Whats This Button For ..?

I drive a 2 wheel Drive - 2.5 - Auto Gear Box Pickup . on the Auto select gear leaver is a small electric button, with the button pressed in, a small light comes on the dash board saying ...

OD - OFF

What's the correct way to use this option, what's it for , do you ever use it ? :)

Yup, almost certainly overdrive.

Try moving it whilst cruising at 80 kph or so, with it 'on' you should see a fall in engine revs as the box changes up into an 'extra' gear. Result better fuel consumption :D poorer acceleration :)

You can drive around with it 'on' it usually only has an effect in 3rd and 4th anyway.

Yup, almost certainly overdrive.

Try moving it whilst cruising at 80 kph or so, with it 'on' you should see a fall in engine revs as the box changes up into an 'extra' gear. Result better fuel consumption :D poorer acceleration :)

You can drive around with it 'on' it usually only has an effect in 3rd and 4th anyway.

Thanks , So really its a option to save fuel ..? :D

Thanks , So really its a option to save fuel ..? :)

You would normally drive with it ON the majority of the time to use all gears. Mine has it also and it is excellent when driving in the mountains. When going up steep hills, turn it off and your pull goes up considerably (same as down shifting in a manual). Coming down a steep slope also turn it off and engine braking takes place saving on your brake pads.

I used to drive an 4-speed auto 89 camry like a manual car. At stand still turn off the OD (overdrive) button. Push the stick to second (2). Drive it up to close to the redline, the push it into Drive (D). Once it's close to the redline turn the OD on.

Bad way of burning heaps of fuel, LOL.

• 4 weeks later...
I drive a 2 wheel Drive - 2.5 - Auto Gear Box Pickup . on the Auto select gear leaver is a small electric button, with the button pressed in, a small light comes on the dash board saying ...

OD - OFF

What's the correct way to use this option, what's it for , do you ever use it ? :)

OD means o dopey - read the manual .