edited by PattayaParent

Thanks so much for your responses.

We are definitely going to have a look at all three schools in a couple of weeks time, I guess I just wanted a heads up in terms of opinions from people who have had first hand experience with the schools.

PattayaParent- Is GIS Garden International School?? That is not one currently on my list to look at... maybe that might be another option. As for cost, its not really an issue, I just want to find a school that my son and I will be happy with.

Humphrey Bear - Not sure what RES and BC stand for as we are not currently in Thailand.

We are definitely going to have a look at all three schools in a couple of weeks time, I guess I just wanted a heads up in terms of opinions from people who have had first hand experience with the schools.

PattayaParent- Is GIS Garden International School?? That is not one currently on my list to look at... maybe that might be another option. As for cost, its not really an issue, I just want to find a school that my son and I will be happy with.

Humphrey Bear - Not sure what RES and BC stand for as we are not currently in Thailand.

Yes GIS is Garden International School.

RES is REPS (Rayong English Programme School) which is next door to GIS and is a bilingual school I think(?).

BC is Ban Chang, the town.

I think Humphrey Bear had just returned from a visit to the Hunny Pot when he made his post

Sorry - my typos.

REPS is Rayong English Programme School and shares some facilities with GIS (Garden International - which is it's neighbour and part of the same business group).

BC is Ban Chang - beyond Sattahip and U-Tapao airport - before Rayong when driving from Pattaya.

There is a noticeable price difference between REPS and GIS - don't know why - the teaching and other facilities are quite good.

My daughter is eleven - previously in a local, fee-paying school that taught English as a foreign language and my daughter learnt very little.

Now she is in a school with about 20-30% foreign pupils (Indian and Western) and is taught Maths, Science and other subjects in both lThai and Englih (at different times).

She cannot see any improvement, but I can, after just a couple of weeks attendance.

The drawback is that she has to catch the minibus at 6.00 a.m. and is not back until 5.oo p.m.

But that applies to St Andrews and Regents at least - as all have mini-buses around Soi 17 at these hours.

I think that it's worth paying the higher fees for her better chance at learning some useful skills, but everyone has their opinion.

I would suggest that you also check about 'registration' fees.

When I was building the roof of Su'boom airport I lived in Thana City near the airport and many of the TCIS (Thai Chinese International School) were there - the school teaches in Thai, Chinese and English - and that school has a 100k baht registration fee before you start paying the annual / twice-yearly tuition fees

There are lots of little differences between all the schools - best to make a spread-sheet of all the things you want and all the things the school wants.

(By the way, REPS offers boarding, either weekly or term-wise)

Thanks for all the information. Definitely a lot to think about but I will have more of an idea when I see the schools in a couple of weeks.

For those with children in St Andrews, Is religion part of the curriculum or is non-denominational?

My son is enrolled in regents. We have been pleased with it so far. It's a far better school than he would be attending in america. There is a good mix of nationalities in his class. No complaints at all.

I know people whose children attend regents, st andrews, and ISE. I haven't heard any bad things about any of them. We chose regents based on several recommendations and for location. I didn't want a catholic school and ISE is a bit far out of town.

All these schools have web-sites - all will quickly respond to queries - they all want more fee-paying students.

So you can do a lot of research from the comfort of your armchair in whatever country you are currently in. Then firm up (or totally reverse) your preliminary impressions when you get here. But allow a week at least to get round and study all possibilities.

St Andrews is a 07.30 pick up getting home 16.30 hrs.

I don't believe Religious Education is taught there.It seems to be a quite good school and my eldest enjoys it there,I just wish these schools would realise its not always corporate companies paying and reduce their fees somewhat for parents who pay themselves as I can't see how a school can justify 300 k plus a year fees.

EPG.

I don't believe Religious Education is taught there.It seems to be a quite good school and my eldest enjoys it there,I just wish these schools would realise its not always corporate companies paying and reduce their fees somewhat for parents who pay themselves as I can't see how a school can justify 300 k plus a year fees.

EPG.

Because they pay their teachers well.

Well.... I'll be in Thailand in a week and will check out the schools then! It seems that all three schools are pretty good so I guess we will just have to find the one most suited to our son.

Humphrey Bear - I know all the schools have websites, which I have checked out numerous times, but the information I was after was more peoples experiences with the schools which you cant really get from a website. Yes, as you said they all want more students so they make their websites "PrettY" but I wanted to be more informed before I went for a lookie.

Expatgaz - I think fees are high as it could be they pay their teachers well, but I guess they also know westerners want a western school for their children so will be prepared to pay whatever the cost may be. Most 'top' private schools here in Australia charge around this amount in fees also, but the difference here I guess is we could also choose to send out kids to the local school whereas in Thailand, this would probably be out of the question.

Thanks all for you input and information. Will let you all know what I decide when we get back!

EPG.

REPS is less - budget on around 60k twice a year, plus money for school outings, tai kwan do uniform, other uniforms, so on. Depends on age also.

Garden - it's associate - is more than REPS, but I am not sure of the total.

REPS is bi-lingual in that many subjects are taught in both English and Thai. Teachers are native-speakers (not filipinos, but Euro / Australasian in appearance) Don't know their qualifications. My daughter is happy there and is finally learning a little English, rather than continually reciting the alphabet as she has dne for the past five years.

