Loft Residence Review

fdion

I am thinking of staying 1 month (June) at Chiang Mai and I saw on line this new option called Loft Residence (http://www.loftresidence-chiangmai.com/index.html)

Unfortunately I couldnt find any reviews (maybe its pretty new)

It happens that anyone has something to say about this establishment, location, facilities etc?

Any other options to consider?

Many thanks to all

It's near the Chiang Mai gay / slum area.. Perhaps some of the people who are partial to that area can comment..

Santhitham is a nice area. Close to good schools, shopping, restaurants and plenty of night life. While I am not partial to that area, oh my F..ing God, and do not know about the serviced apartment in question, Chang Puak can hardly be categorized as a gay/slum area.

It looks nice, clean / tidy but can be noisy, it is next to a nightclub and if you're staying in the wrong side of the hotel music / trouble outiside can be quite loud. Some old farang come back drunk with bargirls and have regular arguments / shouting on the landings which echos throughout the building, wheras alot places would simply chuck them out this seem to be tolerated.

I am thinking of staying 1 month (June) at Chiang Mai and I saw on line this new option called Loft Residence (http://www.loftresidence-chiangmai.com/index.html)

Unfortunately I couldnt find any reviews (maybe its pretty new)

It happens that anyone has something to say about this establishment, location, facilities etc?

Any other options to consider?

Many thanks to all

I to am looking for reviews. I have been in contact with the company, which apparently is in Malaysia. There are reviews on their website, but if you look at them they are all dated the same, and the time frame for all is like 2 or 3 minutes apart. That sort of raises a red flag. But in another forum, I did get a response by someone who says he drives by the place all the time and it looks very nice. I does look nice and hopefully more information is forth coming. You might also look at this as an alternative Viangbua Serviced Apartments, stayed there in 2008 and it was nice, at this point if I don't get any information on Loft, I will probably book again at Viangbua.

• 2 months later...

i'm scheduled to move into the loft at the beginning of september.

picked out a room on the 3rd floor away from the nightclub.

looks nice inside. rooms are small, but seem comfortable.

next door to tom's supermarket, less than ten minute walk from muni stadium.

people i spoke with who lived there had no complaints.

i'll post a report next month.

It's near the Chiang Mai gay / slum area.. Perhaps some of the people who are partial to that area can comment..

But perhaps there are members (none come to mind of course) that are looking for a gay/slum environment as their ideal. Actually I didn't know that about Santhithum, is that why Suthep/Nimmenhemin is so popular?

Santhithum has a very negative conotation with many Thai's. Many of the Thai's i know talk about the area as the junkie 5-B whore area.

People on this forum have been saying for a long time that it is cleaning up, but I wouldn't choose to live there myself.

Me and the wife and the cat and dog all stayed in a room for two nights when we first moved up to CM, It was very clean and tidy throughout the whole building staff were excellent. They ordered us some dinner as we were to knackered to go out and brought up to us like in a hotel (I don't think that would be standard practice). It can get noisy like someone else said but not that much that it disturbs you. Very convenient for going into town five minutes if that. I thought it was excellent value for money and can't really fault it.

:):D:D

But perhaps there are members (none come to mind of course) that are looking for a gay/slum environment as their ideal. Actually I didn't know that about Santhithum, is that why Suthep/Nimmenhemin is so popular?

:D look no further....... :D

Well certainly the gay centre of CM these days, maybe 20 or so different gay venues of one sort or another between Huay Kaew, Chang Puek road and the superhighway :)

But the slum tag don't fit no more, rate of redevelopment last few years has been rapid, barely a day goes past without the bulldozers moving in on another old building and a new condo or row of shop houses springs up in its place. The Santitham area has a very large student population and buzzing night life with small bars and restaurants everywhere.

Many of the old places where Thais went for their weekly extramarital enjoyment have gone. The many short time hotels still do good business :D Some fun underground late night places too :D

Hot tip: If you really want to harp back to the old days try the shanty town of Karaoke bars along Chang Puek soi 4 around the tessabaan.......... well what would I know anyway? :D Getting back on topic, this is right around the corner from the Loft Residence so if that's your thing a good place to stay.

To the OP: there was a thread on here a few months back that discussed the Loft and the disavantage of it being right next to Differ - big teenybopper disco open very late. Also discussed several other condos in the area - do a search.

