Bts And Courtesy

xavierr

About two months ago, the female voice telling the names of the stations within the BTS Skytrain (On Nut - Mo Chit line) was changed.

I noticed that in the Thai part of the new recording, when announcing the stations having a connexion the woman's voice does not say "kha" at the end, like the female voice before.

I wonder why was the "kha" removed. Was it deemed too polite, unnecessary, or is it part of a new trend in the Thai language to slowly do away with polite forms?

I will be grateful if someone could give me an informed explanation.

This reminds me of an issue that arose several years ago with respect to the Lotus and BigC chains. Seems that a number of check-out personnel at the registers were not "wai"ing their customers upon presenting the receipts and the change upon completion of the transactions. Customers complained, or more properly, wondered if Thai culture was being compromised. There was also the ever-present chimera that the personnel were paying their respects to Thais, but not to foreigners.

Well, the critiques found their way home and the wais have returned to the checkout counters.

You might wish to make your feelings known to the BTS folks - I bet that you will see a change. The company should be thankful that people actually listen critically to the announcements. Good luck.

I always found the Tesco Lotus wai a bit awkward; it's not customary for other business transactions. My wife has expressed the same thing to me.

I wonder what Lotus would do if I told them I don't like the wai?

(Answer: Shake their heads and mutter, "farangs just don't understand Thai culture." ;P)

I always found the Tesco Lotus wai a bit awkward; it's not customary for other business transactions. My wife has expressed the same thing to me.

I wonder what Lotus would do if I told them I don't like the wai?

(Answer: Shake their heads and mutter, "farangs just don't understand Thai culture." ;P)

I'm a Thai. And I feel awkward too. LOL

Personnally, I don't really mind if an annoucement has not got the words kha or khrup at the end. It just sounds like someone reading an written annoucement, not really a one-to-one conversation.

I don't have a clue, the first reason I could think of would be that it might confuse foreigners, thinking that 'kha' was a part of the name of the station.

But since you say it was in the Thai language part, perhaps it was just an oversight.

It was never close to the name of the station, just at the end of the sentence announcing the connexion"

Before: ....thi sathani mii kha. (end)

Now: ... thi sathani mii. (end)

I never remembered the female's voice in bts saying kha but maybe I don't use it often enough. Anyway I do not think it's neccesary to be polite when announcing something that should sound quite formal.

I also don't like the wai at Tesco lotus. Usually when people wai you you wai them back because you know them or you accept their greetings or getting to know them whatever but to have a complete stranger waiing you to thank you for using their services is a bit awkward yes..I mean what are you supposed to do back nod or something?

But at least I prefer this than in some western countries where customers are to thank the cashiers I mean what's that all about? Interesting that it seems to be the other way around in the western world I notice that farangs say thank you a lot for everything and they seem to appreciate every little thing that Thai people don't even give a * about which is the reason farang customers are favored in all services industry in Thailand while Thai customers are seen to never be satisfied with anything and certainly never say thank you haha. It's like when Thai people often complain about Thai airways services when given the exact same services all you get from farang passengers are praises!! Makes us wonder what kind of terrible lives farangs must have had in their countries that set up such low expectations!! :)

I think a 'wai' at checkout is fairly harmless.

Much better that than have somebody offer some mealy-mouthed insincerity like 'you have a wonderful day now'. And don't let me get onto waiters introducing themselves with 'Hi! I'm Raoul, and I'll be helping you choose your dishes this evening' and 'Enjoy!' when they bring the food... :)

Tesco Lotus is certainly not the only place they "wai" you whilst you are busy trying to receive your change, your goods ,open your purse etc-its everywhere eg restaurants, shops(little and big),service places etc

In my experience it is most certainly customary everywhere.

Can't express an opinion about the BTS "Kah" but yes, Thai hubby said that to use Kah at the end not only shows politeness and respect but it shows you've been bought up "proper".

By the way ,the younger members of my Thai family always, always wai when they go to work /school or come home from work/school to each family member they see. I like it!!!

I never remembered the female's voice in bts saying kha but maybe I don't use it often enough. Anyway I do not think it's neccesary to be polite when announcing something that should sound quite formal.

I also don't like the wai at Tesco lotus. Usually when people wai you you wai them back because you know them or you accept their greetings or getting to know them whatever but to have a complete stranger waiing you to thank you for using their services is a bit awkward yes..I mean what are you supposed to do back nod or something?

But at least I prefer this than in some western countries where customers are to thank the cashiers I mean what's that all about? Interesting that it seems to be the other way around in the western world I notice that farangs say thank you a lot for everything and they seem to appreciate every little thing that Thai people don't even give a * about which is the reason farang customers are favored in all services industry in Thailand while Thai customers are seen to never be satisfied with anything and certainly never say thank you haha. It's like when Thai people often complain about Thai airways services when given the exact same services all you get from farang passengers are praises!! Makes us wonder what kind of terrible lives farangs must have had in their countries that set up such low expectations!! :)

We made away with the open class system some 200-300 years ago in the West which is why we are taught to say thank you. Wouldnt have those workers feeling lower than us. Everyone is equal and all that PC. Regarding Thai Airways, I think they are utter crap and would honestly prefer Air Asia.

Tesco Lotus is certainly not the only place they "wai" you whilst you are busy trying to receive your change, your goods ,open your purse etc-its everywhere eg restaurants, shops(little and big),service places etc

In my experience it is most certainly customary everywhere.

Not the only place, perhaps, but it's in the minority. Simple fact, the wai is not typical for basic business transactions. I'm not sure where you live, so maybe we can chalk it up to that. But today in Bangkok I've had at least 10 transactions of some sort, and none of the sellers was wai-ing me nor any other customer. For Tesco (and other stores that do the same) to do so is a bit of an affectation.

Note that, as discussed, even some native Thais feel the Tesco wai is awkward.

There are many situations where it is customary and appropriate and fine and dandy.

It can also be used to manipulate--beggars intentionally debase themselves with exaggerated wai-ing in attempts to produce a Pavlovian reaction of pity and obligation.

It's important to know when to use it, and when not to. I don't have any strong objection to the Tesco wai, I just think it's a bit awkward, because it would definitely be strange to wai them back.