Bts Station Next To Nasa Vegas Hotel (ramkamhaeng)

davejonesbkk

That is not a BTS station. It is part of the Airport Link that goes to Suvarnabhumi Airport. It will cost 150 baht a ride and is not part of the Skytrain system. It is a completely separate and independent line to get people to and from the airport to downtown Bangkok.

That is not a BTS station. It is part of the Airport Link that goes to Suvarnabhumi Airport. It will cost 150 baht a ride and is not part of the Skytrain system. It is a completely separate and independent line to get people to and from the airport to downtown Bangkok.

Seconded. It is NOT part of the BTS/MRT system.

You are mostly right, although they plan to extend the train from Makkasan station which is at Asoke/Ratchadapisek Rd. to Phaya Thai, where you will be able to transfer to the BTS Phaya Thai station. I believe it will be running all the way to Phaya Thai from the outset. In any case, that Phaya Thai station is under construction as well at this time. Further, they plan to construct a line from Phaya Thai station to Don Muang airport, although I'm not sure if they've started that one yet, and once all completed, you will be able to take an elevated train from Suvarnabhumi to Don Muang. That would solve the problem of domestic connections if any domestic airlines stay at Don Muang (if none did would make the whole Don Muang extension project pretty pointless). Of course, there seems to be confusion by various entities in the government if there is really to be a one airport policy or not.

They will have a track which is an express train straight to the airport from a big station (Makkasan or something like that) starting at Asoke/Ratchadapisek Rd. You will even be able to check in your baggage at Makkasan station as well, at the City Air Terminal (not sure about checking in for the flight, but assume so), with the special express train going from Makkasan to the airport with no stops. The express train will cost 150 baht. However, on the exact same line will be a commuter train with stops (6 to 8 stops?) running from Phaya Thai station to Suvarnabhumi. It will be cheaper and the cost will depend on your journey length. Phaya Thai is two stops further into the city from Makkasan.

Also, the BTS and MRT are separate systems, as well, so it's impossible for it to be part of the "BTS/MRT system." However, at Makkasan station, you will also be able to transfer to the MRT Phetchaburi station. So, there are two separate stations where you can transfer to other train lines, one being an MRT stop and the other a BTS stop. So, in essence, it's not "completely separate and independent" as you can transfer to the BTS or MRT from airport link stations. Same as the MRT and BTS intersect now and you can transfer.

They really should link the BTS, MRT and this airport link together with the ticketing and all, for the sake of less confusion but as the skytrain, MRT and air link are run by different government entities, therein lies the problem. I actually thought it was supposed to be part of the skytrain system for a long while, as well.

So, the OP could get on the commuter train at Rhamkhamhaeng by Nasa Vegas and hook up with the BTS or MRT, which is probably what he was hoping to be able to do.

Oh, and the "fun" thing about this line is that the express and commuter trains will run on the same track, so let's hope they get that right. Finally, if they do officially open on August 12 this year (I think a year behind original schedule) the baggage check-in at the terminal for sure won't be ready, as that's the official word.

I have a friend who works for the BTS system. She says they've been "talking" about implementing a joint ticketing system for the MRT and BTS systems for years.... but so far... nothing's come of it, and seemingly nothing on the horizon soon.

Ok thanks for the explanations. So to sum it up, from around August time, I will be able to take a BTS from Nasa vegas and connect to the sukumwit BTS line? I have been waiting for this station to open for ages now but if it does not take regular commuters onto sukumwit line then I may move from this area cos Im tired of the traffic.....

Not exactly the way you say... above...

The airport rail line is NOT BTS, but it does run past the NASA Vegas Hotel.

Once the airport line opens, the closest connection to that area will be taking the airport line to the Ratchadapisek-area station, where you can transfer to the MRT (subway) line's Petchburi station. From there, it's one station down to the Sukhumvit MRT-Asoke BTS joint station.

