Prices

cmjantje

One week ago the price of a box of Chiang was 390 baht. Today it is 450 baht, tomorrow it will be 510m baht.

100 Pipers: One week ago 330 a bottle, today 390, tomorrow 440.

Also cigarettes and gasoline willgo up by tomorrow.

My source tells me all due to government procedures (read higher taxes)

I mean, this has also effect for Thai. Their income did not and will not raise.

How far can they go?

i thought the tax rises were a couple of % not 20-30% where do the prices come from. if it is government then if thailand behaves like all other governments it probably never will. even if it ruins the economy and tourism. Thai people know it is for their own good smoking drinking and driving leads to death

Here in Canada we call them "sin" taxes in that alcohol and tobacco are considered bad for you and a sin if you use them. The government figures if they raise the taxes enough then people will stop using them. That has some validation for cigarettes, but not for alcoholic beverages. Of course the government doesn't REALLY want to stop people sinning. They just want a cut of the profits.

Here in Canada we call them "sin" taxes in that alcohol and tobacco are considered bad for you and a sin if you use them. The government figures if they raise the taxes enough then people will stop using them. That has some validation for cigarettes, but not for alcoholic beverages. Of course the government doesn't REALLY want to stop people sinning. They just want a cut of the profits.

If they want people to stop they should raise at least 500%, all the other raises are, what you tell already, a cut of the profit.

One week ago the price of a box of Chiang was 390 baht. Today it is 450 baht, tomorrow it will be 510m baht.

How far can they go?

thailand is following that massively successful western economic model. keep raising prices, no inflationary pay rises, expect everyone to live on credit. lovely.

How far can they go?

thailand is following that massively successful western economic model. keep raising prices, no inflationary pay rises, expect everyone to live on credit. lovely.

You mean the American economical model which started the crisis?

I mean, America lives on credit, still does because they never learn, it is almost impossible in the rest of the world.

How far can they go?

I mean, America lives on credit, still does because they never learn, it is almost impossible in the rest of the world.

have you been to europe lately? they're having a good stab at it.

You can never go wrong blaming everything on America,

is this an extension of 'when america sneezes, the whole world catches cold'? not a bad rule of thumb if so.

How far can they go?

Not that I'm not sympathetic, but I'm living in Singapore and just paid the equivalent of 4800 Baht for 24 500ml bottles of British ale. Sounds like the Thais still need to raise their sin taxes a bit more if they hope to catch up with their neighbors.

Edited by OriginalPoster

You can never go wrong blaming everything on America, even if it is pretty much the whole world's

fault. :)

If I am right, It is in America where they invented the sh*t mortgages and because of these mortgages people could not pay back anymore. This was the start for the crisis.

They sold these mortgges to the rest of the world, with Insurance!! and now even the insurance companies In America cannot pay back the losses. So who is responsible at the root?

But again I can be wrong. Maybe I am thinking too simple.

Edited by cmjantje

Your beer prices rising in Thailand has very little to do with the credit & spending practices of Americans, even though it might be politically correct to believe so.

Your beer prices rising in Thailand has very little to do with the credit & spending practices of Americans, even though it might be politically correct to believe so.

i don't think it's got anything to do with political correctness. that's not what PC is.

Correct!

As usual also this thread is becoming of topic.

i don't think it's got anything to do with political correctness. that's not what PC is.

I'd have to disagree with that, amongst Europeans anti-Americanism is the essence of political correctness. If you want to establish that you are an enlightened thinker all that you have to do is denounce Americans in the most crass terms possible. Even a thread about beer and cigarette taxes in Thailand, it seems, is an excuse to express contempt for Americans. Goddamn Americans, if you didn't ruin the world I'd be able to get drunk for half the price.

Edited by OriginalPoster

I'd have to disagree with that, amongst Europeans anti-Americanism is the essence of political correctness. If you want to establish that you are an enlightened thinker all that you have to do is denounce Americans in the most crass terms possible. Even a thread about beer and cigarette taxes in Thailand, it seems, is an excuse to express contempt for Americans. Goddamn Americans, if you didn't ruin the world I'd be able to get drunk for half the price.

i agree with your point, i was just saying that it's got nothing to do with political correctness. PC relates to the defence of a minority's rights, but it has mistakenly become a pejorative term misused by the media.

you're talking about outright xenophobia.

But again I can be wrong. Maybe I am thinking too simple.

America was the first place to notice the problem, but that does not mean that they were responsible for it. There is plenty of blame to go around. :D

America was the first place where they invented these mortgages. They sold them all over the world and are therefore responsible!

So of course, being the source of the problem you notice at first.

But again :)

i agree with your point, i was just saying that it's got nothing to do with political correctness. PC relates to the defence of a minority's rights, but it has mistakenly become a pejorative term misused by the media.

you're talking about outright xenophobia.