As I am not home all that much, I cannot help most of the time, and my wife uses Thai (at high volume) when speaking to the kids.

Edited by Humphrey Bear

Be sure to avoid any school that has "Bi-Lingual" in its name.

Why? I have 2 children at Satit in the English program that is in essence Bi Lingual as they do have some Thai lessons, it was a shaky start when the program first started but is now working to a set curiculum and I have two very happy children who speak, read and write Thai and English at a high level for 10 and 11 years old. Cost 54k per term plus transport if needed.

Happy to give more information if required.

Had my son in regents. 2 years primary and 1 and half in secondary.

In my opinion its a waste of money, alot of hype for nothing. to much time spent on sponsored walks, cleaning beaches and trips. Yeah great for the Kids and the Back Packing teachers.......... Not so good for their education.

It used to be clased as international school of the regents but now it regents school..... International got dropped. The headmasters a waste of space.

Even the Newsletter went from a Decent Full Colour Pamphlet to a photocopied letter. Standards have dropped dramatically since the Head mistress left.

Several of my sons friends also left there. My son has gone back to school in uk and it has taken him months to catch up. he has had to have extra studies to lift him to an acceptable level.

In my opinion a waste of money. you would be better sending your kids to burapha BEST. i had my other 2 kids there and they fitted back into uk education very easily and they have learnt thai as well.

It has been said BEST is strict.............. Great hey. Better than being taught by back packers at over £1000 month in the Regents school.

IMHO.

Had my son in regents. 2 years primary and 1 and half in secondary.

In my opinion its a waste of money, alot of hype for nothing. to much time spent on sponsored walks, cleaning beaches and trips. Yeah great for the Kids and the Back Packing teachers.......... Not so good for their education.

It used to be clased as international school of the regents but now it regents school..... International got dropped. The headmasters a waste of space.

Even the Newsletter went from a Decent Full Colour Pamphlet to a photocopied letter. Standards have dropped dramatically since the Head mistress left.

Several of my sons friends also left there. My son has gone back to school in uk and it has taken him months to catch up. he has had to have extra studies to lift him to an acceptable level.

In my opinion a waste of money. you would be better sending your kids to burapha BEST. i had my other 2 kids there and they fitted back into uk education very easily and they have learnt thai as well.

It has been said BEST is strict.............. Great hey. Better than being taught by back packers at over £1000 month in the Regents school.

IMHO.

You have obviously got some issues.

The Regents did not lose "International" status. The name change was because of a legal conflict with another school carrying the same name. 

The Regents obviously has standards as they are members of the CIS, WES, Round Square and are an accredited IB school.

No backpackers at The Regents. All fully qualified, verified, police checked teachers. And the wages are much greater than a grand a month. 

BEST school is "strict" and great??  Are you having a laugh?

Edited by Phatcharanan

Why? I have 2 children at Satit in the English program that is in essence Bi Lingual as they do have some Thai lessons, it was a shaky start when the program first started but is now working to a set curiculum and I have two very happy children who speak, read and write Thai and English at a high level for 10 and 11 years old. Cost 54k per term plus transport if needed.

I will second this, my son also attends Satit, K3. He is very happy and is learning all the time. Up to now I can not fault the school.

I will second this, my son also attends Satit, K3. He is very happy and is learning all the time. Up to now I can not fault the school.

My reply to avoid any school with "Bi-Lingual" in the name was directed only to the OP. The OP has obviously never been to Thailand so I wanted to point out to him that these bi'lingual schools are not international schools although some try to pass themselves off as such. All are on the Thai school calender.

My reply to avoid any school with "Bi-Lingual" in the name was directed only to the OP. The OP has obviously never been to Thailand so I wanted to point out to him that these bi'lingual schools are not international schools although some try to pass themselves off as such. All are on the Thai school calender.

Good advice if the child has no Thai language ability as there will be classes in the Thai language also.

The OP doesn't even say whether the child has a Thai mother which if not so, a bi-lingual school would defintiely not be suitable.

Good point Spaniel and PP, however a few classes in Thai is all the Satit English program gives, I agree 50 / 50 Bi lingual shool would be hard for a child with no Thai language at all.

All these responses are theoretical - how long is the OP intending to stay in Thailand? How old is the child? As above - any Thai language influence at home?

If only a short posting to Thailand (say 2 years) then also consider UK boarding school (depending on age of child) as few of the schools in Thailaand - outside Bangkok - have true Internatuonal status (International Baccalareat or UK/US curricula) most are geared to the Thai qualifications with additional English facility.

There are choices to suit all, but the truly international schools are few and expensive.

And not necessarily good for older kids.

This thread seems to be one of the few that has good information (instead of flaming teachers/headmasters/school owners etc)

so hopefully it'll keep going that way. In light of this a few questions.

BEST (Burapha school)-Most of the bad comments about this school was back in 07/08 but since that time I've heard that it has really picked up (especially in P1 upwards-which is where I'm interested in), so any responses about BEST would be appreciated.

It seems as if the BEST, REPS and SATIT English (ie: bi-lingual) programs are fairly similar in teaching, pricing and amenities, so comments on this wld be more than welcome also. Thanks...