Thai Insults

longstebe

Time for some laughter.

The wife said something to me in Thai the other day,I knew it was meant to be bad, from her tone.

So I asked,as you do, "what does that mean". She replied "your face looks like the back of my foot".(na son teem). I cracked up.

So,I would like your favourite insults in English-Thai. Keep it clean so we don't get closed down.

ไอ้คนบ้ากาม! (ai khohn baa gaam) = sex-crazed pervert.

ไอ้ตัว (ai dtuaa) = male prostitute.

ไอ้แก่ตัณหากลับ! (ai gaae dtan haa glap) = Old man possessed by Sex despite senility.

It's really kind of hard to post insults without using "profanity", although if transliterated into English the insults are actually pretty funny and wouldn't be considered profane at all (such as the classic ควาย "Kwaai", buffalo, or stupid person). A few I can think of that I hope don't get this thread closed down....

อีเหี้ย ("ee-hia", falling tone on 'hia') - the 'hia' is a type of large lizard that lives in the dirtiest of swampy environments and will eat anything (literally). In Thai culture, if one sees this animal, it's a sign of bad luck; and if one kills this animal, it's extremely bad luck. To call a woman this is probably the equivalent of saying "bi*ch", but a really really bad "bi*ch". A derogatory way of addressing a female is to first use the particle "ee" before the word or name that you call her. Very bad insult.

อีตัว ("ee-dtua") - once again, notice the prefix "ee" followed by "dtua" which literally means "a body". This is basically calling the woman a whore, such that she is merely just "a body". WARNING: Do not ever say this word, unless you're absolutely certain that you will never speak to her again. Most Thais will not forgive if you use this word, and really will not talk to you again, ever. This is probably one of the worst insults for a woman.

กะหรี่ ("ga-ree") - literally means "curry", but in a derogatory context it's calling a female a whore. Some Thais may consider this an even worse insult than the previous "ee-dtua". So it's really not a good idea to say it, unless referring to food.

ดอกทอง ("dawg-tawng") - literally means "golden flower", not sure of the metaphorical meaning; but nevertheless, it is calling a woman a whore or prostitue. Extremely rude word as well.

แพศยา ("paet-sa-yah", falling tone on "paet", rising tone on "yah") - a prostitute

อี / ไอ้ สัตว์ ("ee / ai - saht") - "saht" literally meaning "animal". "ee" or "ai" prefix used for addressing a female or male, respectively. A very rude insult.

หัวควย ("hua-kuay", rising tone on "hua") - a <deleted>

ควย ("kuay") - a dick (in a derogatory sense). Usually two men or boys will be the setting in which this word is used for arguing or insulting each other.

ช้างน้ำ ("chaang-naam", high tones on both syllables) - literally translated as "water elephant", but means "a walrus". But in a derogatory context, to call a person "chaang-naam" is sort of like calling them a "fat ass" (really overweight person, in a derogatory manner).

ปากหมา ("bpaag-maah", rising tone on "maah") - literally meaning "dog mouth", it's used if one is trying to call someone a foul-mouthed jerk or something like this. It's a pretty intense insult though, so be careful to avoid using it unless you are so angry that you can't stand to hear one more bad word from that person's mouth.

แม่งเอ๊ย ("maeng-eeuy", falling tone on "maeng", high tone on "eeuy") - this is not easy to spell in English, due to the fact that we don't really have any words that produce the sound of the second syllable "eeuy". It's similar to the "oy" sound, like in the word "joy"; but I think an easier way to say it correctly is to imagine you're saying "uhh" (as when you think about something) and continue into a long e sound ("ee")... "uhh-ee". Anyway, this means like "dam_n" or "shit". If frustrated a person may say this word on occasion, but not necessarily directed at any individual person. It's not a polite word needless to say.

มึง ("meung") - another difficult one to say for some westerners because we don't have this vowel sound "eu" in our languages. But this is a very rude way of addressing someone (male or female) as "you" (2nd person pronoun). It may be comparable to saying "you bastard" in terms of the profanity and insult level it conveys.

Well, this is all I have time for now. And I hope it doesn't get this thread taken down because of the word content. I'm simply giving this as educational information for someone to understand the culture better and know a few of the words to avoid using in formal (and sometimes even informal) situations.

• Like 1

กะหรี่ ("ga-ree") - literally means "curry", but in a derogatory context it's calling a female a whore. Some Thais may consider this an even worse insult than the previous "ee-dtua". So it's really not a good idea to say it, unless referring to food.

I always wondered whether this word was derived from the name of the evil Hindu goddess Kali. (most Thais would colloquially pronounce the word ga-lee, or ka-lee).

Very dangerous topic this. I will add some more although I think the previous poster did a comprehensive job.

เสือก "seuak" you nosy c**t. Highly specific insult and will cause a massive reaction. Don't use it.

ไอ้/อีตากเน่า "Ai/Ee dtak nao" You collapsed bowel. Stinky arse. Very insulting. Don't use it.

แรด "raet" rhinoceros. I'm not quite sure how this is used but I think it's gender-specific to women in which case it would probably be "Ee raet". Probably best not to use it.

