Relocation In Thailand - Where To Go?

G54

I feel I am being hemmed in where I am. I do have some good relationships here with a lot of Thai people, yet everywhere I go I am known. Not always a bad thing, but it does start to feel claustrophobic when I am being questioned about my movements and why and who etc. Typical small town gossip maybe, but it is hindering me and has reached a point where I feel a change of scene would be better.

So I have been thinking of relocating to elsewhere in Thailand and starting afresh. Yet I am unsure of where to go. Therefore I am seeking opinions and ideas from TV members.

Let me say that Pattaya, Phuket and BKK are all places I do not want to go to.

What am I looking for?

A place that has decent pubs / clubs (Thai or English music is OK). Preferably no corkage fees.

I would like to rent a town house, or similar. Being amongst Thais as neighbours is no problem. Also I have my own furniture.

A good size market would be nice for when I go shopping for clothes, shoes (UK 11) and food.

Somewhere with the internet and cable t.v. (I do not want sattelite internet or True t.v.)

Friendly people would be good.

I feel that too small a place might not be a good idea. I have done village life.

I understand Chiang Mai is a good place, but would like to hear of other places too.

If anyone would like to post a reply with details, of costs of living, lifestyle, shopping, local amenities such as parks etc., ladies (not b/g, they do not interest me).

Advantages / disadvantages?

I'd be happy to read them to help me decide on where to consider next.

Don't ask people here, you'll never never get a good answer because what one might find appealing the other finds unappealing. Start traveling, explore the country you live in, travel abroad (seriously Thailand aint all that) to Lao, Cambodia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Myanmar. One day you will find a place you like and stay there. When your 'known' again you can continue your travel. Aint that the reason why you left home? For Freedom.

Don't ask people here, you'll never never get a good answer because what one might find appealing the other finds unappealing. Start traveling, explore the country you live in, travel abroad (seriously Thailand aint all that) to Lao, Cambodia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Myanmar. One day you will find a place you like and stay there. When your 'known' again you can continue your travel. Aint that the reason why you left home? For Freedom.

:)

I feel I am being hemmed in where I am. I do have some good relationships here with a lot of Thai people, yet everywhere I go I am known. Not always a bad thing, but it does start to feel claustrophobic when I am being questioned about my movements and why and who etc. Typical small town gossip maybe, but it is hindering me and has reached a point where I feel a change of scene would be better.

So I have been thinking of relocating to elsewhere in Thailand and starting afresh. Yet I am unsure of where to go. Therefore I am seeking opinions and ideas from TV members.

Let me say that Pattaya, Phuket and BKK are all places I do not want to go to.

What am I looking for?

A place that has decent pubs / clubs (Thai or English music is OK). Preferably no corkage fees.

I would like to rent a town house, or similar. Being amongst Thais as neighbours is no problem. Also I have my own furniture.

A good size market would be nice for when I go shopping for clothes, shoes (UK 11) and food.

Somewhere with the internet and cable t.v. (I do not want sattelite internet or True t.v.)

Friendly people would be good.

I feel that too small a place might not be a good idea. I have done village life.

I understand Chiang Mai is a good place, but would like to hear of other places too.

If anyone would like to post a reply with details, of costs of living, lifestyle, shopping, local amenities such as parks etc., ladies (not b/g, they do not interest me).

Advantages / disadvantages?

I'd be happy to read them to help me decide on where to consider next.

Roi-Et

I like Nakhom Pathom. close to BKK. but still easy to get around and has ok bars and clubs.

Allan

They have a good pizza place too, Snow White's I think? But, depending on where you live, too much order from the pig farms. Really bad traffic and driving too. Try Phitsanuloke? Suko Thai? Chang Rai? There is a town between Chang Rai and Phitsanuloke on a large body of water...can't think of the name but a decent size with places to eat and seems quiet...