Or, for a direct connection from the airport line to the BTS (SkyTrain) system, you need to take the airport line to the end station at Phayathai, which is located near the BTS's Phayathai Station.

Right, assuming all is on schedule from August 12 starting at Rhamkhamhaeng station near Nasa Vegas you can take the airport link which is an "elevated train" or dare I say even "skytrain" to near an MRT station or to transfer to the BTS at Phaya Tai, which is not on Sukhumvit rd. but it is a station in the Sukhmvit line which runs a good 10 miles or more from On Nut to Mo Chit.

The noteworthy additional thing to mention about this is, that at this point, using these THREE different transit systems would require three different fare payments or passes.

There is no common ticketing, as yet, between the BTS (SkyTrain). MRT (subway), or Airport Link (SRT-State Railway of Thailand).

After all, TIT.... :)

3 systems or not, I'll be glad to see it up and running. Taking a taxi from the airport not only costs more, but can take a while if there's traffic. And it'll undercut the whole fixed fee requests. Now they'll have to come in closer to 200 - 300 baht to be competitive, which is the meter rate.

3 systems or not, I'll be glad to see it up and running. Taking a taxi from the airport not only costs more, but can take a while if there's traffic. And it'll undercut the whole fixed fee requests. Now they'll have to come in closer to 200 - 300 baht to be competitive, which is the meter rate.

hmm...i live on 71 and a taxi from Swampy including tolls is usually around 230 Baht and takes 30 mins if you know the short cut to Ram Intra.

when this opens will I take a bus to the train terminal at Swampy, line up to get a ticket then wait 15 mins for it to leave, take another 15 mins into town, unload my bags to a taxi + 10 mins and the ride +xxx mins? to save 40-50 baht? no chance.

hmm...i live on 71 and a taxi from Swampy including tolls is usually around 230 Baht and takes 30 mins if you know the short cut to Ram Intra.

when this opens will I take a bus to the train terminal at Swampy, line up to get a ticket then wait 15 mins for it to leave, take another 15 mins into town, unload my bags to a taxi + 10 mins and the ride +xxx mins? to save 40-50 baht? no chance.

Swampy. luv it. :)

Taxi drivers won't know whether its convenient enough or not. It's having the alternative that'll put pressure on the fixed fee they ask for. I want to get in the taxi, have them ask "airport?" and then reply "no, train station." They're not going to counter with 400 and I'll take you direct to the aiport. They're competing against a little over 200 so they've got to go meter and passenger pays the tolls or some reasonable fixed fee. For a little extra I'll take a taxi, but if they want to shoot for 400, the train will be fine.

I have never had any problem to get taxi from town to airport using a meter fare. Maybe sometimes someone has proposed fixed fee but i have never paid one and never had to change taxi due that. You pay per meter and you pay for toll if you take expressway. Only once years ago one driver tried and did not put the meter on. I told him after few minutes to turn it on but nothing. Arriving airport i pointed the empty meter and said thank you very much for a free ride and walked out. Man he was fast out of the car and asking me to pay the "usual" meter fare which i did. Nice try...

From airport back to town they sometimes ask, simple "no i want meter" will get them to turn the meter on. And again you pay for the toll and 50 baht extra if you take from the official que.

Bigger problem nowdays is rigged meters in taxis driving from Swampy. This year got two already and both times the drivers are complaining as i did not leave any tip but demanded my change back to the baht.

Bigger problem nowdays is rigged meters in taxis driving from Swampy. This year got two already and both times the drivers are complaining as i did not leave any tip but demanded my change back to the baht.

Rigged how... MJo... Not sure what you mean about that...in regards to meter taxis.

My experience, otherwise, has been the same as yours... Sometimes get requests for fixed fares.... in town or at the airport. Always say NO...meter... Rarely has any taxi driver ever declined.

Rigged how... MJo... Not sure what you mean about that...in regards to meter taxis.

My experience, otherwise, has been the same as yours... Sometimes get requests for fixed fares.... in town or at the airport. Always say NO...meter... Rarely has any taxi driver ever declined.

