Home Birth In Chiang Mai

happycanuck

Hello out there,

My husband and I just found out we're expecting a baby :D My sister is a licensed and practising midwife in Canada. We would like my sister and another midwife to come to Thailand and deliver our baby at home. In Canada, this is quite common but the midwife is also given hospital privileges so if there is an emergency, the patient is admitted to the hospital for a C-Section.

We would like to know if anyone knows of a doctor in Chiang Mai that might be supportive of this birth plan - allowing us to have a home natural birth and be willing to wait on stand-by at the hospital (or by her pager/mobile) in case there needs to be an emergency C-Section?

Or, if anyone knows of a doctor in Chiang Mai who is generally supportive of a natural active birth (no epidural, no episiotemies, NO C-Section) - that would be very useful as well.

We read a very useful post from someone who tried a natural birth after a C-section in Chiang Mai - they were positive about their experience with the doctor. Is it possible to get that doctor's name?

Hi,

First of all, congratulations!

I am 9 week pregnant. Expected date is 20 Dec :)

I am very interested in natural birth, particularly water birth. I only started looking for information about all these options in Chiang Mai. I've been going to see an obstetrician, Dr Saipin, at Sripat Center, Suandok Hospital. She is pretty conventional, and does not seem like she is happy about answering my questions about natural birth, options, etc. She advocated the use of medication to assist the birth. So my husband and I want to change a doctor.

Apparently the only obstetrician in CM who specializes in 'natural birth' (but not water birth) is called Dr Supreeya. She works at Sripat Center, but only sees patients at Kullapat Clinic.

Can i have your email address? I am interested in water birth, so maybe the only option in CM is home birth.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Ladies,

Congratulations to you both!!! I am from Australia and I am a qualified Child Birth Doula living here in Chiang Mai. I have experience here with the hospital systems and various doctors, and I have also been present at many wonderful, natural births including an unassisted birth at a clients home. She had a beautiful water birth with no medical assistance. There are some things you need to know if you will do this at home. Please contact me as I can answer all your questions both on the legal side (with birth certificates etc) and how the medical profession view homebirth here in Chiang Mai. Please feel free to get in touch, as I have some very valuable information to share.

Kind regards,

Thailanddoula

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It's been a few months since your original post, but I just read it and am wondering about your progress in arranging a natural birth in Chiang Mai. Have you had success? Were you able to plan for a homebirth? Have you found a midwife to assist you?

I am very interested in this topic!

Hi,

First of all, congratulations!

I am 9 week pregnant. Expected date is 20 Dec :)

I am very interested in natural birth, particularly water birth. I only started looking for information about all these options in Chiang Mai. I've been going to see an obstetrician, Dr Saipin, at Sripat Center, Suandok Hospital. She is pretty conventional, and does not seem like she is happy about answering my questions about natural birth, options, etc. She advocated the use of medication to assist the birth. So my husband and I want to change a doctor.

Apparently the only obstetrician in CM who specializes in 'natural birth' (but not water birth) is called Dr Supreeya. She works at Sripat Center, but only sees patients at Kullapat Clinic.

Can i have your email address? I am interested in water birth, so maybe the only option in CM is home birth.

• 1 year later...

[i wanted to let everyone know that while Dr. Supreeya is wonderful with natural birth, because of admin duties at the university, she is not taking new patients. Dr. Supachai at Chiang Mai Ram is good with allowing the mom to make her own birth choices, as natural as possible in a hospital setting. Hope that helps!

• 11 months later...

Hello there Thailanddoula, I am happy to read your post as I just found out that I am pregnant! If possible I would like to meet you and find out more about natural birthing options here in Chiang Mai.

Thank you....

Dear Ladies,

Congratulations to you both!!! I am from Australia and I am a qualified Child Birth Doula living here in Chiang Mai. I have experience here with the hospital systems and various doctors, and I have also been present at many wonderful, natural births including an unassisted birth at a clients home. She had a beautiful water birth with no medical assistance. There are some things you need to know if you will do this at home. Please contact me as I can answer all your questions both on the legal side (with birth certificates etc) and how the medical profession view homebirth here in Chiang Mai. Please feel free to get in touch, as I have some very valuable information to share.

Kind regards,

Thailanddoula

Hello there Thailanddoula, I am happy to read your post as I just found out that I am pregnant! If possible I would like to meet you and find out more about natural birthing options here in Chiang Mai.

Thank you....

She has not logged on to this site in many months so may not see this message.

I suggest you go to her member page and use it to email her. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/user/57897-thailanddoula/