Reverse Osmosis Water Machines

does any one operate one of the machines at home for the neighborhood

what do they cost to purchase ?

what sort of running costs are involved ?

how many litres need to go through them to recoup investment etc ?

I go to a local one with a couple of 5 litre bottles for water for my coffee machine , but was wondering if it is worth it just to put one at the front of the house in the moobarn.

my local one has been out of action for the last week , which has made me think of this question.

I have also notice more and more Thais using the machine.

anyone with experience on operating these types of machines - with correct filter replacement and servicing costs etc - I would appreciate any input

I go to a local one with a couple of 5 litre bottles for water for my coffee machine , but was wondering if it is worth it just to put one at the front of the house in the moobarn.

my local one has been out of action for the last week , which has made me think of this question.

anyone with experience on operating these types of machines - with correct filter replacement and servicing costs etc - I would appreciate any input

Home Pro is like 10k baht for a small capaity one, to be installed in kitchen for drinking water.

There is one in front of my apartment building. I used it thinking the water was clean but I might as well have been scooping out of the sewer and subsequently got a severe throat infection. I have since taken to boiling all my water and no more problems. I think these machines probably require some type of periodic maintenance that the purchasers fail to do.

Home Pro is like 10k baht for a small capaity one, to be installed in kitchen for drinking water.

Why not go for an atmospheric water generator? They take water straight out of the air, in a similar way to air-con. Cost is around 45,000B.

Ecoloblue are a US company:

http://www.ecoloblue.com/

There is also a company in Malaysia that sells a similar machine.

I've used an RO machine for many years now. The last one I bought from Home Pro for 10K. The RO filter needs to be changed every 2 years and the carbon and sediment filters about every 6 months. That's based on drinking water for an average household. Easy to install and plumb in under the kitchen sink. They're brilliant.

The machines cost about 30K to buy depending on the capacity. Replacement filters are about 5K. Then there is the UV lamp.

If there are enough people using it it is a viable business concern. I looked at one in the Pattaya area. The company I spoke to would not put one in on a profit share basis as they did not think there were enough people that would use it, so i did not go ahead. If you have a related business it could be a good draw card.

Why not go for an atmospheric water generator? They take water straight out of the air, in a similar way to air-con. Cost is around 45,000B.

I once met a Spanish/Australian guy who flogged these.

"It makes water...out of air mate"

Basically, would you drink the water out of air-con system? I don't think so :)

RAZZ

I once met a Spanish/Australian guy who flogged these.

"It makes water...out of air mate" :D

Basically, would you drink the water out of air-con system? I don't think so :)

RAZZ

The same physics are involved that's all, it isn't actually an aircon.

To put it another way it is a similar process to when you have a cold glass of water on a hot day - there will be a concentration of water on the glass. The water generator uses the same principle to extract the water. It then goes through filters, a reverse osmosis system and finally it is UV treated. The result is chemical free water that will be cleaner than filtered only water.

There is one in front of my apartment building. I used it thinking the water was clean but I might as well have been scooping out of the sewer and subsequently got a severe throat infection. I have since taken to boiling all my water and no more problems. I think these machines probably require some type of periodic maintenance that the purchasers fail to do.

absolutely 100% wrong, they are designed NOT to work when the filter is full or blocked, the older the filter is the more water is discarded, only pure water emerges, if the filters are blocked /contaminated no water will be supplied.Eventually when the filters get completey blocked no clean water will be supllied ,and all the water will be wasted. If you are getting water from R/O it is 100% pure, you must of got your sore throat from some were else :):D:D

Edited by micky44

To put it another way it is a similar process to when you have a cold glass of water on a hot day - there will be a concentration of water on the glass. The water generator uses the same principle to extract the water. It then goes through filters, a reverse osmosis system and finally it is UV treated. The result is chemical free water that will be cleaner than filtered only water.

I know how they work :)

I just don't believe a small office type machine will clean all the gunk out of the Bangkok air!

RAZZ

I know how they work :)

I just don't believe a small office type machine will clean all the gunk out of the Bangkok air!

RAZZ

obviously you do not know how they work, if water is being dispensed ,it is pure, end of argument, the amount that is being by passed and discarded is another thing.

