Marriage In Thailand

I've been contacted for advice and I can't confidently answer the question, so I'll turn to those who may have a better insight than me.

The person concerned holds both British and Thai passports and is looking to marry in Thailand. The question is do they need to swear an affirmation of marriage at the British embassy or can they jump straight to the registration at the amphur? Common sense dictates that they don't need to go through any of the preliminaries but as we know TIT......

Thanks,

Scouse.

The embassy document should only be required when there is no national ID card and home register to present at District Office. If he has these documents it should not be needed but if not he would have to marry as a British national and use his UK passport and embassy document. But as you know not all logic is that logical.

Also you say "they need to swear" so not sure status of wife now - obviously if one is not Thai that party will have to have the embassy paperwork.

I've been contacted for advice and I can't confidently answer the question, so I'll turn to those who may have a better insight than me.

The person concerned holds both British and Thai passports and is looking to marry in Thailand. The question is do they need to swear an affirmation of marriage at the British embassy or can they jump straight to the registration at the amphur? Common sense dictates that they don't need to go through any of the preliminaries but as we know TIT......

Thanks,

Scouse.

Both options are possible. I know of Thais who have a foreign passport who have gone to that embassy to do the stat dec/affirmation and then others who have just used their Thai ID Card.

I can think of one possible problem if using the Thai ID card. If their Thai and British passports are not in the same name and if they use the Thai ID card (which would have the same name as the Thai passport) when registering the marriage at the amphur office it will list the name on the Thai ID card on the marriage certificate. This could cause problems for the person back in the UK if they want to prove that they are married as the marriage certificate will list one name and all the British documentation will list another name. I've met Thais who have a foreign Birth certificate in one name, a foreign passport in another name, and then a Thai ID card in a completely different name, reconciling all 3 would be a nightmare.

If their Thai and British passports are in the same name, then going down the Thai route would seem obviously easier and I can't think of any pitfalls of the top of my head.