• 4 weeks later...

and here's the report.

nice location. 90 second walk to tops supermarket. 8.5 minutes to municipal stadium. 10.5 minute walk to the moat. close to veggie market, plenty of local fast-food joints nearby.

i wouldn't call the area a slum; it's just not middle-class suburbia. haven't noticed any gay bars in the area, but then not lookin'.

great building, rooms small but in excellent condition. furniture is new and of standard ikea quality. all rooms standard with ac, tv, water heater, tiny fridge, balcony.

first two floors are daily rentals, upper three are monthly. studios only, no one-bedroom apartments.

rooms cost 4000/month with 5000 deposit, 300 for slowish internet, 200 for water, electricity 8/unit. visa accepted with 3% service fee.

staff are courteous and helpful. had a repairman over in less than five hours when the doorknob fell off as i left my room.

it's nice and quiet...inside the building....during the day. no arguments, loud music, drunk farang....

nighttime is another matter altogether. i knew about the nightclub at the south side of the building, so made a point of getting a room at the opposite end. nice view of the mountain from

the balcony. from my window i can see what looks to be an old metal shed; some type of metal-working business with a pile of scrap metal and wood piled at the rear. or so i thought.

so nice receptionist says, yes, this is the quiet end. no noise here. music on the south side from the bar.

of course she wouldn't know. she works days. the old shed is actually a pretty lively nightspot. weekday hours 11pm-ish to 2am-ish. didn't bother me too much, as i was up late

surfing or watching tv with aircon running. last night though, several hundred enjoying the load throbbing music until 5:30 am. from 5:30-6:00 enjoyed the soothing roar of a couple

hundred scooters firing up.

had checked the area several times at various times for noise levels. of course, i never thought of checking at 4am.

anyways, i'll be moving out soon. notified the front desk this morning, and no problem. they even promised to return the deposit, which according to the contract they'll

only return if you stay three months or more.

I am presently staying in Loft Residence! It is definitely value for money. However I am paying 5000 baht for a month stay (another 5000 baht for deposit).

Regarding the room: Excellent, it is clean and tidy. The fridge, the air-con, the tv, hot water heater, the phone give no problem. And I got a Doi Suthep (?) mountain view from my balcony. Wonderful internet access, though not as fast as desired.

Regarding the location: TOP supermarket is just 10 minute walk from the hotel. And you can get your Bangkok Post or The Nation there. And Thanin market is just 15 minute walk from hotel too. Thanin market has become my favorite haunt for food and fruits. I had just bought a large pack of salad (vege, nuts, fruits ...) and it was only 45 baht. That salad probably can last me for 2 days. And a pretty young lady selling yummy chicken rice at the market too. I had messaged my friend and told her that I have never seen such a young pretty lady selling chicken rice in Singapore or Malaysia. In Singapore, only old aunties selling chicken rice. There are some pubs, internet cafe, massage centres nearby. And there are couple of laundry shops, handphone shops nearby.

I have walked from Chang Puek to the Shopping Mall at Kad Suan Keow. If not for the walkways parking with cars, motorbikes and other stuffs, the walk would be wonderful. Rather in CM, I believe there is no such thing as pedestrian walkways.

Rather I feel that there are not many Westerners at this part of the neighbourhoods. If you are looking for clubbings and pubs, I advise you to head for hotels in Nimman Rd.

Regarding the noise: Pretty quiet, occassionally you can here dogs bark. However last night the whole neighbourhood was blasted with some Thai musics via some loud hailers. It seems the neighbourhood has installed loud hailers at several parts of the neighbourhood. The dins lasted for 1 hour. Hopefully they won't play the music again tonight.

Regarding the Nightclub (next Top Supermarket): Fortunately they are still undergoing renovation. To be opened in November however.

OK now the minus:

a. You need a pair of stong legs to walk the steps. All monthly units are located on level 4 and above. (level 1 the reception, level 2 and level 3 reserved for daily rate customer).

And here the advise:

I booked for 2 nights stay (450x2 Baht) via the internet prior coming to CM. I liked CM and had decided to extend my stay till a month. Unfortunately the manager refused to return my 900 Baht for the 2 nights stay. Hope you won't make the mistake.

Hope to meet you here in Loft Residences.

The Loft Residences owe me for having me writing such a good review on them. And perhaps please quote my name when you place your reservation with Residences. Perhaps they will refund me the 900 Baht.

Enjoy your stay in Chiang Mai. :)

should have added: monthly is 5000 baht, 4000 for 3+ months, book for one year, pay 11 months.

top supermarket is one minute walk if you go through the back gate, opens into their parking lot.

last nights loud music is from the party place between loft and tops. the renovation seems to be a playhouse. they were holding auditions for magic and dance acts this afternoon.

and yes, new loudspeakers have been installed. i assume they're new, didn't hear them the first few days here.

last nights loud music is from the party place between loft and tops. the renovation seems to be a playhouse. they were holding auditions for magic and dance acts this afternoon.