Rigged i mean their km is only 700m or so in real life. The meter shows longer distance than actually travelled. Extra 100 to 200 in metered price from Swampy to Sukhumvit.

Edit: this is easy to spot if you travel frequently. I noticed first the hight price and next day it was something like 10 to 20km less going back to Swampy using exactly the same route. But what you gonna do, difficult to prove afterwards where you have been driving with the taxi and how much the actual distance should be. So paid exactly as in the meter. Next time have to take the taxi number and complain. They had a story in Nation some time ago where they promised to do something as so many people had complained.

Edited by MJo

I live on Sukhumvit Soi 77 near the On Nut BTS station. It is about 20 km to the airport, and the meter fare is usually around 130 baht. Even with the 50 baht airport taxi charge and a tip, I rarely pay more than 200 baht to or from the airport. I would normally like the idea of a high-speed train between the airport and business district simply to avoid traffic jams and drivers who believe they are Michael Schumacher.

Taxi drivers won't know whether its convenient enough or not. It's having the alternative that'll put pressure on the fixed fee they ask for. I want to get in the taxi, have them ask "airport?" and then reply "no, train station." They're not going to counter with 400 and I'll take you direct to the aiport. They're competing against a little over 200 so they've got to go meter and passenger pays the tolls or some reasonable fixed fee. For a little extra I'll take a taxi, but if they want to shoot for 400, the train will be fine.

In probably several hundred times through old and new bkk airports, I have never paid a fixed fee to or from the airport. Some have asked, I said no.

In probably several hundred times through old and new bkk airports, I have never paid a fixed fee to or from the airport. Some have asked, I said no.

My first taxi when the airport was new, I paid 400. Just thought it was the arrangement from the curb as I had read the taxi stand was to be at the transit center.

Maybe because of that I feel really put off by just the request even if they then put the meter on, which they've always done. So instead of usually having a nice conversation with the driver, I don't talk the whole way. I get asked about 3/4 of the time so it's annoying.

While I can’t find any current source, it does sound like the Airport Rail Link Express service, non-stop between SBIA and Makasan/City Air Terminal (CAT) ( ~ 160 km/h; 15 minutes; 150 THB, service on the hour; 4-car train with red band) will commence 5 December 2009. SRT only just signed German train operator Deutsche Bahn International to operate the line. Work on the CAT seems to be progressing currently.

Not sure when City service (local; 3-car, blue band train; 15 – 45 THB) will commence serving the interim stops at Lad Krabang, Thapchang, Hua Mark, Ramkhamhaeng and stops beyond Makasan at Ratchaprarop and Phaya Thai. I doubt DBI has any real idea at present? Maybe mid-2010?

Express trains pass City trains at two stations (Lad Krabang and Hua Mark, I think).

Ultimately this line will be a boon for commuters rather than for airport passengers, with Lad Krabang and Hua Mark becoming key locations.

I live on Sukhumvit Soi 77 near the On Nut BTS station. It is about 20 km to the airport, and the meter fare is usually around 130 baht. Even with the 50 baht airport taxi charge and a tip, I rarely pay more than 200 baht to or from the airport. I would normally like the idea of a high-speed train between the airport and business district simply to avoid traffic jams and drivers who believe they are Michael Schumacher.

You can easily avoid the 50Bt airport taxi charge by going from the arrivals level (level 2) up to the departures level (level 4), and grab a cab there just as they're dropping someone else off. I actually do this, not to save 50Bt, but because I believe it's actually quicker, especially if there's a queue at the Taxi Kiosk on the arrivals level. The taxi's that have just dropped off are more than happy to take you to your destination on the meter.

Well, the silly rail link also connects so far from downtown, its a bit sad. Living over on 71, its gotta be faster to hop a bus to the Prakhanong BTS station.

Going all the way to Phaya Thai to get back to Sukhumvit makes no sense except at rush hour or on a rainy day.