Fair enough, guess that I was confusing PC with a herd mentality toward politics.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Political correctness From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Political correctness (adjectivally, politically correct; both forms commonly abbreviated to PC) is a term applied to language, ideas, policies, or behavior seen by some as seeking to minimize offense to gender, racial, cultural, disabled, aged or other identity groups. Conversely, the term "politically incorrect" is used to refer to language or ideas that may cause offense or that are unconstrained by orthodoxy.

Ruth Perry traces the term back to Mao Zedong's Little Red Book. According to Perry, the term was later adopted by the radical Left in the 1960s, initially seriously and later ironically, as a self-criticism of dogmatic attitudes. In the 1990s, because of the term's association with radical politics and communist censorship, it was used by the political Right in the United States to try to discredit the Old and New Left.[1]

The term itself and its usage are controversial. The term "political correctness" is used almost exclusively in a pejorative sense,[2][1] while "politically incorrect" is commonly used as an implicitly positive self-description, as in the series of "Politically Incorrect Guides", produced by conservative publisher Regnery[3] and the former talk show Politically Incorrect.

Some commentators[2][4][5][6][7] have argued that the term "political correctness" is a straw man used by conservatives in the 1990s in order to challenge leftist social change, especially with respect to issues of race, religion and gender.

Criticism

General

Critics argue that political correctness is censorship and endangers free speech by limiting what is considered acceptable public discourse, especially in university and the political forums. University of Pennsylvania professor Alan Charles Kors and lawyer Harvey A. Silverglate, connect political correctness to Marxist philosopher Herbert Marcuse, particularly his claim that liberal ideas of free speech were, in fact, repressive, viewing this "Marcusean logic" as the base of speech codes formulated in American universities.[31] Kors and Silverglate went on to create the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, which campaigns against such speech codes.

Other critics say that politically correct terms are awkward euphemisms for truer, original, stark language, comparing them to George Orwell's Newspeak.[32] Some critics of PC use the terms "PC brigade" or the "diversity dictators".[citation needed] Another term used in both a serious criticism and jokingly manner is the "PC Police".

Camille Paglia, a self-described "libertarian Democrat," argues that political correctness gives more power to the Left's enemies and alienates the masses against feminism.[33]

Some critics of political correctness claim that it marginalizes certain words, phrases, actions or attitudes through the instrumentation of public disesteem.[34][35]

Some critics of political correctness argue that it is a form of coercion rooted in the assumption that in a political context, power refers to the dominion of some men over others, or the human control of human life; by this argument, ultimately, it means force or compulsion.[36] This argument holds that correctness in this context is subjective, and corresponds to the sponsored view of the government, minority, or special interest group that these conservative critics oppose. They claim that by silencing contradiction, their opponents entrench their views as orthodox, and eventually cause it to be accepted as true, as freedom of thought requires the ability to choose between more than one viewpoint.[37][38] Some conservatives refer to political correctness as "The Scourge of Our Times."[39]

In a different example, NRK, the largest broadcasting company in Norway, decided to alter the children's story of Pippi Longstocking to be "less excluding"[40]. In the original stories, the main character's father is nigh permanently absent, this is explained as being due to his being a negerkonge - negro king - on a tropical island. The NRK version has him being a sydhavskonge, roughly translated "southern sea king", instead[41]. A second NRK-production was also altered to remove the word neger [42], which is one of several hotly debated[43][44] episodes in Norway[45] [46] where the use of certain words has been deemed inappropriate or racist, and subsequently reduced, criticized, or even outlawed[47].

Critics of political correctness have been accused of showing the same sensitivity to choice of words they claim to be opposing, and of perceiving a political agenda where none exists.[48] For example, a number of news outlets claimed that a school altered the nursery rhyme "Baa Baa Black Sheep" to read "Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep."[49] In fact, the nursery, run by Parents and Children Together (PACT), simply had the kids "turn the song into an action rhyme. ... They sing happy, sad, bouncing, hopping, pink, blue, black and white sheep etc."[50] The spurious claim about the nursery rhyme was widely circulated and later amplified into a suggestion that similar bans applied to the terms "black coffee" and "blackboard."[51] According to Private Eye magazine, similar stories, all without factual basis, have run in the British press since first appearing in The Sun in 1986.[48]

Off topic, but interesting.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Most of us are probably aware of the increased tax or excise on alcohol and ciggies but what I would like to know from the many bar owners and customers of the myriad of bars in this fine city is how the government sponsored tax or excise increases will, or have already started to, affect the average punter in his/her pocket?

Maybe some of you could give examples of before and after/soon to be prices of your most popular tipples?

Many thanks in advance.

Hill16