Nikon D40

MKAsok

My first post in this forum, so hello to everyone. I'm after a D40, body only. Any thoughts on the best place to buy in Bangkok? Any ideas on what I should be expecting to pay (approximately)? Is it best to buy here or mail order? I can get a factory refurb from Adorama for $375 US (I'm fine with refurbs, I've bought 2 from there in the past), but I don't really want/need the lens it comes with. Thanks in advance anyone for any advice...

I bought my 40d at Photofile in mbk, of course if you have any chance to go to hong kong should be more convenient to buy there, but for sure I will not suggest you to buy from oversea and delivered by post, taxes from customs may make you loose the good deal you paid for the item.

^Thanks for that. Yeah, I was thinking MBK would be the obvious choice. I was just interested in any specific recommendations anyone might have there (or anywhere else) to save me having to schlep round the whole place. As far as mail order goes, I usually get stuff marked as a 'gift' with a small declared value and I've never paid more than around 300 bht to the DHL guy on anything. This has included some fairly expensive lenses. Maybe I've just been lucky. Did you just buy the body, or did it come with a lens? What did you pay?

The shop name in mbk is Photofile, is on the 2nd or 3rd floor, and there is another shop (I don't know the name of this shop, i guess is thai name) on the ground floor. Both are quite famous there, just ask to any shop around on the same floor and they should direct you to the right way.

I never ordered from oversea and delivery here in thailand, so I don't know how exactly how it works here, but I had a terrible experience with dhl sending some souvenir and gifts to my brother in europe.

I bought body and lens (17/85mm) I can't remember the exact price but was i the range of 38000 / 42000 (in august 2008), not sure about the exact price because I bought also other stuffs. Now I guess should be cheaper.

p.s.: My camera is Canon 40d, not the Nikon d40, for the nikon I don't know the prices.

Edited by aeon

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the tips. I'll check those places out. If anyone else has any favorites, anywhere in Bangkok, please feel free to add your comments.

Pantip and Fortune Mall are both cheaper than Fotofile and Nikon stores.