Australian Teaching Qualifications

I have a BA and a Graduate Diploma in Teaching from an Australian University. Also various other GCE A levels and a two year Advanced Diploma in Design. I am registered with an Australian Teaching College and have taught State High School for ten years. I am qualified to teach Materials Science, Art and Design graphics as well as Media studies and English. I have taught Computing Studies as well. I would say that I am a pretty good teacher and take it seriously. I often get groups of very difficult and tough kids assigned to me, as I like this sort of challenge. However, I have not taught English full time. I am completing my TEFL.

Q. Would I have enough to stand any chance of working at an International School?

I know quite a few Aussies that work here at the better Internationals. They do tend to have UK experience though so not sure where you would stand.

A "walk-in" would perhaps be your best opportunity. Smartly dressed, well presented, ready to give a demo etc.

3. It is inflammatory to refer to teachers in general or groups of teachers (by age, nationality, ethnicity, age, sexual preference, religion, or gender) in negative terms. It is also inflammatory to refer to the group of posters on this forum in negative terms. You may relate anecdotes about individual teachers who specifically deserve criticism in relation to some part of their identity as listed above, but such remarks should be carefully considered. The moderators reserve the right to determine if such statements about individual teachers remain on the forum.

Exercising my right as a mod, I have excised comments.

i think it really depends upon what teaching you plan to do... teach at a private language school, or a regular thai school (usually ESL class), or an international school for thais, or an international school for expat kids (in that order of qualifications rigor).

my daughter goes to ISB, and i have known some highly qualified experienced teachers not able to get a job there. however, my wife works at a middle tier international school in bkk (now undergoing WASC approval) and she is only one of a few teachers that actually has teaching credentials from the West (many others are getting Thai teaching credentials at night). getting a job at this school is relatively easy.

i think for the thai international schools and language schools should be no problem for you. you should also be able to qualify for most of the middle tier expat international schools (particularly british curriculum). the handful of top tier schools may be tougher because for these schools, it depends more on who you know (from working with other teachers/principals around the globe) than your qualifications.

i hope this helps. cheers.

Edited by robanywhere

i think it really depends upon what teaching you plan to do... teach at a private language school, or a regular thai school (usually ESL class), or an international school for thais, or an international school for expat kids (in that order of qualifications rigor).

my daughter goes to ISB, and i have known some highly qualified experienced teachers not able to get a job there. however, my wife works at a middle tier international school in bkk (now undergoing WASC approval) and she is only one of a few teachers that actually has teaching credentials from the West (many others are getting Thai teaching credentials at night). getting a job at this school is relatively easy.

i think for the thai international schools and language schools should be no problem for you. you should also be able to qualify for most of the middle tier expat international schools (particularly british curriculum). the handful of top tier schools may be tougher because for these schools, it depends more on who you know (from working with other teachers/principals around the globe) than your qualifications.

i hope this helps. cheers.

Thanks for the above comments. I am really looking to teach at a Thai school as apart from the benefits of such an experience I am learning Thai. Seems as though it would be worth a try - knock on a few doors next time I am there. Thanks.