Shelf Life Of Perfume

BlueScouse

Just a quick question,ladies.

My wife has 14 unopened bottles of perfume that I have bought over the years.

Will the scent last indefinitely as long as the bottles are unopened or should she

start giving the stuff away to her friends?

:D

Will the scent last indefinitely as long as the bottles are unopened or should she

:) I store my perfumes away from direct light . So far I have not encountered any problems with them going stale etc. :D

I keep my (expensive) perfumes in a dark place as well and haven't noticed any deterioration. I would imagine that cheap stuff might go off tho.

Why doesn't she wear her perfumes? Just curious. Even when I am not dressing up to go out, I like to wear scent. :)

I have noticed that in hot weather perfume dehydrates quickly. Unless she keeps it in the fridge like someone else suggested your missus might end up with an empty bottle in a few years time.

ok from the expert of hoarding

my grandmother was an expert at buying and collecting perfumes (and other things!)

she never used them, just kept buying more and more!

in those days you couldnt get fake, so Im sure they were all genuine expensive ones. yet after many years the smell changes, so I would suggest not to hang on to them for too long.

keeping them in the fridge helps prolong the life somewhat, but again not indefinitely.

if shes not going to use all of them in the next couple of year, I would choose to give some away now rather than when they start to look old

PS. I think at a stretch you might be able to keep for 4 years, no more! ideal should be used within 1-2 years, at which point you'd already want to store in fridge. not sure what time frame you mentioned......not having them opened doesnt save them from their fate :)

Depends on the perfume. My Marc Jacobs lasted for years, and I rarely wore it. My mum's Vivenne Westwood goes off more quickly than she can use it, and she uses it every day. When they go off it is not neccessarily they smell awful, but the smell and usually colour changes.

Depends if you have a toddler around.

A half bottle of Opium went down his throat in about five seconds flat.

And came up in about two.