It Was My Lucky Day...

tangoll

Last Sunday before the heavy rains came, I was planning to play tennis in the afternoon, so packed my bag of tennis gear -- old balls, shirts, shorts, underpants, wristband, headband, elbow band, and special eyeglasses. While having lunch at Burger King at Emporium, and reading newspaper, some a*hole lifted the bag which was on chair across the small table from me. I didn't notice until I was done eating and was about to leave; the bag was gone. Nothing of value -- no cash, cards, or passport -- in the bag and I do have insurance to cover the loss.

But it's irritating that someone would do this, especially I have to replace the special eyeglasses. The Customer Service staff at Emporium very helpful; took me in their van to Thonglor police station so I could file a report.

My Thai friend said that many people out of job, money, and so resort to this kind of thievery. So be warned, watch your bag and stuff at all times, and keep it attached to your body. They can be so quick.

Any ideas to exact revenge?

Irritating and annoying some scumbag does that, yes, but to exact revenge? You already said there was little value. Next time take more care. We know many are unemployed. No job = no money = need to acquire some, usually by means of theft.

Sad but often true.

There are Filipino gangs working the Emporium and area around Phrom Phong BTS station. Pickpocketing and lifting unattended bags tends to be their MO.

None less than Khunying Pojaman Shinawatra has been a victim.

There are Filipino gangs working the Emporium and area around Phrom Phong BTS station. Pickpocketing and lifting unattended bags tends to be their MO.

None less than Khunying Pojaman Shinawatra has been a victim.

I wouldn't try to lift that unattended bag :)

Take a bag full of set mouse traps and have some fun

Watch out

This also happens alot at KFC Planthip because the thiefs can walk in from the plaza snatch a bag and then walk out another door straight onto a moterbike.

colino

Apparently no video surveillance cameras in the vicinity. I thought at first the question by pumpuiman referred to my including a video camera in my list of items in the stolen bag. Came back to HK and filed my claim with thru insurance broker and I trust value would be covered in full, since I have two policiies that would apply in this case -- travel insurance and general household effects policy which also covers personal items lost outside of home. I thought my Bangkok condo policy would also provide coverage but that policy only covers lost items stolen thru forcible entry into the condo unit itself.

I'm sure Pojaman's lost bag contained a lot more valuable items than my bag which had old underpants, tennis shorts and shirts, etc.

you are not talking about emporium... au bon pain?

very surprised that this type of thing is common at the emporium. they really seem to be on top of things there. i saw a guy walk in shirtless once and there were like 4 security guards in suits coming right at him from every direction. its a fairly small place and seems like a very bad place to attempt theft as you are sure to be charged with something by people with the right connections.

well unlikely to exact revenge on the particular culprits as mentioned by the OP, this may make you feel better.

Get an expensive looking bag or backpack, then go out to your nearest soi dog location and scoop up some recent crap and put it in a plastic bag, then place inside the backpack.

write a nice note - like eat shit and die and place inside the bag along with the doggie do do. if you have an old walkman headphone, insert it as well - leaving the ear pieces dangling outside (bait)

then head back to the place where you lost your original one. place your loaded up backpack in a similar position and wait.

once it's gone - smile.