We have one but i'm worry about use this machine... so we don't use it. Is not too expensive to buy water in bottles... we spend something like 2 000 B per month in water for 4 peoples. We also make food with mineral water, so it's a little bit expensive to make spaghettis...

absolutely 100% wrong, they are designed NOT to work when the filter is full or blocked, the older the filter is the more water is discarded, only pure water emerges, if the filters are blocked /contaminated no water will be supplied.Eventually when the filters get completey blocked no clean water will be supllied ,and all the water will be wasted. If you are getting water from R/O it is 100% pure, you must of got your sore throat from some were else :):D:D

I know 100% that I got the sore throat from this machine because it happened to me twice while drinking from the machine. The sore throats and ulcers that went with them went away as soon as I started boiling the water.

However you may be right about how they are designed to work. I noticed the machine in front of my building has been gutted and refashioned with new parts several times. It probably just says reverse Osmosis on the front but in actuality is just pumping out tap water. Remember TiT

• 2 months later...

I know 100% that I got the sore throat from this machine because it happened to me twice while drinking from the machine. The sore throats and ulcers that went with them went away as soon as I started boiling the water.

However you may be right about how they are designed to work. I noticed the machine in front of my building has been gutted and refashioned with new parts several times. It probably just says reverse Osmosis on the front but in actuality is just pumping out tap water. Remember TiT

How much water pressure do these things require? The water supply I would use can be stopped by putting my finger over the tap. Does Home Pro sell a booster pump for this purpose?

Thanks for the useful information.

How much water pressure do these things require? The water supply I would use can be stopped by putting my finger over the tap. Does Home Pro sell a booster pump for this purpose?

Normally RO requires high pressure (between 2 and 17 kg/sqcm for fresh/brackish) which is higher then what most citywater supplies deliver.

Hence most proper RO machines have a high pressure pump built in.

Which means as long as there is a bit of flow you should be alright...

We have one but i'm worry about use this machine... so we don't use it. Is not too expensive to buy water in bottles... we spend something like 2 000 B per month in water for 4 peoples. We also make food with mineral water, so it's a little bit expensive to make spaghettis...

jeeze, you must shower in drinking water.

I buy 15 litres of drinking water for 10 Baht. 2,000 Baht (around half my monthly beer bill), would buy me 3,000 litres. That makes 100 lites/day for four people, or 25 litres/day/person.

The people touting the machines that take the water out of the air would be well advised to Google the subject and go from there. That water is NOT clean and sanitary. Reverse osmosis filters, at least for commercial units are pretty much self cleaning. They use maybe a one inch inlet and a half inch outlet with a good pump. Very little water goes through the membrane to the storage tank. Most is down the drain. For home use, the triple filter units, as in coarse filter, activated charcoal filter and finally a ceramic filer with a UV light will give safe clean water.

Edited by Gary A

My first year in Thailand I refused to drink anything other than bottled water. I wouldn't even brush my teeth with tap water, but I'd just spent 14 months in Bangladesh, so that was the reason for my reluctance... :)

Five years on, I've drunk water from the reverse osmosis machines with no problems. If I'm in a large city with treated water, I sometimes use boiled water for my coffee, again with no problems.

Normally RO requires high pressure (between 2 and 17 kg/sqcm for fresh/brackish) which is higher then what most citywater supplies deliver.

Thank you.

Sorry I am a bit new to this.

What is the problem with tap water in Thailand?

I have been drinking it for a year now and no problems. In my previous place I did not drink it because it had a bit of a bad smell sometimes and I could see the contamination it caused from the standing water in the toilet. The place I stay now is new and I do not see any of the contamination in the standing water or having a bad smell.

Is the quality of the tap water transported to our homes affected by the pipes it goes through?

How to test the quality of the water from your tap?

Thanks!

:)

Sorry I am a bit new to this.

What is the problem with tap water in Thailand? I have been drinking it for a year now and no problems.

In my previous place I did not drink it because it had a bit of a bad smell sometimes and I could see the contamination it caused from the standing water in the toilet. The place I stay now is new and I do not see any of the contamination in the standing water or having a bad smell. Is the quality of the tap water transported to our homes affected by the pipes it goes through? How to test the quality of the water from your tap? Thanks! :D

take a look into the tank(s) from where the water is pumped to your taps. report back what you saw floating on the water surface and what was crawling around the tanks. then if you tell me again that you'll keep on drinking that water i'll call you a hero :)

Edited by Naam

Monty,

Thanks for the information.

I use to run my own atmospheric water generator almost 40 years ago in the science lab. Back then, it is called 'Distillation'... :D

What would I have become today if I had grown up on battery water? :)