The Playhouse is opening in the Old Simon Cabaret show location. A couple of friends who worked at Simon have already been for interviews. Not sure exactly what the show will entail - all the publicity I've seen was in a fancy Thai script beyond my reading ability :) But sounds like it will have some camp dance stuff like Simon.

The "party place" is (or was unless something changed very recently), called Differ - a large Thai style disco behind the old Simon. Popular with young Thai kids and open until 5 or 6 a.m.

bit of loudness in the hallway today. one of our residents was concerned about his utility bill. it seems his single room has

been charged a monthly electric bill of over 2000 baht. sound excessive? maybe the meters are, um, broken. these are

electronic meters, read by the computer at the front desk. checked with front desk for a comparison, in five days i've

used 38 kw, @8/kwH that's running about 60 baht/day, or around 1800 baht/month.

checking with a few other residents, average monthly charges for rooms with ac, fridge, tv, elec h2o htr are averaging

around 1500/month.

bit of loudness in the hallway today. one of our residents was concerned about his utility bill. it seems his single room has

been charged a monthly electric bill of over 2000 baht. sound excessive? maybe the meters are, um, broken. these are

electronic meters, read by the computer at the front desk. checked with front desk for a comparison, in five days i've

checking with a few other residents, average monthly charges for rooms with ac, fridge, tv, elec h2o htr are averaging

around 1500/month.

"Baht 2K ++ sound excessive for a single room ?"

I would say so. I pay less than that for a two bedroom, two bathroom, large lounge condo with washing machine in daily use.

But if it's a rip off you gotta remember TIT

• 2 weeks later...

moved out of the loft yesterday after two sleepless weeks. found a nice condo south of the city and am much more cofortalblerly.

final thoughts on the loft....it's not bad. staff are very helpful and courteous.

good value, if you can handle the noise.

upon leaving, management returned my deposit as well as half month's prepaid rent. only charged half month's water.

local phone calls are charged at 30 baht, i learned.

and my 'lectric bill was just over 800 baht for two weeks in a 24 sq.m. room. i was told that the loft is owned by a malaysian company that

owns four other properties in the area. they buy existing apartment blocks, rather than building their own. i assume the electric meters

were installed and, ummmmm, 'calibrated', by the original owner.

i suppose i could have argued for several hours concerning the electric charge, but felt it not worth my time.

one of our residents was concerned about his utility bill. it seems his single room has

around 1500/month.

I would say so. I pay less than that for a two bedroom, two bathroom, large lounge condo with washing machine in daily use.

I have a two bedroom wooden house and my electric bill averages about 600 baht per month. All the usual mod cons but no air con. Fans of course.

it's not the 8 baht rate. that was in the contract. monthly places all charge 6-8 per unit. i can live with that.

it was that the meter seems to run awfully fast. given the few appliances in the room, all new energy-saving

models, there's no way -- even running 24 hours -- to burn through that much 'lectricity. it's like the

fancy electronic meters are set to register 3 units for every unit consumed. just a calibration problem.

i brought it to their attention, and i'm sure it'll be corrected immediately.

new place is twice as large, very quiet, paying guv'mint rate.

I have peaceful nights in Loft Residence, probably my room faces away the pubs ..., and I still staying in LR. Other than the electricity bill, I have little complaints. I have checked my power bills once the over-charged in power bills came to my notice. And I had clocked 927 bahts after 2 weeks stay here.

I won't extend my stay here once my 1 month stay here ended. And I won't consider Loft Residence again in my next visit to CM.

I shall update all what my power bills will be at the end of my stay.

Edited by supergoondu

I had just checked out from Loft Residence after a month stay and the power bill is 1525 B. And my total bill for a month there is: 5000 (a month rental) + 1525(power bill) + 500(final room cleanup) + 200(water bill) = 7225B

If not for the power bill, I would recommend LR to others.

PS: I had tried very hard to cut down my air-con usage, probably less than 2.5h per day during the last 2 weeks.

• 1 month later...

Im staying here with my wife and daughter and its a fantastic place. 2 minute walk to Tops Supermarket and laundry facilities nearby and also on site if you like. Very nice staff and very quiet. No elevator so be prepared to walk up to whatever floor you are. Been here for a month and will stay two more until our house is built. Thinking of keeping this place for friends that come and visit as its only 4000 plus electric and 300 for wifi which is also very good.

Cheers