Edited by Briggsy

Very dangerous topic this. I will add some more although I think the previous poster did a comprehensive job.

เสือก "seuak" you nosy c**t. Highly specific insult and will cause a massive reaction. Don't use it.

ไอ้/อีตากเน่า "Ai/Ee dtak nao" You collapsed bowel. Stinky arse. Very insulting. Don't use it.

แรด "raet" rhinoceros. I'm not quite sure how this is used but I think it's gender-specific to women in which case it would probably be "Ee raet". Probably best not to use it.

Oh wow! I thought I knew them all, but I'm learning a lot of new ones here. "Collapsed bowel". Reads more like putrid arse. How descriptive! :):D:D

It's really kind of hard to post insults without using "profanity", although if transliterated into English the insults are actually pretty funny and wouldn't be considered profane at all (such as the classic ควาย "Kwaai", buffalo, or stupid person). A few I can think of that I hope don't get this thread closed down....

อีเหี้ย ("ee-hia", falling tone on 'hia') - the 'hia' is a type of large lizard that lives in the dirtiest of swampy environments and will eat anything (literally). In Thai culture, if one sees this animal, it's a sign of bad luck; and if one kills this animal, it's extremely bad luck. To call a woman this is probably the equivalent of saying "bi*ch", but a really really bad "bi*ch". A derogatory way of addressing a female is to first use the particle "ee" before the word or name that you call her. Very bad insult.

อีตัว ("ee-dtua") - once again, notice the prefix "ee" followed by "dtua" which literally means "a body". This is basically calling the woman a whore, such that she is merely just "a body". WARNING: Do not ever say this word, unless you're absolutely certain that you will never speak to her again. Most Thais will not forgive if you use this word, and really will not talk to you again, ever. This is probably one of the worst insults for a woman.

ดอกทอง ("dawg-tawng") - literally means "golden flower", not sure of the metaphorical meaning; but nevertheless, it is calling a woman a whore or prostitue. Extremely rude word as well.

แพศยา ("paet-sa-yah", falling tone on "paet", rising tone on "yah") - a prostitute

อี / ไอ้ สัตว์ ("ee / ai - saht") - "saht" literally meaning "animal". "ee" or "ai" prefix used for addressing a female or male, respectively. A very rude insult.

หัวควย ("hua-kuay", rising tone on "hua") - a <deleted>

ควย ("kuay") - a dick (in a derogatory sense). Usually two men or boys will be the setting in which this word is used for arguing or insulting each other.

ช้างน้ำ ("chaang-naam", high tones on both syllables) - literally translated as "water elephant", but means "a walrus". But in a derogatory context, to call a person "chaang-naam" is sort of like calling them a "fat ass" (really overweight person, in a derogatory manner).

ปากหมา ("bpaag-maah", rising tone on "maah") - literally meaning "dog mouth", it's used if one is trying to call someone a foul-mouthed jerk or something like this. It's a pretty intense insult though, so be careful to avoid using it unless you are so angry that you can't stand to hear one more bad word from that person's mouth.

แม่งเอ๊ย ("maeng-eeuy", falling tone on "maeng", high tone on "eeuy") - this is not easy to spell in English, due to the fact that we don't really have any words that produce the sound of the second syllable "eeuy". It's similar to the "oy" sound, like in the word "joy"; but I think an easier way to say it correctly is to imagine you're saying "uhh" (as when you think about something) and continue into a long e sound ("ee")... "uhh-ee". Anyway, this means like "dam_n" or "shit". If frustrated a person may say this word on occasion, but not necessarily directed at any individual person. It's not a polite word needless to say.

มึง ("meung") - another difficult one to say for some westerners because we don't have this vowel sound "eu" in our languages. But this is a very rude way of addressing someone (male or female) as "you" (2nd person pronoun). It may be comparable to saying "you bastard" in terms of the profanity and insult level it conveys.

Well, this is all I have time for now. And I hope it doesn't get this thread taken down because of the word content. I'm simply giving this as educational information for someone to understand the culture better and know a few of the words to avoid using in formal (and sometimes even informal) situations.

All sounds familiar especially in red. My employees calls me that almost everyday (behind my back and sometimes in front of me when quitting) 555555

Edited by Misplaced

Yes.

Gender specific to men & basically translated as a you stud or pimp! :D

I am all for learning on Thai Visa forum, however, there are some things better not learned until one is in full control of their Thai language abilities because, from personal experience, these words tend to come out at the completely wrong moments.

Note on Thai swearwords - the simple translations may not mean much to you, however, to call someone "ai sut" (fuc_king animal) is like calling someone the worst name/insult you could think up in your home tongue. In the wrong situation, this could lead to someone getting the shit kicked out of them, knived or shot, however, amongst beer drinking buddies who have known each other for years, not a problem.

Please treat Thai slang/swearwords with caution if you are not fully understanding of their contexts/meanings. :)

Closed (because English language is the only language permitted on this forum, except the Thai language section). :D

• Like 1