Broke The Handle On Bathroom Window

davejonesbkk

Last week I opened the bathroom window, when I let go of the handle it just came off in my hand! I didnt exert any pressure at all, and its metal! I live in a serviced apartment and I know that they will try and sting me for some ridiculous price for it so I want to try and get it repaired myself or replaced. Does anyone know a company that would do this?

I will post pictures later of the window and broken handle.

Aluminum frame, Cast handle right?

If it's what I am thinking of the handle has a manufacturing defect and the casting simply breaks off when you are not looking.

The body of the handle is inside the frame so that has to come off, I puzzled this one but could not do it myself so got the window shop down the road to do for 250baht plus a new handle that was maybe 200 baht as well.

Make sure that the handle you replace it with is not the same brand as the one that broke as this brand has a problem with their QC. I have three windows that the handles broke off several times until I wised up and found a different brand which is OK.

Any shop that sells windows and window frames will do it but getting them out for such a small job will not be easy.

Edited by Rimmer

Rimmer - Excellent info, thanks a lot. Where is this shop you are talking about? I am assuming Bangkok?

"Aluminum frame, Cast handle right?" Um not sure, its one of the standard white double glazing windows with plastic frame and plastic handle...

I need to go get some batteries for my camera so I can upload pics of it, but after looking at the frame just now I have a bad feeling that a whole new window may be needed as I cant see how a new handle will be installed :)

Keep the handle safe somewhere and sick it on with super glue just before you move out. :D

Maybe that's what the last tenant did. :)

Already considered this but there is the possibility that if they opened the window when they check the room on the final day then id be screwed and look like a scumbag and they really would nail me for a huge repairs sum then. And also my friend might be moving in after so I dont think he'd be too happy about that...

Ah, all is revealed.

There should be two screws accessible from the end of the opening portion. These will be retaining the snapped off parts of the handle.

Remove the screws, recover the busted bits and head off to your local window shop, hopefully they will have a new part.

You may be able to glue the parts back together but it will never be as strong as the original :)

Yeah this is where I think there is a problem, on the onside frame of the window there are no screws where the opening portion is, nothing at all. The 2 snapped sections on the frame will not budge either and from what I can see by looking inside (though its difficult cos its such a small gap) is that they are screwed into the frame but like I said the screws do not go to the outside of the frame :)

Yeah this is where I think there is a problem, on the onside frame of the window there are no screws where the opening portion is, nothing at all. The 2 snapped sections on the frame will not budge either and from what I can see by looking inside (though its difficult cos its such a small gap) is that they are screwed into the frame but like I said the screws do not go to the outside of the frame :)

Oh <deleted> :D

Is there a trim piece covering the heads that you can remove (OK getting desperate here), or maybe even drill access holes through the end to get at the heads (I would do this if it was my place, but a serviced apartment, not a smart move).

The strain only comes on the handle in the closed position so you would likely get away with epoxying the handle back into position and leaving the window open during the inspection (have a good curry the night before to discourage closing of the window) :D

I have a friend moving into this room after I leave so I will consider glueing it but will have to check with him first. What super strength industrial glues can you recommend?

Also I think I better look into getting the whole frame replaced. Where would I go for that and what can I expect to pay?

An epoxy such as Araldite should have sufficient of strength, it will be the bond to the plastic handle that will be the weakest point. There are also some high-strength silicone glues that would also do the trick, they are also somewhat flexible which could be an advantage.

If you are considering getting the thing replaced why not have a window company take the frame off, they will likely be able to fix the beastie. But you're unlikely to be able to do either without being noticed (a 2' square window frame is not an easily concealed item when exiting the apartment complex).

Maybe just bite the bullet and tell the landlord, he may not realise the difficulty of the repair and let you get away with a small penalty :D (unless he reads Thaivisa) :)

I have around six exactly like that, they are a cheap casting which breaks even with no pressure on it. My wife thinks they get hot in the sun and snap in two so she covered them up with a cloth, .. duh. Still broke though.

You can buy the handle at any window shop and you will then be able to see how it fixes inside the frame. But getting into the frame is not easy as the bead around it has to come out.

Like I said you can't do this yourself as part of the fitting is inside the frame. The man from the window shop can do it in five minutes but you have to find a window shop that will come out for such a small thing.

lol all that fuss for nothing....saw the handy man in the corridor other day so asked him to come in and showed him the broken handle, he came back later and fixed it with a new one in 10 mins! :)

555, how did he get at the screw heads?? :D